Bar Nose Wheel Not Rolling Smoothly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
At least I think that's where it's sticking.
I could have pinched it a little, but that never stopped it before.
If I roll it back and forth, it gets moving again.
If it's not the wheel, is there a tool that generally gets the groove where the chain runs back in shape?
I'll take a closer look this morning.

Stihl has a bar groove cleaning tool or compressed air does the trick. What bar is this? (Oregon, Stihl, etc.) None of the newer Stihl bars have serviceable/greasable sprocket tips. Most of the Husky branded (oregon) bars are greasable.

+1 compressor blow into the sprocket. Should get a good whistle.

I think the tool name you are looking for is "flathead screwdriver"

If you pinched the wheel head or channel real good, you may not get it back to working well and may need to replace it.

I got my first saw pinched good and had to replace the bar. Good luck.

Screwdriver & grease may fix that. A C

The bar looks ok. I tried prying it apart some and digging out anything that might be in there, but the wheel is a tight fit in there.
The chainsaw guy I go to said while he could sell me a new bar, the same thing happens to his saw and he gets it moving again by jamming it onto a log.
I've found that doesn't work well for me, so I stand the saw vertically and use my gloves to move the chain back and forth and get it freed up again.
I cleaned the oil passages up, but it always used the bar oil.

Maybe it's on it's way out. The chainsaw guy said I'll know it when I need a new bar.

Maybe I'll try the compressed air too, thanks for the tip.

The saw is OFF when you do that --- right?

You'll know when it's time. My nose sprocket disenigrated. Time for a new one.

I think I blew my nose sprocket because I had the chain tension too tight. It was a rookie move and I've since learned how to properly adjust it.

basswidow said:
I think I blew my nose sprocket because I had the chain tension too tight. It was a rookie move and I've since learned how to properly adjust it.
I didn't know that could happen. The chain should be riding the rails, but does the sprocket hold the chain out a little from the bar nose? I guess my memory is fuzzy, i suppose it does, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.