Before I install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegdot

Nov 16, 2007
Upstate, SC
I'm hoping to get that old Breckwell insert installed this weekend but after reading on here I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on things I should do to the stove before it goes in the house. I've cleaned every nook and cranny I can find and painted the outside of the stove but I'm wondering if painting the inside and polishing the burn pot would perhaps make it a little easier to clean? The inner walls are fairly rough.

Also, are there any gaskets I might want to replace or maintanence steps I could do now to avoid having to pull it out down the road? Right now it's up on sawhorses and easy to get to so......just looking to save myself some hassles later!
Thanks,
Peg

Just make sure you clean the blower motor and the blower wheel on the convection blower.
Make sure your door is sealing.
Check the limit switches if they are the old Plastic switches looks and feel if they are brittle or loose.
Make sure the Koawool insulation on the back of the firebox (below the hopper) is not blocking the hole in the ignitor tube. (If you have one)

If you have the time it is a good idea to make sure your firebox of your fireplace is clean
Sometimes it is good to paint it.
Any smell or soot will be pulled from your fireplace into your house from the convection blower into your house.

Thanks for the tips, Rod.

Uhh...dumby here....what/where is a limiter switch?

Also, I want to take the convection blower off to really clean it out, as you suggested in another post, but it looks as though there is some sort of gasket between it and the back wall of the unit. Since there is no local supply for parts like that I'm hesitant to take it off and risk tearing up the gasket. It appears to be white. Any idea what it is or if it's likely to come apart?

Thanks,
Peggy

The limit switches are the small round discs that sense temperature.
The gasket is made of lytherm, it will likely come apart when you disassemble the fan. It will need replaced. Nice thing about this is that many manufacturers use similar combustion blowers that are often close enough in size and bolt pattern that you should be able to pick one up somewhere. Whitfield ADVII-T blower gaskets should fit that stove as well as Envior EFII and Travis small pellet stoves.

Opps! Looks like someone used the wrong gasket! lol The one on the convection blower is definetly white. Can't see any of the gasket on the exhaust blower. Makes me wonder if there is one. I'm getting a fairly annoying vibration noise out of something around the exhaust side of the stove. Hmmmm.....

Like I said, absolutely no local source for any pellet stove parts so is there any chance that a wood stove place might have something that would work instead or would standard auto gasket material work?

Dang! I really don't want something that simple to delay the install. Our oil furnace died this past weekend so I really need to get this thing in quick! Brrr!

Peggy

It uses a sqaure rubber gasket
I have a few extra I can sell you
Email for details
[email protected]

or if you get a new blower it comes with it.

Got my order in for both gaskets. Thank you, Rod! :kiss:

Peggy

Status
Not open for further replies.