Avalon Olympic #1190 General discussion thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that bass on the wall talk when you walk by it? I saw one at a store that did that.....should have bought it!

HA...That Striper was caught Nov 11 of 1987 it was only 36 lb's 10 oz and 44" long but the biggest I have ever caught off the surf, I've had bigger off a boat but they don't count , been surf fishin' all my life.......... I couldnt tell ya how much my two kids weighed though :)....

I dont know crap about your stove but...
- nice avatar (great year)
- nice screen name (now Im thirsty)
- Your burn time most def has something to do the wood you mentioned. Greener wood needs more air intake, which allows more heat to go up your stack and not in your house. The more air also causes the fire to burn quicker, which would lead to fires not lasting as long as they would with good seasoned wood. You'll get there.

I've had an Olympic for a few years now. It was always a secondary heater for me as I also burned a Tarm indoor wood boiler. Unfortunately, the boiler sprung a leak in the firebox last year and is no longer an option. So, to try and save on oil, I'm now using the Olympic to heat my house. I'm still learning the best way to get the most heat from the stove, but it seems to work best when I keep the stove hotter and the fan lower. I always ran the fan higher with the stove temps lower. It's probably common knowledge, but I always thought running the fan higher would blow more heat.

I grabbed about 25 pieces of well seasoned oak, maple from my buddys house to see if any difference than the wood I have.

I got a longer burn time out of the well seasoned stuff about 8 hours on a full stove , down to coals.

I am pretty happy with that

Status
Not open for further replies.