Backdraft on stove when not in-use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjbaer

Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2006
OH
OK, folks...I came out of the ashcan long enough to ask a decent question. I have a Jotul insert with a full liner and block-off plate and the cap is sealed to the tile at the top of the chimney. Occasionally I'll get a whiff of "stove" when the stoves not even on and it's undoubtedly caused by negative pressure (something like a dryer, water heater of bathroom fan pulling a draft through the stove) or a positive overpressure outside which forces some air into the chimney, through the stove and into the living room. What do you folks do to either lessen the draft (like open a window) or to reduce somewhat the "stove smell" (put a box of baking soda in the stove or air freshener, etc)? On the newer stoves you can damp the air down only so low but air can still flow through the primary and the scondary, of which (secondayr) I have no control over.

Clean the chimney and the stove and plug the liner put a note on the stove to remind yourself it is pluged and have a nice summer.

stoveguy13 said:
Clean the chimney and the stove and plug the liner put a note on the stove to remind yourself it is pluged and have a nice summer.

stoveguy,

I knew that was going to be the answer but didn't want to plug it....just my luck that on the first night I want to use it that it's late and I find myself up on the roof trying to remove the plug......

so, do you also have that problem?

you can remove the whole secondary air assembly on the 450 from inside the stove plug it at the stove side of the liner no need to get on the roof. yea it smelled the first year i have the f500

My neighbor super cleans the stove and chimney, using a large plastic pan he uses a 5lb bag of the mulit-cat high deodorant cat litter with two boxes of baking soda stirred in. And last he blocks as best he can the air intake. I don't do anything except clean the stove and pipe and hope I get a little back puff every now and then of nostalgia sake.

There's probably no way (short of blocking off the pipe) to eliminate the down draft completely (especially during the summer months - with quick moving storms, changes in air pressure, etc. - see "skylight blowout" in the DIY section, :grrr: )

This year, so far, I haven't had a problem (with the change of stoves and new liner), but I used to get the smoke/creosote odor sometimes (usually during hot, muggy days), but it was never really bad - just noticeable.

I could be way off base here, so take this with a grain of salt, but I thought a while ago (and I think it might have been Elk who originally posted this possible fix.... never tried it, but I don't see how it would hurt the liner at all), is sprinkling baking soda down the chimney/liner after you clean it.

Obviously, I'm not a chemist, but I think baking soda has a high pH, and soot or creosote should or ought to have a relatively low pH, so adding that ought to help break down or neutralize the odor... I would think.

Harley said:
There's probably no way (short of blocking off the pipe) to eliminate the down draft completely (especially during the summer months - with quick moving storms, changes in air pressure, etc. - see "skylight blowout" in the DIY section, :grrr: )

went to the post.....it was about skylights not liners backdrafting.....did I miss something......? thanks.

Webmaster said:
You must have read all the posts about stove deodorant....it really works.

Try the Rutland Brand.

I see said the blind man ......missed that part. Thanks.

I'm not sure about this high PH low PH stuff. When you combine an acid and a base you get a salt. I don't think I would want salt in my stove.
Are the reminents of the fire, which are left in the stove and stove pipe really low in Ph? I would assume they maybe because I know oak leaves are very acidic. That's why I have to lime my yard every so often.

Just a thought.

castiron said:
Harley said:

went to the post.....it was about skylights not liners backdrafting.....did I miss something......? thanks.

Sorry Cast... just meant the inside/outside changes in pressure can happen quickly, and a lot especially during the summer. That's probably what contributed to the breaking of the glass in the skylight.

Harley said:
castiron said:
Harley said:

Sorry Cast... just meant the inside/outside changes in pressure can happen quickly, and a lot especially during the summer. That's probably what contributed to the breaking of the glass in the skylight.

reread it....understand.....I can sense that happening at times if I'm sitting next to it when it happens.........thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.