Barometric Damper Removal from Grandma Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Saddleman

Aug 6, 2019
Colorado
Welcome to the Forum;

That Baby is from the first year (1979) they were available with the flat top door, or new arched top style, "Cathedral" door. The flat top door was soon dropped and all models then had the arched top available only.

A barometric damper is installed in the horizontal opening and when cold, the flap will be closed, allowing the chimney to heat. When the chimney is heated and there is too much draft, the flap opens allowing indoor air to be pulled into the chimney and cools the rising exhaust, slowing the draft. So unlike a manual damper that is "closed" when the plate is across the pipe, a barometric damper is "closed" to slow the draft when the flapper is open. There is an adjustment on the damper for how strong you want the draft, and they are automatic for wind, atmospheric conditions as well as when the fire burns down. They keep the draft through the fire more constant and are required on coal stoves.

Below is the barometric accessory box installed on a Papa Bear;

View attachment 70488
I recently bought a Grandma that has the barometric damper built into it, apparently. Is there a way to take the damper piece off and put a cap over the opening or, was there ever a cap made specifically for that? I plan on putting an 8" - 6" reducer on the stove and don't want that feature on it. Thanks.

I recently bought a Grandma that has the barometric damper built into it, apparently. Is there a way to take the damper piece off and put a cap over the opening or, was there ever a cap made specifically for that? I plan on putting an 8" - 6" reducer on the stove and don't want that feature on it. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Someone with more knowledge on dampers should be along soon to help you out. Pictures are a big help, and they are easy to attach without using photo apps.

Simply remove the damper and cap with connector pipe cap.

Simply remove the damper and cap with connector pipe cap.
Thanks, Coaly. It wouldn't bother me so much but where I live at almost 9000', we get some really high sustained winds over 50 mph (with gusts over 90+) quite often in the winter, and the unwanted draft coming through the house or shop, even closed up, can be pretty high. I've always wanted a Mama Bear or Baby bear for my shop but this will do for now. Love this site and forum!! Thanks all.