Bar grease dispenser refill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My question : what should I use to refill the grease gun used on the bar tip?
upload_2017-4-18_9-16-23.jpeg

What type of grease are you using?
Grease or synthetic?

I don't grease the tip.

I don't grease. Bar lube gets there. Most modern bars don't have holes to grease. Like auto ball joints, I think they found that grease is good but the hole lets in more dirt than the greasing helps.

I have read, and it makes sense, either grease or not, but once you start greasing, have to keep doing it. The grease forms an outer dam and the bar lube can't get in there so if you stop greasing, it can damage the bearings. I'd think the grease needs to be fairly thin. #1 or #0, not the most common #2, but check your owners manual.

I have an almost unused greaser if someone wants for the price of postage. Although I think they are really cheap, maybe cheaper than postage.

Don't use any at all. Every chain change the bar groove and oiling holes are cleaned and the bar flipped.

All well and good...But I didn't ask if you greased the tip..I asked what grease goes in the dispenser as a refill ..::-)

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Sean - you may want to use a lithium grease. It doesn't harden up over time. I've seen it in 3 different colors. Dark grey, white and burgundy. I like burgundy. It looks cleaner longer. My only complaint with it is that during below freezing temperatures it gets tacky until it warms up.