Bashing this idea is encouraged.. Let me have it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redmanlcs

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2017
West Virginia
Feel like letting off some steam? Want to tell someone they are crazy or that they are going to burn down there house or endanger their family?

LET IT ALL OUT, ITS ENCOURAGED!

Here is the setup, description first, pics to come.

Vogelzang boxwood stove. Looks like the one in this pic but its the older one that has more air control and no holes in the doors. Its the one with the removable top.

Installed in mobile home--- Store told them its for a shop or garage, not a house or trailer, they said "hold my beer and watch me put this thing in"...

Stove pipe is run vertical from stove, up 2 feet-- elbow then 4 feet thru the wall, out an old window opening, with no doublewall or thimble. Outside is another elbow and from that, 4 feet vertical with a small (too small) chimney cap. Pipe is supported with metal coat hangers outside.

At least it has a floor protector! The stove is 18 inches from the "very combustible paneling" which is subject to say the least.

Want to see the actual "install"? Reply with "yes id like to see this mess...

2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, that scenario is not uncommon enough.

redneck-chimney.jpg

Reactions: Riddlefiddle
Sounds great! Hell yeah I wanna see. I saw on Craigslist a guy selling a small stove, it was on a hearth with 3’ single wall coming straight into regular masonry fireplace. That’s it! Fireplace had bifold glass doors closed onto pipe. I wish I had picture.

Can we have a thread of incredible installs. Here I am giving myself an ulcer bc I can’t get my continuous smooth wall stainless liner insulated!

Can we have a thread of incredible installs. Here I am giving myself an ulcer bc I can’t get my continuous smooth wall stainless liner insulated!

On some of my work related forums they have a “wall of shame” and a “wall of pride” sub forum. Do the moderators think there would be enough interest in a category like that just for these things? Seriously, the install I am replacing in my current house would qualify for a wall of shame post.

Here is another one for you guys for sale on Facebook
stove1.jpg stove2.jpg stove3.jpg

Reactions: blacktail
Definitely not to code, but agreed that although it's a temporary setup, it's done with some safety in mind and with a better stove than VG box stove. The RTV on the stovepipe joints is bogus though they probably discovered that with the first fire or two.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I would think the interior double wall pipe on the exterior would cause some creosote issues possibly lead to a chimney fire.

Definitely not to code, but agreed that although it's a temporary setup, it's done with some safety in mind and with a better stove than VG box stove. The RTV on the stovepipe joints is bogus though they probably discovered that with the first fire or two.

I bet 600° RTV silicone has an interesting smell after an hour at 1000°.

It looks remarkably intact in the photos, though, even where they globbed it between the stovetop and the flue collar. Makes me wonder if they have burned it at all yet.

Possibly they posted some "all done" photos of the install and got a hundred "OMG do not light a fire in that thing" responses.... :)

I gotta be honest. While this looks janky and is almost definitely not to code, I'm having trouble seeing it as a death trap.

That off gassing though, they must've bought a case of RTV!

But I find if they simply ignored the manual and those common sense details when they installed it, how attentive of a user do you think they'd be?

They made a heat shield, considered combustion air. Probably super insulated/tightly constructed home.

Now the van and out the backdoor pics that’s good stuff!

another Quality install
fp.jpg fp1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this beauty in a house I was in 2 weeks ago.

_DSC0763.JPG

I actually ordered one of these from Harbor Freight many years ago before i knew what a real wood stove was. When i unpacked it I could see it was poorly constructed with many loose fitting pieces and looked like an overfire accident waiting to happen so i immediately began checking on how to return it . Then i found the disclaimer in the packaging warning NOT to use this stove in a HOUSE or other INHABITED structure. That was the clincher,i packed it up and returned it.

Last edited:
First setup cooks very well, what does every one think? Someone told me to post on this page.

Attachments

• 0231F123-80B6-445A-9CA7-A6808F6A2D90.jpeg
    0231F123-80B6-445A-9CA7-A6808F6A2D90.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 371
  • 343CB028-F65C-4B15-868D-D3A517C45C4E.jpeg
    343CB028-F65C-4B15-868D-D3A517C45C4E.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 347
  • A2448C59-4FB7-4918-86F2-0318A51F539B.jpeg
    A2448C59-4FB7-4918-86F2-0318A51F539B.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 333