Bar attac'mt Jig-4 wood length video 20 sec

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Not as good as Quads with utube. My first,
Quads, how do you embed it into the post? Never mind, just figured it out & edited.
Saw bar - wood length jig.
Fast, easy, repeatability. easy on & off. Works on either side of the bar.
Can cut 12''+ diameter with it on or use it to mark the whole log, take it off to make the cuts.
Old fishing pole piece I cut to 17-3/4", 2" of 1/4' all thread, epoxy, washer & wing nut.

Crank up the volume: music for woodcutters.

Attachments

• bar jig4.jpg
    bar jig4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 618
  • Bar jig5.jpg
    Bar jig5.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 615
Reactions: osagebow
Edit: Aw shucks, now it's working! A minute ago it wasn't showing up.

Nice job, and short enough that even I can watch it on my slow dialup. I shoot for 16" rounds, but usually they end up 12" or 20"! Especially when the tree is partially covered with snow and I guess where the next cut should be.

Nice job on the video. I used to say that "hard work doesn't bother me, that I could watch it all day" but my back hurts just watching you work. I do most of my cutting with the nose of the bar so I don't have to bend over as much. As I'm getting older, I'm thinking of getting a longer bar so that I have to bend even less.

LLigetfa said:
Nice job on the video. I used to say that "hard work doesn't bother me, that I could watch it all day" but my back hurts just watching you work. I do most of my cutting with the nose of the bar so I don't have to bend over as much. As I'm getting older, I'm thinking of getting a longer bar so that I have to bend even less.

I now exactly what you are feeling, that lower back strain. I use the nose & tip of the bar allot. This worked on the logs I had in a good location.
I fell the tree, start on the limbs, then top it. When I can i drag the top & limbs with the 4W close to the brush burn location, cut it into usable woo & throw the brush on the pile.
Then I put on the Jig if conditions allow it to be useful leave it on, but if not, I walk the log, make marks, & cut the log.
Like any tool use it but don't exceed it's limitations.

quads said:
Nice job, and short enough that even I can watch it on my slow dialup. I shoot for 16" rounds, but usually they end up 12" or 20"! Especially when the tree is partially covered with snow and I guess where the next cut should be.

Thanks Quads
12 to 20" fit in my stove, but 18" is just right. I'm never in that much of a hurry anymore so I take a little extra time to get as close to 18" as I can.
For me it's the jig & not my eyes that I use to achieve it & seem to get more consistent results.
Having the log in a good place to buck it helps. I hope the grass likes saw dust this spring.

Here's why I started using it.
Wood in this batch I brought in ranges from 15-1/2" to 21-1/2"
18-1/2" & less fit N/S, Preferred)
Longer is burned E/W & sometimes NE/SW for the real long ones. :) but it's burned
Since I started using the bar jig, they'll all fit N/S
White one with tape on it is 18"

Attachments

• 102_4221.jpg
    102_4221.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 665
bogydave said:
Here's why I started using it.
Wood in this batch I brought in ranges from 15-1/2" to 21-1/2"
18-1/2" & less fit N/S, Preferred)
Longer is burned E/W & sometimes NE/SW for the real long ones. :) but it's burned
Since I started using the bar jig, they'll all fit N/S
White one with tape on it is 18"
Yep, that's about how my firewood measures. Some long, some short, sometimes years later when I go to put wood in the stove I can't believe how I was so far off on the length when I was cutting. Been cutting firewood for decades and I'd think I could make two rounds the same length by now, but no.

quads said:
Yep, that's about how my firewood measures. Some long, some short, sometimes years later when I go to put wood in the stove I can't believe how I was so far off on the length when I was cutting. Been cutting firewood for decades and I'd think I could make two rounds the same length by now, but no.

For some reason I don't think that's true. Your the "master" of fire wood & we've seen your pictures.

bogydave said:
quads said:

For some reason I don't think that's true. Your the "master" of fire wood & we've seen your pictures.
Ha ha! Thanks, but it's true. For awhile I even kept painting a line on my bar with a black magic marker. That still didn't help me enough to bother wasting the marker ink! Nowadays I just say to heck with it and hope they come out somewhere close to 16". None of my firewood customers has ever complained about the variable lengths, I am the only one that complains to myself.

PapaDave said:
Nice jig bogy.
Closeup pic? Or, since you're now a cinematographer, a video. :cheese:

Close up pics added. graphite one & wood one '
added just below the video on the first psot

looks like it works well if you are cutting off a pile. but i always end up cutting in a picker bush or on the side of a hill. I too have the same problem of not being able to cut anything the same size. I have recently started to use a marker stick and a can spray paint.

Archer39 said:
looks like it works well if you are cutting off a pile. but i always end up cutting in a picker bush or on the side of a hill. I too have the same problem of not being able to cut anything the same size. I have recently started to use a marker stick and a can spray paint.

Yea, know what you mean
I cut 3 trees yesterday, limbed them, marked with jig on the saw
took it off then cut rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.