Bacon Grease Fire Starter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I have big jar of bacon grease. Anyone have ideas on how to make a good firestarter with it. I dont think it sets up like wax and could get real messy. My guess is mix it with sawdust in egg carton sections?

When I've thrown something with bacon grease on it in the fire, it always went up like a torch! I don't think there would be a practical way of storing it though. Maybe it is a use it when you have it type of thing?

Sawdust and bacon grease won’t set up much. I think it would be very messy indeed. Not sure how practical, but I am thinking of a more fat wood approach. Something like soaking one end of a piece of kindling (or something like that). Gelled (cold) or liquid (warm) would probable both work.

Mix it in a big jar with sawdust, keep a spoon in the jar to scoop it out. Keep a lid on it when not in use. Same thing we have done in the past, except we used diesel fuel.

We save ours for cooking. We do, however, drain the cooked bacon on paper towels, and there was a member here who posted some time ago about using his grease-soaked paper towels as fire starters.

I imagine you could make something similar with stored grease if you wanted, too, though I personally liked ABMax24’s suggestion above for sealed jar of sawdust mixture. I wonder if you could put a dollop in a bathroom tissue roll (we save those for fire starters) and fold the ends or just egg carton cups as you mentioned earlier. I would store it in the jar and only use when needed because of the mess factor instead of trying to prepare them in advance, so I’m not sure that’s really what you’re aiming for.

How about scooping it straight into a squeeze bottle, like an old ketchup bottle? That would be a similar consistency, so it should come out easily and be tidy. Filling the bottle would be a little messy though.

Is anybody else hungry now??

I've soaked paper towels in bacon grease and stuffed them into empty toilet paper rolls to make fire starters. Worked well for starting the fire but using them would make me hungry as the stove room would smell like 🥓 bacon 🥓