Best pellet stove for the money?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
I currently have a Quadrafire Castile FS pellet stove to heat my house it have been working erratically for about a year. So, I'm getting close to retirement and looking to possibly getting a new one. The Castile puts out 30,600 BTU's, so I would need something comparable in size. I want one that runs of of a thermostat, that will ignite and shutdown just like a furnace.

I looked at the Castle's Serenity, but it supposedly doesn't ignite and shutdown like a furnace. I like the Castile, but price on a new one is around $3500.

Bob

Correct the Serenity will not shutdown, If your are looking for something a bit cheaper then the quads, heatilator makes a few different stoves that will do what you want and they use many quad parts. Or you could figure out what is the problem with the quad and keep it.

I like the Quadrafire Castile, but a year ago I took the blower motor out to clean it and accidently pinched the wires when putting it back in. Started it up and it fried the control board, ever since its been acting up. The thermostat will call for heat and the red call button turns on, but that's all. Combustion motor and auger do not start up. You can push the reset button and it will start right up and call run for a week and not do it or it will fail to start a number of times a day. It also will start in the morning and run for a while it may bring the room temp up to heat or not then shut down. You can push the reset button and it will start up and may run all day or not. I bought the stove new in 2007, in the last year I've replaced the combustion motor, ignitor and thermocouple,

Is it possible that the cause is the auger motor? When the stove runs it runs good. Or the control board I replaced a year ago is the problem. Didn't have any problems until I fried the old control board.

Bob

more than likely you damaged the control board with the short/pinched wires. never do any maint with the stove plugged in. you have already changed out most of the main components, I would put in a new board and run that stove for another 20 years. they dont make em like that anymore. :)

I replaced the board in January of 2020 after the wires got pinched. Stove was not plugged in at the time. Stove start and ran until the blower started up then it shorted out. I'm going to buy a new board next fall so I can get quite a bit of use out of it while it's under warranty.

Bob