Best grapple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a kubota mx 5100 tractor. I have a bucket and a set forks. When I first bought it I thought about getting a grapple but I use the forks for everything. Carry logs out of the woods. Clean up the limbs and tops with the forks. Collected big rocks for landscaping with the forks. The forks are the most useful thing I have. I also read that good grapples for heavy duty work like concrete slabs and things like that need more hydraulics than my tractor would have. I also had recommendations that a 48” grapple would do everything you need.

What is the lifting capacity of your front loader? A heavy grapple will be stronger and might have more/better features, but a lighter one will let you lift more. Suggest looking for the lightest one that exceeds the FL lift.

Do you already have a third function valve? An SSQA frame? Probably since you're asking about grapples, but if not, you'll need the first and want the second.

How many HP does your tractor have?

Split tops are better for picking up uneven loads. Non-split tops are better at dragging backwards for raking and for collecting logs.

Root rakes are better for, um, (digging up) roots, but poor at picking up bundles of debris.

Pallet forks are more versatile than grapples overall, but they can't clear ground very well, and they're more likely to require someone to chain down a load if it is uneven enough.

AR450 tines are somewhat stronger, somewhat more brittle, and somewhat heavier than AR400.

Wicked Attachments and Homestead both make good grapples if they are light enough for your needs. Artillian is well made but heavy. Land Pride is a bit over-priced; they make some good light-to-medium grapples; and may be cheaper if there is a Kubota dealer near you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gearhead660
What is the lifting capacity of your front loader? A heavy grapple will be stronger and might have more/better features, but a lighter one will let you lift more. Suggest looking for the lightest one that exceeds the FL lift.

Do you already have a third function valve? An SSQA frame? Probably since you're asking about grapples, but if not, you'll need the first and want the second.

How many HP does your tractor have?

Split tops are better for picking up uneven loads. Non-split tops are better at dragging backwards for raking and for collecting logs.

Root rakes are better for, um, (digging up) roots, but poor at picking up bundles of debris.

Pallet forks are more versatile than grapples overall, but they can't clear ground very well, and they're more likely to require someone to chain down a load if it is uneven enough.

AR450 tines are somewhat stronger, somewhat more brittle, and somewhat heavier than AR400.

Wicked Attachments and Homestead both make good grapples if they are light enough for your needs. Artillian is well made but heavy. Land Pride is a bit over-priced; they make some good light-to-medium grapples; and may be cheaper if there is a Kubota dealer near you.
Tractor is 40hp with 2100 lb lift capacity, ssqa and am having 3rd function added.

I already have a set of pallet forks. Tired of things falling off while moving them. Anyone have a grapple on their forks?

Dont think root grapple will work for my needs, not digging up roots regularly. Been leaning towards a rock grapple style, more like a bucket.

I have a kubota mx 5100 tractor. I have a bucket and a set forks. When I first bought it I thought about getting a grapple but I use the forks for everything. Carry logs out of the woods. Clean up the limbs and tops with the forks. Collected big rocks for landscaping with the forks. The forks are the most useful thing I have. I also read that good grapples for heavy duty work like concrete slabs and things like that need more hydraulics than my tractor would have. I also had recommendations that a 48” grapple would do everything you need.
Yea the forks are what i use the most as well,i had to clean up a couple yards of junk and forks were used the most.It's fun to use them lots as your skill improves which opens up even more that you use the forks for

Yea the forks are what i use the most as well,i had to clean up a couple yards of junk and forks were used the most.It's fun to use them lots as your skill improves which opens up even more that you use the forks for
I transplanted a bunch of rhododendrons using the forks . Make them narrow and stab them under the plants. Lifts them right out of the ground root ball and all. My brother transplanted 20 or 30 Norway Spruce trees like that. Tilled a line where he wanted them. Pushed back some dirt with the bucket. Slid the forks under the trees and they lifted right out. Set them down in a line where he tilled and then shoveled dirt that he had pushed out onto the roots. Carried two 8’ hickory logs out of a creek bottom yesterday with the forks. When doing firewood I switch back and forth between forks and bucket all the time. Leave tree tops intact and you can move them easily with forks. Want a big rock half buried in the ground. Just stab your forks under it and pry it out. I didn’t buy a grapple and for my use I know now I didn’t need one. I also know someone else might have different needs then me.

Tractor is 40hp with 2100 lb lift capacity, ssqa and am having 3rd function added.

I already have a set of pallet forks. Tired of things falling off while moving them. Anyone have a grapple on their forks?

Dont think root grapple will work for my needs, not digging up roots regularly. Been leaning towards a rock grapple style, more like a bucket.
2100 lb is a lot of lift for 40 HP. Impressive.

Something like https://www.everythingattachments.com/60-Inch-Wicked-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-60-wrrg.htm might work well. The short lower tines are more versatile (easier to grab bundles from above) than the longer tines on https://www.everythingattachments.c...e-by-Everything-Attachments-p/eta-wrg-cmp.htm.

Pallet forks are not prybars and I wouldn't suggest using them in such a manner.

Also, how wide the top lid opens is also important in regards to picking piles of things up.

Moving brush, firewood, rocks
I went the route of having a bucket and grapple, seperate units. Loose materials, small rocks, split cordwood, use the bucket. Branches, logs, stones, firewood rounds, grapple. My order of use - grapple, bucket, tree puller,- - - - forks. I don't use the forks much, if I can grab hold of it better with the grapple. Brother inlaw had a titan grapple, and promply bent it, repaired, bent, repaired, repeat. Finally ordered a CTA 55" grapple. That unit has been bullet proof. I then ordered the CTA, same experience here. It's light weight, I think 350#, grade 80 steel. You can put in round bar inserts if using it for small rocks, cordwood etc. In the winter I also use it to rake and sever off small brush - the serated tines lop them off at ground level.
Made in Fondulac WI
Kioti CK4010 40hp

Last edited:
I went the route of having a bucket and grapple, seperate units. Loose materials, small rocks, split cordwood, use the bucket. Branches, logs, stones, firewood rounds, grapple. My order of use - grapple, bucket, tree puller,- - - - forks. I don't use the forks much, if I can grab hold of it better with the grapple. Brother inlaw had a titan grapple, and promply bent it, repaired, bent, repaired, repeat. Finally ordered a CTA 55" grapple. That unit has been bullet proof. I then ordered the CTA, same experience here. It's light weight, I think 350#, grade 80 steel. You can put in round bar inserts if using it for small rocks, cordwood etc. In the winter I also use it to rake and sever off small brush - the serated tines lop them off at ground level.
Made in Fondulac WI
Kioti CK4010 40hp

That one looks slick. Very nice.

Pallet forks are not prybars and I wouldn't suggest using them in such a manner.

Also, how wide the top lid opens is also important in regards to picking piles of things up.
I just push the two forks together and dig in from side to side . I’m not talking about 2,000 lb. rocks. I have heavy forks. Never felt like I would break them.

My forks are pry -bars,shovels,trenchers,pick it uppers, ect.
To me they are a tool to get jobs done.
Just like a screwdriver is not a chisel or a pry-bar
Crescent wrench is not a hammer
Watch Johnny Jet on Barnwood Builders,he has skillz with forks,70 % of what he does with forks are not what forks are made for.
And just like any other tool they get looked at for any damage once in a while.

Reactions: mrc and spuldup
My forks are pry -bars,shovels,trenchers,pick it uppers, ect.
To me they are a tool to get jobs done.
Just like a screwdriver is not a chisel or a pry-bar
Crescent wrench is not a hammer
Watch Johnny Jet on Barnwood Builders,he has skillz with forks,70 % of what he does with forks are not what forks are made for.
And just like any other tool they get looked at for any damage once in a while.
Thank you. I’m 66 years old and felt like I had gotten into trouble. I use my bucket to grub out brush too. Just cut a lane thru some silky dogwood and multi flora rose. Just put the bucket edge tilted right down to the ground and it pushes them right out of the ground roots and all. Push them into a pile.( If it’s not alright to use the bucket like that then I didn’t do it)

Reactions: spuldup
Thank you. I’m 66 years old and felt like I had gotten into trouble. I use my bucket to grub out brush too. Just cut a lane thru some silky dogwood and multi flora rose. Just put the bucket edge tilted right down to the ground and it pushes them right out of the ground roots and all. Push them into a pile.( If it’s not alright to use the bucket like that then I didn’t do it)
59 going on 39 here

This one is at the top of the list so far. Looks well built, greaseable joints, light weight. Think it would work well for what i plan to do with it.

Bonus- its a short drive away.

Gearhead660 Take a look at Everything Attachments grapples. The Kubota crowd seem to like them. I run a eight foot ROBO grapple made in KS on my hundred horse skid steer. Its a heavy grapple but I have used it hard and its stood up. There's many of years I put hundred plus hours on the skid steer running the grapple. Piled a lot of brush and hauled a lot of logs with it. I wouldn't be without a grapple fork.

This one is at the top of the list so far. Looks well built, greaseable joints, light weight. Think it would work well for what i plan to do with it.

Bonus- its a short drive away.
I would bet you'd be happy with that one. It looks to be quite optimized for your use, and semi-local.

I have the Titan Implements (now Iron Craft) 60" Economy 1 cyl root grapple. I would not recommend it because it can fall off the QA when bending downward. When it works, it works great, but it has limited capability. Maybe they have improved it. I know I will come spring.

View attachment 307613

I would look for something with 2 cylinders where each controls an independent set of dogs. That way, uneven loads are grabbed more completley.
That's a nice looking rig. I'm finally looking into grapples and pallet forks. Your comment to not recommend is extremely valuable to me since that brand was one of my considerations.

"...I would not recommend it because it can fall off the QA when bending downward..."
Why do you think the unit comes off at the bottom? Are the locking pins too short? Is the SS blank too large? If there is an improvement, you should ask if the manufacture will make it right since that design is dangerous and someone might get hurt or worse. Thanks for any feedback.

I purchased a pallet forks that I recently thought of adding a diy grapple to and think it would be a nice addition.

That's a nice looking rig. I'm finally looking into grapples and pallet forks. Your comment to not recommend is extremely valuable to me since that brand was one of my considerations.

Why do you think the unit comes off at the bottom? Are the locking pins too short? Is the SS blank too large? If there is an improvement, you should ask if the manufacture will make it right since that design is dangerous and someone might get hurt or worse. Thanks for any feedback.
This has been fixed since my posting. My tractor manufacturer, Kioti, identified a geometric failure in the quick attach. They added offset plates to correct this, and it hasn't been an issue since, Now the Titan grapple is worry free! I can point it straight doen and scoop up brush from the top of a big pile no problem. A grapple is one of the coolest attachments to run on a CUT.

Forgot to update on what became of my search. Been very busy.
Ended up getting a 55" Compact Tractor Attachments grapple. Very easy to work with them. Great communication. Just a shipping issue, mine went on its way to Florida and I got the one that was supposed to go to Florida. All the carrier's fault, labels were all correct.
Used it for 3-4 hrs this weekend. Very happy with it. Will not use forks to load/move wood again! I still loathe cleaning up brush, but now just a little less.
20230506_164348.jpg
20230506_090503.jpg

Nice! One of the best attachments.