Bathroom remodel - Shower Pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm replacing an old tub with a shower stall. I want to use a pre-made shower pan, instead of trying to build one up out of mortar, from scratch. The ones I've found are:

Tileredi (www.tileredi.com)
KBRS (www.showerbase.com)
Durock (www.homedepot.com - not an easy link)

The Tileredi and KBRS both seem simpler to install. They both use a liquid waterproofing membrane. The Durock one seems more complex, with lots of thinset used to hold the various components together. It has a membrane liner to insure waterproofing. The KBRS system can be trimmed to fit an out-of-square space (I haven't checked mine, yet). The Tileredi seems pretty straightforward, but can't be trimmed to fit. In any case, I would like to make my own curb so that I can go with something smaller than the 5-6" that come with the KBRS and Durock systems.

Has anyone replaced a tub with a shower? Did you use a pre-made shower pan? Any thoughts or ideas?

-Tres

Also... I'm thinking about a curbless shower, if anyone has experience with those.

Thanks!

I saw this in Fine Homebuilding http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2015/10/14/curbless-shower-build-up-not-down (note this may be content only available to online subscribers).
Also, look at Schultter Kerdi products.
The last shower pan that I installed was one from Lowes, a Sterling unit. It was built well but not curbless.
Thanks. I can't access the entire article without subscribing, but I'd rather buy a tilable shower pan than build one up from scratch, which I think is what the article talks about.