2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes ash is better. If bought a bottle of Rutland glass cleaner 10 years ago and then I discovered ash and water. Still have over 1/2 a bottle. If it does not come off with a bit of scrubbing I leave it for about few more hot burns.

I find the same thing as @arnermd. My glass doesn't stay the cleanest but at the end of most burns I go full air and get it clean enough. If I kept my air open enough to keep the glass clean, I would roast out of my house. It only gets black when I do a low overnight burn.

Reactions: Hbob
Dogwood winter is here so the stove is hot again! Mowed grass yesterday and fired up the stove last night. Burned a 1/2 box with the cat in the 1200's when I reloaded at 10PM. I let the cat run and cut the air to about 40% then cut it back when the cat was in the high 1400's. Good burn and plenty in the box at 8 this morning, cat and STT at 370. Opened the air and let the glass burn off then cut the air to 50% and went out. Came back about 11 and reloaded about 1/2 box, cat was in the high 500's. Let the cat run to 100 and cut the air back to about 40% and sat back and enjoyed the heat. Cat ran into the 1500's and then settled and slowly dropped. Stove is running like it should, totally behaving and enjoyable.