Bar oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No there's a few around, but when half the area is out of power after the huge storm we had I really could care less that I spent nearly $20 - I just needed it and wasted enough time trying to find it at closer stores.
I hear you...its a 50 mile round trip for me to get anything so I buy by the case.For what its worth called my dealer today and the Orange jug Woodcutter bar oil went from $9 something to $10.49 a jug and the premium stuff was $14

Reactions: Woody5506
Think I will run down there this week and pick up a couple cases. We can go through a gallon a week pretty easy when we are cutting steady. Just got access to 80 acres that was logged...going to be busy there all summer..lol

I use Menards when it is on sale for about $5 a gallon. I have not seen a hot bar as a result so I am happy.

Used motor oil.

I've done it for years in a variety of saws with no problems.

As a side note, I don't let my oil changes go overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys use for bar oil? Last year I used the Tractor Supply Company brand which is CountyLine. This year I went to buy more and realized it is only $8/gallon, and happened to be on sale for $6. Well, they were out of stock, so I picked up some Husqvarna bar oil at my local Lowe's, which is nearly $12/gallon. So it got me thinking; sometimes you get what you pay for. I'm curious what everybody's thoughts on bar oil are. Are they all pretty much the same or can they vary significantly from brand to brand? Thanks in advance for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New bar oil. Not used oil for cars.

Reactions: Alpine1
New bar oil and biodegradable, all my saws never had a problem. 7$ per gallon here.

I use Stihl oil. I don't use enough that paying more for it is a issue. I think Stihl and Husky are going to be the highest price, just because they have a high end reputation, and can.

I use the cheapest bar oil I can get. NO waste motor oil, it contains carcinogens and heavy metals, not to mention making a mess. I was using Poulan until Wal-Mart quit carrying it. It was pretty thick and sticky compared to the SuperTech they are now selling. The Poulan was amber colored, like you would expect oil to be. The SuperTech is gray and thin (viscosity), even though it says it's 30 wt. I think it may be reclaimed oil.

Reactions: Jeffm1