Best Pellet Stove and Installation Location for Uninsulated Garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

musonius

Nov 12, 2017
Ohio
I'm looking for recommendations on a pellet stove for a two-car garage that has a second floor room. I'd really like to put the pellet stove on the first floor, so both spaces would be heated, but from what I'm reading on the forums, it seems the pellet heaters don't distribute heat that well. If I had two bathroom exhaust fans above the pellet stove pulling heat to the second floor, would that work? Or would it be better to just put the pellet stove on the second floor. I will be spending more time on the second floor than the main garage, but ideally would like both heated if possible (using one pellet stove).

I'm looking at lower cost models like the Serenity and PelPro TSC90. Are either of those ok for this scenario? Any other recommendations? I'm not opposed to getting a higher priced model if it's worth it, but would prefer to go less if it's feasible.

Thanks in advance

Better check local codes too. Do a search on stoves in garages. Insurance can be issue too.

Reactions: bags
Just something I experienced when I brought home a used PC 45 to clean and work on. I had this stove out in an uninsulated 2 car garage that has exposed concrete walls and zero insulation at the time when I was fine tuning it. I had it hooked up and running out there for a couple of weeks during the cold.

It heated the space fine but insulation is money well spent. I think you could heat what you want to but I'd look into sealing your garage and area above up and insulating it. Money spent there will be recouped on pellet savings in years to come. BTW, at the time I had the 45 out in a garage I have the place had more holes in it than the Titanic. Bad garage doors etc; on and on.... I have replaced those with new insulated and sealed it up.

It is currently unheated unless I decide to run my Outdoor wood boiler. There are some good reviews here on the Serenity and many owners that seem to be very content and happy with them. Do some research and reading. Just Google them.