Best Heat Powered Stovetop Fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

upthecrik

Oct 26, 2019
Sandpoint, ID
Hi all,
I’ve been shopping around for one of those little heat powered fans. Per usual, all of the brands claim theirs move more CFM’s than all the other brands and the reviews from buyers at places like Amazon seem like they’re all over the map as well.

Soooooo ... I figured I’d ask the experts.
Anyone on here have an opinion? And if so, could you include the CFM rating?

Thank you!

I don't know that a cfm number would be accurate. The Stirling engine powered fan works off the difference in temperature between the sides. If that became the selling point, they'd test with a stove that was overfiring and have a block of dry ice on top. Not very realistic for real world use.

Are you looking to move the warm air around the house . . . or an interesting, decorative piece on top of the stove?

Some folks say the little fan works OK . . . but I would say most folks who want to move the heated air around the home use an electric fan placed on the floor, aimed towards the stove to set up a convection loop with cool air being pushed towards the stove, warm air up higher near the stove is displaced and moves outward until it cools and falls and the process is repeated.

Reactions: moresnow
A wood stove can put out say 30,000Btu/hr.
That is the equivalent of around 9000 watts.
It’s a significant power source. Some of which is used to “passively” move air.
(just try pushing warm air down stairs and you'll find out how "passive" it is)

"The Ecofan AirMax Model 812 produces it’s own electricity and has a maximum draw down of 1 [one] watt"
http://stovefanreviews.com/product/ecofan-airmax-model-812/

A ceiling fan on low draws about 50watts.

Math good. Reality bad.

You can’t get something from nothing, no power draw, no air movement.

An incense stick goes a long way to determine air movement in the house. It's surprising how much and how fast that can be with a stove alone as the driver. Placing box fans in strategic places can boost all of that. The stove top fans may help some, but if you’re serious about getting air to move, there are better ways

Last edited:
If a great novelty, but not much else.