Backup inverter Advice please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lrocha11

Jan 2, 2022
Macdoel, ca
Hello,
I live in way northern California. It is very cold and often stormy. I am attempting to set up a power back up in case of power failure for my Ravelli RV80. Any input on successful products would be greatly appreciated. I do not understand wattage, etc....
L

Put in a whole house back up Gen using LP or natural gas
Power goes out automatically starts. Keeps your home warm and the lights on
I have had one for 22 years now would not be without it.
It has never affected the delicate electronics in my home

I have a Generac5882 NG---It's a stand by and I love it and had it for 10 or more years..So easy electricity goes off and I am sitting warm and watching TV...It's like a used car engine and it exercises once a week for about 20 minutes--would not be without it--and if I ever move will convert it to LP (if I have too) and bury the tank in the ground...Gosh I had neighbors come over and ask me if they could plug their extension cord into my outlet so that their refrigerator stays on with a small light...They have fine looking solar ones now but have not checked into them..clancey

Reactions: Washed-Up
Budget? Also what do you want to accomplish? Just enough to shut down or to run for a while? That makes a huge difference. I went the budget version and picked up an old APC 1500 SmartUPC and added two 100 amp batteries from Walmart for about 200 bucks total price. UPC was 30 bucks on Facebook Marketplace and have 6 hours of run time (battery to 50 percent).

A standard computer UPS of 1200-1500 watt size should do for shut down.

That shows that you have a good budget sense and skill level as well..If I had a support system maybe I would go your route but not in my circumstances. Well I had friends tell me that when the lights go out that they would bring their extra generator over here for me to save money and not buy this stand by..paid about four thousand dollars for generator and "hook up --permits , gas. electric, and placement and never ever regretted it..especially in the middle of winter when something happens and everybody "when it colder than a well diggers a--" out there asking neighbors " if they called the electric company yet and is their lights on yet " then when your type runs out of gas or" whatever " you need to walk blocks in the snow to fill up the gas can and bring it home to refill the generator not me its all automatic and I just sit there and watch tv or take a nice long hot shower and enjoy my bounty.. Now they are triple in price...clancey

Reactions: johneh
A whole house standby gennie is waaaaay overkill just for keeping a pellet stove running.

I would get a sizable computer UPS, and a smallish (2000 watts?) inverter generator. The UPS will run the stove long enough to get the generator going and UPS plugged into it.

Reactions: EbS-P
A whole house standby gennie is waaaaay overkill just for keeping a pellet stove running.

I would get a sizable computer UPS, and a smallish (2000 watts?) inverter generator. The UPS will run the stove long enough to get the generator going and UPS plugged into it.
My understanding is the inverter generator needs a good full sine wave output for the ups to see that power is back on. I read somewhere that you can’t power one ups off of another because the ups output is a simulated sine wave or a square wave which the ups will not recognize as clean power keeping itself running on the battery.

Not when it's -40::C
But then again in Blue Noise Country, it doesn't get that cold ah

Not when it's -40::C
But then again in Blue Noise Country, it doesn't get that cold ah
It doesn't matter how cold it is out - the stove will only draw so many watts.

I use AIMS 1250 and couple of 100ah Batteries on my Harmon XXV for 10-12 hours run time. Only used it one time since 2018. 10 hours power off. I got 2nd Battery after that. Had to use Generator Battery to make up the difference. I also have 7kw Non Sine Wave Generator for Well and Lights. Have not done more than test (Transfer Panel)

Backup inverter Advice please! Backup inverter Advice please!

It doesn't matter how cold it is out - the stove will only draw so many watts.
Well when the battery is dead and your power is still out
then what will you do
Me I rely on my geny to run the house

Reactions: clancey
I have a 2500 inverter generator that I currently use when the power goes out. Easily runs the pellet stove, fridge, some light etc.

I am out in the country and lose power a bit. I will be putting in a transfer switch and getting a larger generator so I can run the well, hot water heater and to just make it more convenient.

I am planning on getting a dual fuel generator so I can use LP or gas.

Well when the battery is dead and your power is still out
then what will you do
Me I rely on my geny to run the house
Yes but the battery shouldn't go dead if your inverter generator is plugged into it. Which is what I suggested. And is what I do. Except that it doesn't have a pellet stove hooked to it, it has a wood boiler circulator hooked to it.

Yes but the battery shouldn't go dead if your inverter generator is plugged into it. Which is what I suggested. And is what I do. Except that it doesn't have a pellet stove hooked to it, it has a wood boiler circulator hooked to it.
Sorry Maple one my bad I did not see the inverter genny part
I apologize

I use AIMS 1250 and couple of 100ah Batteries on my Harmon XXV for 10-12 hours run time. Only used it one time since 2018. 10 hours power off. I got 2nd Battery after that. Had to use Generator Battery to make up the difference. I also have 7kw Non Sine Wave Generator for Well and Lights. Have not done more than test (Transfer Panel)

View attachment 288979 View attachment 288980
I can second this setup as I have the exact same thing. Since I installed it 2 years ago the power has gone out once during the winter and then only for 15 min but the P43 didn't skip a beat.

sam

We use a pure sine wave inverter (600W) connected to two 12V RV deep-cycle batteries in parallel.
This is outside in our RV , we run a extension cord through the window to the pellet stove.
Runs about 12hrs, then gets recharged during the day with a gas-powered portable generator.
Can also continue to run the stove while batteries are being charged during the day.

Reactions: clancey and johneh