Best pellet price Ever, Even I was Amazed $8.90 / Bag

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Webmaster said:
Here is what you do with those multipliers....

that figure x the number of BTUs in the UNIT on the compare page =1 million BTU of heat input.

So the value for Gas, which is 10 is multiplied by THERM (the unit on the calc page) to equal 1 million BTU
The value for Pellets, .062, must be multiplied against the BTU in a TON of Pellets (again the unit on the calc page) to equal one million BTU. So if a ton has 2000 (lb) times 8,000 BTU/LB that is 16,000,000 BTU x .062 which equals a million BTU.

So, in this way, those figures can be checked for accuracy against what one thinks the fuel value should be.

So those are my fuel BTU assumptions.....

The chart allows for the user to adjust effic. and price, so those are variables, but the BTU values are hard-coded in.
Thanks for the clarification craig.
I came up with those #s too on page 7, just using my bassakwards way of doing things.
That 5600 BTU I went back and checked I figured that at 70% oops..
Where were you 4 pages ago.....

But in my checking I think that my conclusion on this whole thing was that the #s should be alittle bit lower for hardwood.....
After all is the calculator for people looking to get off of fossil fuels or for the hardcore wood guy's that know that orange ossage is about 30mil BTU's

Be right back with an edit....

PutnamJct said:
Don't you need to take into account where those BTU's are being pumped into the house?

I still maintain that everyone's situation and house layout is different and there is no way to figure these variables into any calculator.
PS: Local Home Despot & Lowes both at $5.99 per bag.

NO, the key is that those variables matter, but the FUEL used does not. In other words, a Monitor kerosene stove burning at 20,000 BTU is going to do the same job as a Pellet or Wood stove - or gas stove in the same location at 20,000 BTU.

So, you are correct that it is difficult to figure out how much area a particular stove might heat- but the cost per btu comparison is still accurate.

PutnamJct said:
Don't you need to take into account where those BTU's are being pumped into the house?

I still maintain that everyone's situation and house layout is different and there is no way to figure these variables into any calculator.

All fuel prices have such radical swings from coast to coast. Pellets are way more expensive in the NY/NE area then out west, oil is much more expensive in NY then Maine. I think each person needs to decide based on their individual situation and fuel availability on what the right choice is.

PS: Local Home Despot & Lowes both at $5.99 per bag.

Yes Putnum, exactly. While I find this argument interesting it really is not very appropriate to compare zone heaters with central heating systems. Pellet and wood stoves are zone heaters. Oil and gas are most often used in central systems. And every zone in every house is different and each person feels things differently. It's hard to call ones stove superior just because it burns a different fuel. There are way too many variables to consider. But, it's fun to argue.

So, GVA, you are saying that a cord of seasoned hardwood does not average, say 3100 LBs at 8000 BTU/Lb? I think the moisture situation is corrected by the actual efficiency.

Looking at:
https://www.hearth.com/what/heatvalues.html

yeah, maybe I should average 22 or 23 million BTU input for hardwoods. Oak has about 25, but mixed are probably less.

wow you guy's are fast I didn't have time to put this in the other post.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/fuel-value-calculator.pdf

This is what I was going by for the average of hardwoods, and I had found another that told what each one was for BTU's I have to go find that.
EDIT
I can't find it it was huge I should have posted it when I found it but here is another, it's a short list but I think some of the values could be added to the hearth value page.

http://www.burnsbest.com/Info/woodvalue.php

Another EDIT
What are the amounts per year based on?
looks like Hardwood is about 3.8 cords per year
while softwood and pellets is 5.9 cords or 5.9 tons a year respectivley.

Webmaster said:
So, you are correct that it is difficult to figure out how much area a particular stove might heat- but the cost per btu comparison is still accurate.

So how do I correlate those numbers against my real cost to keep warm this season? $1100 in pellets for the whole season vs $2600 in oil last season? It is safe to say that oil would have cost as much or more this season here in NY. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, but I saved a ton (pardon the pun) this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.