basement wood drying test ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been two weeks of drying the "green" red oak, so here's what I found. Six 4" splits brought the stove to 500* in about 35 minutes(from coals at 300*). The wood was not hissing or spitting. The heat was moderate and the secondaries were strong until I tried to choke down about 75%. I returned to 50% air and let the fire cruise. I took one of the splits and took a moisture reading...15% on the outside. After splitting, 25% was measured inside. Overall, not too bad for only two weeks and it does correlate to the stoves mediocre performance. Another two weeks could get the wood down to 20% moisture; however, it is extremely unpracticle. I am somewhat impressed that the moisture content would drop that quickly in just two weeks time.

fullbore said:
It's been two weeks of drying the "green" red oak, so here's what I found. Six 4" splits brought the stove to 500* in about 35 minutes(from coals at 300*). The wood was not hissing or spitting. The heat was moderate and the secondaries were strong until I tried to choke down about 75%. I returned to 50% air and let the fire cruise. I took one of the splits and took a moisture reading...15% on the outside. After splitting, 25% was measured inside. Overall, not too bad for only two weeks and it does correlate to the stoves mediocre performance. Another two weeks could get the wood down to 20% moisture; however, it is extremely unpracticle. I am somewhat impressed that the moisture content would drop that quickly in just two weeks time.

I don't suppose you happen to have the moisture content at the start of the 2 weeks? I'd be interested in knowing how much was actually lost during that two week period.

Slow1 said:
I don't suppose you happen to have the moisture content at the start of the 2 weeks?
I've got a pile of olive that is not ready yet. When the thread started in November I re-split a few pieces and it read 32% at the core. I bought a few full sized splits inside and left them about 2' from the stove. I just split a couple open and they have dropped to 29% at the core. But, guess what, I just took a couple of pieces out of the source woodpile and they too are down to 29% now.

fullbore said:
It's been two weeks of drying the "green" red oak, so here's what I found. Six 4" splits brought the stove to 500* in about 35 minutes(from coals at 300*). The wood was not hissing or spitting..

any chance you tired this on a practical piece of wood as 4" splits is kindling in my stove and shouldnt take very long to dry considering how small and open it must be

The original moisture content was above 30% b/c it maxed out on my meter. I also have some larger splits 6" to 8" and 24" to 26" in length. That's probably larger than typical but the 5700 can handle large wood. Regardless, a drop of at least 5% moisture content in any size split of red oak in two weeks seems impressive. I originally suspected there would be a negligible change over the two week period. I also suspected that the oak would continue to burn poorly with temps around 300*. Conversely, the oak's burn quality was greatly improved. I have more of the same red oak outside and I'm sure that the meter will read at least 30%.

Last night I burned the remaining red oak that I've been storing for the basement "test". After six weeks of drying, the largest 6-7" splits measured 22% (in the middle after splitting) on the moisture meter. The stove came up to 600* in about 25 minutes with a full load. No hissing or indication of low wood quality whatsoever. Ultimately wood will season much quicker in a warm, dry basement; however, it would be extremely unpractical. Storing a large quantity of wood in the basement may also change the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.