Best 8" Flue woodstove under $1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper44

Oct 26, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Hoping there is something out there that will work. My dad went ahead and bought a stove after I had told him let me know before you go and do something. Well I show up to his new hunting camp looking at a stove that is about the same age as me (30). A Blaze King KTJ302, had all the pipe and everything so I went ahead and installed it for him. This is in a cabin with 16' walls 30'x40' foot print and a loft. Cannot believe how much wood this thing went through this past weekend!! I have never ran a "smoke dragon" before, it definitely makes me appreciate my PE much more. So that being said since the pipe is already in place I am guessing he should stay with an 8" stove, unless there is a 6" stove that could work with an adapter? The total height of the chimney is around 21 feet. Is there anything out there that he can get for under a $1000 that would work?

My other issue is that with being a hunting camp, lots of people will be up there at various times, individuals that do not understand that a stove isn't as easy as just tossing a log on when you get up in the middle of the night. Since I was there this weekend with 6 others I thought it would be a perfect time to get everyone up to speed on how to operate. Unfortunately it did not go as well as I had hoped, thinking I may make up a poster to hang on the wall with the correct steps.

Frist thing should be the Fire dept phone Number!

Reactions: Copper44
A 6" stove should work. The PE TrueNorth TN20 is right around $1000 as would be a Drolet Legend II. Just be sure to have dry wood on hand.

When you mean "best" you probably mean EPA-approved? I am not aware of any EPA-stove in that price range with a 8" flue. The Buck 80 may come closest. You could try a PE stove on that flue as they usually draft well. The True North TN20 would be the budget option there. Not sure if that firebox is large enough for your needs.

Are you sure people will dry properly seasoned wood for that stove? Maybe just leaving the stove there when the cabin is not used all winter would be easier.

When you mean "best" you probably mean EPA-approved? I am not aware of any EPA-stove in that price range with a 8" flue. The Buck 80 may come closest. You could try a PE stove on that flue as they usually draft well. The True North TN20 would be the budget option there. Not sure if that firebox is large enough for your needs.

Are you sure people will dry properly seasoned wood for that stove? Maybe just leaving the stove there when the cabin is not used all winter would be easier.

Yes I meant EPA-approved. The wood they will use is provided by me so it will be properly seasoned, but maybe we will just leave it. My first thought was a Buck stove actually. More than likely we will see how it works this year and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.