Battery Backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at these. But how do you figure out how long a stove would run if it drew 3 amps??

Indy3 said:
Just saw this in Best Buy for those who don't have a battery back-up for their pellet stove. I'm ordering one now. If you add something for a penny to bring the total to $100, you get a $10 gift card also.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC+-+J...stem/2984066.p?id=1218369111466&skuId=2984066

FYI I originally bought an APC (not the same as what you show) that put out a "step" wave and my motors did not run right. I returned it and got the one in my sig for the same price. Stove runs normally and can go 30-50 minutes depending on convection fan speed.

Looking to add a battery backup for my Harman P68. I only need it to run long enough for me to pull the generator out of garage and fire it up. My question is I have my Harman unit on a 45 in the corner of the room. My outlet and surge protector are both behind the stove, can I put the battery backup there too or is that too close?

Thanks & Happy New Year to all

If you want to extend the run time of your battery backup system you can easily wire a deep cycle battery to the UPS. Every UPS I've seen runs on 12volt sealed lead acid batteries. As long as the UPS output can support the pellet stove then its a simple thing to add a much larger battery to the UPS. I've gotten cheap UPS's at garage sales, etc. as some folks don't seem to know that the batteries in them can be changed! A better long term solution to a power outage is a small inverter generator. I have a Honda EU2000i that ran for 5 days continuous after hurricane Irene. It ran two fridges, the plasma TV and the computers. Next time it will also run the pellet stove if needed. RT

wifes a watchin said:
Looking to add a battery backup for my Harman P68. I only need it to run long enough for me to pull the generator out of garage and fire it up. My question is I have my Harman unit on a 45 in the corner of the room. My outlet and surge protector are both behind the stove, can I put the battery backup there too or is that too close?

Thanks & Happy New Year to all

I have an APC (American Power Conversion) model #BE750G which Harman recommends in their owners manual for the XXV. I have not had any trouble with this UPS. It was cheaper than the CyberPower.

Alot of those apc backups use 26 or 28v batteries.

I just had to have them replace a br1000 that went bad.

I don't know if this will help but i have timberridge 55-trpah (englander 25-pah) using a kill a watt meter on start up it draws 380 watts and then after it gets running stays around 155 watts.
i plan on making my own battery back up for my 2 stoves.
so as i figure out what i need and how to make it cheap ill share my info

Status
Not open for further replies.