BBK Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of media types that are not silica sand. Sand blasting is old school, now it's "medai blasting". Everything from nut shells to plastic beads. Still, it will make a mess nomatter where you do it.

Ya, being realistic I am just going to eat the losses and live with a defective stove. Very disappointed it has to come to this, but it does show you how poor Blaze King and the Fairbanks local dealer treat their customers. I have giving the dealer and Blaze King every opportunity to make this right, but they just kept playing these games.

It is in the basement; if it were in my living room like another person I know here in Fairbanks, I would be taking Blaze King to court.

Did I tell you the dealer did almost $300 of damage to my handrail and door when the delivered the Blaze King.. And get this, they charged me a $200 delivery charge on top of that.

At least I will be able look myself in the mirror in the morning.

rdust said:
john_alaska said:
I got a few estimates between $1500-$2000.

They do realize you're painting a wood stove and not a car right? It's not like they have body work to do, you can probably strip it with a chemical stripper if you don't have a way to sand or media blast it. I'd try to get BK to toss me a few bucks to cover the supply's and some for my time and call it a day.

Is the stove located in a family/living room or a basement? If it's an unfinished basement you may not even have to move the stove out depending on where the issues are.

Got pictures of the issues?

john_alaska said:
Did I tell you the dealer did almost $300 of damage to my handrail and door when the delivered the Blaze King.. And get this, they charged me a $200 delivery charge on top of that.

The dealer should have insurance for stuff like that. I wouldn't let them get away with it. As far as eating the costs and living with a defective stove. Fix it. Then its not defective. Give BK another offer they can't refuse. Something like $250 for time and materials for you to fix it (you make up the appropriate number).

BeGreen said:
Got pictures of the issues?

Yeah, I'd like to see photos of the paint. I think I've only ever seen one thread on a steel stove with paint issues. I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

john_alaska said:
Ya, being realistic I am just going to eat the losses and live with a defective stove. Very disappointed it has to come to this, but it does show you how poor Blaze King and the Fairbanks local dealer treat their customers. I have giving the dealer and Blaze King every opportunity to make this right, but they just kept playing these games.

I feel the dealer should have made it right and the issue should have never had to elevate to the corporate level. They should have came and picked up the stove, repaired it and re-installed it. I wouldn't expect a new stove but I would expect it to have a like new finish when I got it back.

Buying from a dealer should mean you never have to deal with the corporate BS. The dealer needs to make it right with you and then they should deal with BK to make it right for themselves.

I have a good relationship with the local BK dealer here, just N of Wasilla.
I've heard of some complaints in the Fairbanks area about one of the local wood stove stores, from friends there. They plan to upgrade their stove, I praised BK stoves &
suggested they consider it if they upgrade. Hope they don't get your dealer if they do.
Sounds to be a local dealer issue. Hope BK steps up & helps resolve the issues.
Sandblast & repaint should be covered in the warranty & not be that big of a job in Fairbanks.

Sure hope you get an equatable solution. Having a dealer issue is one thing, but it would be interesting to hear BK's side of the story.

I'm with "rdust": If I felt it needed repainted, I'd DIY & then continue to work with BK to recover some of the costs you put out to do it.
If it's not a "defective stove", just a "defective" paint job.
It sure puts out heat & your gonna need the heat soon.

Good luck.

john_alaska said:
Well in Fairbanks stuff is expensive.. Shipping a 500 pound stove here is spendy..But ya you should get a quality product for what you pay for. It is not uncommon that distributors send their junk up here. But I am not going to let Blaze King get away with this especially after they admitted their flaw in panting and I know several others that have the same problem here..

Let me guess Woodway is jacking you around? They are the reason I am just now getting to my install instead of the summer and why I didnt end up with the princess their customer service was enough to turn me away I spent my money elsewhere. Check out Wholesale distrubutors on 30th that is where I got mine they have some nice quadrafires in there with cats and 8'' flues dont think they are controlled by temp tho.

Highbeam said:
There is no equal to that BK King. There is a reason they dominate in AK. I suspect that there are two sides to this story but a bad dealer can really cause trouble.

Why not buy another BK from a better dealer? Fairbanks isn't a small town and there are surely more dealers. Unless, that is, you have sworn off BKs forever. Is that the case?

No other stove makers use thermostats. It is a peave of mine. Very few use cat converters and almost none of them make large stoves with cat converters. You can have a small cat stove without a stat or you can get a larger non-cat.

Have you considered the wood furnace route? Without details about your home we don't know what size of stove you need. The BK King with its low output can be put in a mobile home and do fine. Before anybody suggests alternative stoves we need to know what you're heating.

You obviously never been to Fairbanks while it is the "second biggest city in AK" it is small. And we only have 3 woodstove dealers only 1 of which sells BK next closest dealer is in the next town over.... 357 miles away and 7 hour drive.

Dave, what is the store name in Wasilla?? If I drag the stove back to the Fairbanks store, I will come down to Wasilla and pick up a new one. Tell your friends to do the same, because there is only one store that carries Blaze King in Fairbanks, and they offer no support for their products.. Mostly hire cheap labor to do service work at night... My business with the Fairbanks store is over with... thanks

bogydave said:
I've heard of some complaints in the Fairbanks area about one of the local wood stove stores, from friends there. They plan to upgrade their stove, I praised BK stoves &
suggested they consider it if they upgrade. Hope they don't get your dealer if they do.
Sandblast & repaint should be covered in the warranty & not be that big of a job in Fairbanks.

Sure hope you get an equatable solution. Having a dealer issue is one thing, but it would be interesting to hear BK's side of the story.

I'm with "rdust": If I felt it needed repainted, I'd DIY & then continue to work with BK to recover some of the costs you put out to do it.

Good luck.

john_alaska said:
Dave, what is the store name in Wasilla?? If I drag the stove back to the Fairbanks store, I will come down to Wasilla and pick up a new one. Tell your friends to do the same, because there is only one store that carries Blaze King in Fairbanks, and they offer no support for their products.. Mostly hire cheap labor to do service work at night... My business with the Fairbanks store is over with... thanks

bogydave said:

Good luck.

http://www.alaskafireplace.com/
Wasilla store,
Your are PO'd if your gonna drive 350 miles. It is a beautiful drive though.
Watch out for Caribou this time of the year around Healy & Cantwell
1 other thought, have you thought about the pellet stoves? I heard there is a new pellet plant in Fairbanks.

Political solution, write your state reps, lets get a gas line!!!
http://www.elections.alaska.gov/vi_eo_state_dist.php
Don't use my name, you may get black-balled" but at least mine "usually" answer my emails.
Maybe one of these days, our state politicians will get with the program & get an "in-state gas line" :)
That would solve Fairbanks winter air quality issues !! & many other areas energy needs also.

Again
Good luck

Please don't get me started on the gas line, smoke starts coming out my ears.... dam near have to take out a bank loan to fill the oild tanks.... I think I found your local store and just talked to them, nice folks...

bogydave said:
john_alaska said:

bogydave said:

Good luck.

http://www.alaskafireplace.com/
Wasilla store,
Your are PO'd if your gonna drive 350 miles. It is a beautiful drive though.
Watch out for Caribou this time of the year around Healy & Cantwell
1 other thought, have you thought about the pellet stoves? I heard there is a new pellet plant in Fairbanks.

Political solution, write your state reps, lets get a gas line!!!
http://www.elections.alaska.gov/vi_eo_state_dist.php
Don't use my name, you may get black-balled" but at least mine "usually" answer my emails.
Maybe one of these days, our state politicians will get with the program & get an "in-state gas line" :)
That would solve Fairbanks winter air quality issues !! & many other areas energy needs also.

Again
Good luck

Yep there is a new pellet plant right up the road you can get a ton for around 300 bucks. We use to have a pellet stove but after last year when the power was out for almost 2 days at -30 that was when I had enough of that and decided to switch to wood. Damn GVEA!

good guess, you win, no customer support, I'll never do business there again. I did talk to Wholsale Distributors, they have given up on Cat stoves and are not going to keep the BK line.... I'll just do business out of Wasilla or Anchorage..

bsj425 said:
john_alaska said:
Well in Fairbanks stuff is expensive.. Shipping a 500 pound stove here is spendy..But ya you should get a quality product for what you pay for. It is not uncommon that distributors send their junk up here. But I am not going to let Blaze King get away with this especially after they admitted their flaw in panting and I know several others that have the same problem here..

Let me guess Woodway is jacking you around? They are the reason I am just now getting to my install instead of the summer and why I didnt end up with the princess their customer service was enough to turn me away I spent my money elsewhere. Check out Wholesale distrubutors on 30th that is where I got mine they have some nice quadrafires in there with cats and 8'' flues dont think they are controlled by temp tho.

bsj425 said:
Highbeam said:
There is no equal to that BK King. There is a reason they dominate in AK. I suspect that there are two sides to this story but a bad dealer can really cause trouble.

Why not buy another BK from a better dealer? Fairbanks isn't a small town and there are surely more dealers. Unless, that is, you have sworn off BKs forever. Is that the case?

No other stove makers use thermostats. It is a peave of mine. Very few use cat converters and almost none of them make large stoves with cat converters. You can have a small cat stove without a stat or you can get a larger non-cat.

Have you considered the wood furnace route? Without details about your home we don't know what size of stove you need. The BK King with its low output can be put in a mobile home and do fine. Before anybody suggests alternative stoves we need to know what you're heating.

You obviously never been to Fairbanks while it is the "second biggest city in AK" it is small. And we only have 3 woodstove dealers only 1 of which sells BK next closest dealer is in the next town over.... 357 miles away and 7 hour drive.

You have obviously never been to a small town then, where only a stoplight exists. I work in a city of 10,000 and there are NO woodstove dealers. Having three would be like a super city.

john_alaska said:
I have been running a BKK Parlor with good results since last year. Manufacture flaw on 40 of the stoves resulted in paint peeling which the manufacture admitted was due to their error. I ended up hiring my attorney to start legal action.

After a year of BS with the seller they have agreed to a full refund and will take my stove away, but will not replace.. Problem is my old stove is gone and it is winter here in Fairbanks and the stove is running.

I cannot just have it removed with 6 cords of seasoned wood in the yard, and oil running at $3.95/gal.

Any recommendations on another similar size stove, EPA rated, 8†flue and thermostatically controlled.

I don't see such a big problem here, John, other than you are pi$$ed off.

Just get your money back from the dealer there, have them take the stove. Hop in your truck and drive to Anc or Wasilla and pick one up, bring it home. You admit good results burning the BK...I don't think you can beat it for what you need.

Don't even start griping about paying 3.95 for fuel....I pay $6. There is NO stove dealer here; I had to fly mine in ($490 freight from Anc).

Before you get too carried away, you ain't in near as big a quandry as you're making it sound.

I'm sorry, this is far too timely to not share my story of said dealer. 1year old Echo CS450 saw started running like crap and then wouldn't start. So then I take it in considering there is 4 years left on warranty. Two weeks later they call me asking me if I lent my saw out..."No..." Grabbed the wrong gas can (IDIOT) - I didn't have any of my cans marked but not sure that would've helped because I simply wasn't paying attention. Ok my fault totally, I'm an idiot, yes. However, they say then can most likely do it under warranty since he had never had to send an engine back to Echo. Ok - sweet. They said they'd let me know. Two more weeks, still no word so I go in. Original guy wasn't there but different guy says, "its not done, but the shortblock showed up." Ok, then another two weeks later (they didn't call - I went in) they say the saw is done and hand me a bill for $318. I told them I was rather upset that it was never communicated that the warranty didn't go through and they went ahead with the work anyways. So after trying to get in touch with the original employee that called me the first time numerous times over ANOTHER TWO WEEKS, I tell them, "Look, if you had called and told me that it would have to billable, I would've told you to give me my broken saw and I will go get a shortblock for $200 shipped to my door and fix it myself." Obviously there was back and forth and after stating, "You don't take your car to an auto shop to find out what is wrong, then go back with a replaced engine and a bill for $3000" he finally says he'll eat the labor if I pay for the shortblock.

Like what has been stated above, the lack of communication and customer service is a deal breaker for me and that place. You just don't do work that was never authorized. Period.

Sorry about the rant but I got fired up reading the other posts. I am buying a Blaze King Classic within the next couple weeks and I think I'll be making a trip down to Wasilla to do so.

I just flat didnt like the sales people I delt with I delt with 2 of them on 2 seperate occasions. The first time I got frustrated and left and decided to come back another day and hopefully have someone else help me. Since It was my first stove purchase I of course had a few questions that I thought were relavent such as the burn times difference between single wall double wall etc. And they talked to me like I was an idiot the first lady literally asked me "did you not do any research before coming to look for a stove do you even know what you want" that is when I turned around and walked out. Of course I did research just not on the brand of pipe that they sell. The second time back the guy that helped me was too busy texting on his phone instead of helping me. I will never go back there.

bsj425 said:
I just flat didnt like the sales people I delt with I delt with 2 of them on 2 seperate occasions. The first time I got frustrated and left and decided to come back another day and hopefully have someone else help me. Since It was my first stove purchase I of course had a few questions that I thought were relavent such as the burn times difference between single wall double wall etc. And they talked to me like I was an idiot the first lady literally asked me "did you not do any research before coming to look for a stove do you even know what you want" that is when I turned around and walked out. Of course I did research just not on the brand of pipe that they sell. The second time back the guy that helped me was too busy texting on his phone instead of helping me. I will never go back there.

How do you like your Heatilator? I've never seen those before but checked out their website. I've talked to the Wholesale Distributor people about Harmons before and they were very helpful and friendly.

AKSHADOW said:
bsj425 said:

How do you like your Heatilator? I've never seen those before but checked out their website. I've talked to the Wholesale Distributor people about Harmons before and they were very helpful and friendly.

If you want to start a new thread about the heatilator and need help, let me know.

pen

FYI for you guys planning on buying in Wasilla, give a call, he has sold out in the past, this time of the year & it was a few weeks + to get a new shipment in.

Maybe someone can buy a "used, scratch & dent stove in Fairbanks", at a good price, a little paint, almost new. It'd cost to much to send that heavy sucker, back to the factory for re-hab.
You'd know where to contact the former owner.

Yea, yea, I know. Pretty poor. But i couldn't resist.

I've had my "life experiences" that didn't work out the way I thought they should. (the right/wrong/fair thing)
I try to find the something good in everything. Some of mine worked out that "All I got was an expensive education" but one I won't forget" :)
Then moved on, a smarter person & smile about the valuable experience (the good thing).
BE careful though:
Those experiences cause 1 gray hair for each one. But if you do the same mistake again, that gray hair falls out;; LOL" :lol:
So far, I just have lots of gray hairs with only a few missing. :zip:
Just looked in the mirror, WOW more life experiences than I remember. :bug:

Trying to make some humor over a stressed situation.

So no problems with dealers selling out of "their territory"?

Hey, what happened to that new Blaze King VP guy? I thought he'd be all over this.

If there are about 40 owners with this problem I am surprised this is the first we have heard of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.