Been felling trees today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey21

Minister of Fire
Oct 28, 2010
Soutwest VA
Cut down 5 trees on my land today and got them ready to be split got 3 popplers 1 hickory 1 red oak down all were big except for 2.

Edit. They were a hazard to property.

That sounds like a good days work for 5 trees, bucked and hauled too

Cut down 5 trees on my land today and got them ready to be split got 3 popplers 1 hickory 1 red oak down all were big except for 2.

Edit. They were a hazard to property.
Good mixture of wood, might be a chit load of hazardous trees this weekend.

zap

Nice work corey21. That sounds like a full days work. Got any pics?

Thanks guys no pics yet.

Yeah if this storm brings wet snow and gusty winds may be problems.

That's allot of work.
Good work out for the shoulders & back ;)
poplar is good shoulder season wood & dries fast
Oak & hickory are 2 year or more to season well.
Since someone already ask for pics , I won't.

Pics if it all split & stacked will be nice to see when that happens :) LOL

Reactions: ScotO
Yeah it was a workout going to wait till this nasty weather blows by before i process all of it.

Indeed that had to be a big workout! Now hopefully you can rest a few days.

Indeed that had to be a big workout! Now hopefully you can rest a few days.

I would have done it today but had to be away from the house and then now they calling for snow.

Corey, maybe they will do out there what they've done here. They cancelled the snow due to lack of interest.

Corey, maybe they will do out there what they've done here. They cancelled the snow due to lack of interest.

We are getting mixed precip right now with a temp of 39 and getting windy.

A bit breezy here but not bad. Rain not too far away from us but coming in from the east. A few areas still forecast to get a mix of snow/rain but for us they've taken the snow right out.

Good luck.

A bit breezy here but not bad. Rain not too far away from us but coming in from the east. A few areas still forecast to get a mix of snow/rain but for us they've taken the snow right out.

Good luck.

OMG i am under a blizzard warning never seen that before.

Sounds like this could get interesting!

Over the years they have changed the description of a blizzard. I remember the temperature used to have to be well below freezing, I think 20 or lower and visibility really short and of course, snow falling at a certain rate. They have lightened up on what they call a blizzard over the years and I suspect it is for the typical tv or news effect. Blow it out of proportion. Nontheless, a big snow is nothing to shake a stick at.

Reactions: Thistle
Sounds like this could get interesting!

Over the years they have changed the description of a blizzard. I remember the temperature used to have to be well below freezing, I think 20 or lower and visibility really short and of course, snow falling at a certain rate. They have lightened up on what they call a blizzard over the years and I suspect it is for the typical tv or news effect. Blow it out of proportion. Nontheless, a big snow is nothing to shake a stick at.

In warning they are calling for 50 mph winds.

How do i burn wood in a blizzard never burned wood in a storm like this?

In warning they are calling for 50 mph winds.

How do i burn wood in a blizzard never burned wood in a storm like this?
My plans are to heat the house up before the high winds move in, once the winds start picking up I'll stop, then start again when I think it's safe to burn.

zap

Reactions: Thistle
My plans are to heat the house up before the high winds move in, once the winds start picking up I'll stop, then start again when I think it's safe to burn.

zap

That may become my plan if things get to bad but my family don't like the house below 68.

I have a really bad feeling about this storm.

That may become my plan if things get to bad but my family don't like the house below 68.

I have a really bad feeling about this storm.
Extra clothing for a little bit won't hurt, I would hate to have the stack (chimney) above the roof blow off in high winds when burning.
zap

Extra clothing for a little bit won't hurt, I would hate to have the stack (chimney) above the roof blow off in high winds when burning.
zap

Never thought of the chimney getting blown away i am nervous.

Never thought of the chimney getting blown away i am nervous.

Hang in corey21. Things will work out okay. Keep your eyes and ears open. If you lose power you will be able to keep everyone warm. The wind will only last for so long. Then will come the calm and the wait for power to come back if you are unfortunate enough to lose it.

Reactions: Thistle and corey21
I plan to keep burning right through the storm. Only the top three feet of my chimney could potentially blow off (the rest is in a brick chase and has seen plenty of high wind). The stove works fine without the top three feet, so no worries here about the chimney. Some people have draft problems in high wind, and I am sure the problems vary according to wind direction and strength, so maybe some will have problems burning during the storm because of draft.

It just makes me very nervous never run a stove in high wind.

Edit. Then there is the pine trees above my house that i am nervous about also. The cooking on the stove is not a problem i do that a lot.

So how are things going Corey?

So how are things going Corey?

Getting heavy snow and strong winds right now.

I lit the stove a bit ago had a time getting it going then now it is gotten real strong draft having trouble with the strong draft.

Trees are swaying and snow is laying heavy.

Just don't fill the stove then and you should be okay. Good luck. How much snow has fallen now and what is predicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.