Backup power for stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I'm a wood burner, so don't know much about pellet stoves. I'm suggesting, to a friend a pellet stove might be heat solution for the lower level guest rooms she just built. But with the occasional power outages the rooms need to be heated with a stove and no power.

So question to my brothers with pellet stoves. Is there a battery backup that could run your stove for a few days? Or any other ideas.

Thanks Tom

Not economically. Lots of batteries,inverter/charger system, install and maintenance.
That's my opinion.
NG or LPG direct vent pilot ignition heater would be better, they act as convection with no power, as just the little blower does not work.
Also my opinion. That is/ has been my backup, up here in the mountains, when power is out. Or for just taking the chill off quickly.
But there will be other opinions.

Battery back up a few hours at best unless you have a way to keep battery charged
Most people here have a backup generator for power outages.
At least I do

I came here this morning to post a similar question. I have a Harman P68. I do have a whole house generator that runs off my tractor and is a bit to hook up, and am looking for something to cover the 3-5 hour power outages to make sure the house is warm and save the tractor generator for when it is getting closer to that 5 hour mark and it seems a fix is not close.

What are the options in this kind of case? What does it mean battery backup? What would need to be taken into consideration?

I did read something about sine wave and non sine wave? Whats that all about? Would something like this work, or are there better options? Amazon product ASIN B077Y62GSJ

There is a lot of threads here on the forum about this. It all depends on technical skill and the money a person wants to put out. A number of us have systems that can run up to 12 hours, others just have systems that will give you 15-30 mins to shut the stove down or enough time to get the generator running.

Cheap + technical know how= a system 10-12 hours
Cheap + no technical know how = 15-30 mins run time
Expensive= sky is the limit

I came here this morning to post a similar question. I have a Harman P68. I do have a whole house generator that runs off my tractor and is a bit to hook up, and am looking for something to cover the 3-5 hour power outages to make sure the house is warm and save the tractor generator for when it is getting closer to that 5 hour mark and it seems a fix is not close.

What are the options in this kind of case? What does it mean battery backup? What would need to be taken into consideration?

I did read something about sine wave and non sine wave? Whats that all about? Would something like this work, or are there better options? Amazon product ASIN B077Y62GSJ

I have a old version of that UPS I picked up for 25 bucks off of Craigslist and just adding 2 deep cycle batteries and can get 8-10 hours out of it. Works great for the stove.

Sine wave is preferred as it is close to the power coming to your house, non sine wave or square wave, or modified sine wave is cheaper but less preferred for units with circuit board.

What you need is a power station, such as a Jackery or Goal Zero. There are other companies, but these are the main two. They’re like lithium power jumper packs on steroids. Both companies offer units above 1000Wh, which is probably what you would need to power that stove several hours, but at $1 per watt, they aren’t cheap yet. We bought a Jackery 1000 to back feed my parents off grid cabin in Maine. Works beautifully. Check them out.

I'm a wood burner, so don't know much about pellet stoves. I'm suggesting, to a friend a pellet stove might be heat solution for the lower level guest rooms she just built. But with the occasional power outages the rooms need to be heated with a stove and no power.

So question to my brothers with pellet stoves. Is there a battery backup that could run your stove for a few days? Or any other ideas.

Thanks Tom

The power outages- frequent or infrequent, short duration (10-30 min) or long (hours)?

this recent thread should give you some info--

sam

Hey ya'all, it's reading comprehension. From his first post--
"Is there a battery backup that could run your stove for a few days?"

Reactions: Washed-Up
Stay away from Jackry. It's just expensive PSW Inverter. Put the money in Batteries. I use AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger with two 100ah Batteries for Harmon XXV. I have about 12 hours of use on Medium Fan Speed/Manual.

To get beyond that I just got 1000w PSW Generator. I also have 7kw Generator to charge up batteries and Well. Posted the link on Tractor Supply Store (180 bucks). Ran the Pellet stove for test. Could not tell the difference.

Won't get us thru more than week with amount of propane I have on hand. But town is only 5 miles and longest power outages was last year. 10 hours. Been here Since Sep 2011. One outage so far of 30 min this Season. Pellet stove was off (40f day).

I did a lot of research and settled on AIMS. Jackery is not going to run your stove for long. Plus it's expensive. The AIMS is Inverter/Charger and keeps the batteries charged too. It needs 2000w to run off Generator so my 1k Generator won't cut it. But hey I can deal with it. Batteries need charge I can run the big 7k generator.

Aims will do more than few days with enough Battery Power. But small generator will be cheaper by far. It would be about $1,000 per day of batteries. Plus they wear out quickly vs Generator (Age). ($250 per 100ah LA Battery with Four per 24 hours). I paid few dollar less for Generator.

Reactions: scajjr2

Thanks Tom

Think most of us was rifting off of "Or any other idea's?" part of the post. Mt Bob you answered the first part of his question with your first post.

Stay away from Jackry. It's just expensive PSW Inverter. Put the money in Batteries. I use AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger with two 100ah Batteries for Harmon XXV. I have about 12 hours of use on Medium Fan Speed/Manual.

To get beyond that I just got 1000w PSW Generator. I also have 7kw Generator to charge up batteries and Well. Posted the link on Tractor Supply Store (180 bucks). Ran the Pellet stove for test. Could not tell the difference.

Won't get us thru more than week with amount of propane I have on hand. But town is only 5 miles and longest power outages was last year. 10 hours. Been here Since Sep 2011. One outage so far of 30 min this Season. Pellet stove was off (40f day).

I did a lot of research and settled on AIMS. Jackery is not going to run your stove for long. Plus it's expensive. The AIMS is Inverter/Charger and keeps the batteries charged too. It needs 2000w to run off Generator so my 1k Generator won't cut it. But hey I can deal with it. Batteries need charge I can run the big 7k generator.

Aims will do more than few days with enough Battery Power. But small generator will be cheaper by far. It would be about $1,000 per day of batteries. Plus they wear out quickly vs Generator (Age). ($250 per 100ah LA Battery with Four per 24 hours). I paid few dollar less for Generator.
Like I said, the Jackery is not cheap, but I wouldn’t say to stay away from them. Is it best for his situation? I’m not sure, but they are really nice units, they are very all in one convenient package, and they are very reliable. Same thing with goal zero, which are even more expensive. You won’t find hardly any bad reviews for either of them.

I would agree that a gas generator is by far the cheapest and best long term solution. The only major downside obviously being fuel availability, and so it’s not entirely independent.

for extended outages aka 2 weeks like what happened in Oklahoma ice storm about 20 years ago

one runs the smallest possible generator. that's when I was running my JUCA custom insert with electric blower. I had an old Yamaha 600 watt that run continuously and a horrible loud home depot special

now days its hard to beat whisper quiet Honda EU2000i .. sine wave, runs a long time. put two in parallel option

Imagine how many Jackry you will need for 36 hours run time. Even normal Inverter/Charger the batteries will be very expensive.

A 2000 watt inverter generator, with fresh "E " free gasoline on hand with stabilizer that I date and rotate.. would be my choice. And a sine wave UPS to get you thru the time from outage to generator hook up..

For days you will need some sort of generator. Ideally to me would be a small one that you could run off propane as you wouldn't need to be concerned with gas getting stale. You can find small Inverter generators which I believe produce the pure sign wave that you would want. Converting to propane may be the issue. As mentioned above good fuel and stabilizer may be a good option. Seafoam claims and I believe it because i use it in most of my stuff, to keep gas fresh for 2 years.

Provide Link for Propane 1k PSW Generator. Only one I know of is Honda Unit with Kit to adapt it 3rd party.

Never Mind;

This place sells kits, but the link on their page is broken. If they sell kit for Sportsman 1k PSW Generator I guess I will have to call. Or just live with Gasoline

Last edited:
Reactions: tlc1976
Wow 60 hours nonstop on a tank I can rob from my bbq grille in a pinch.

I just got my little 1kw Sportsman generator the other day. Would love a LP conversion kit for it. Besides the runtime, not having the issues of old gas sitting in it.