Best Size Bar for MS440 Magnum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check with the local farmers. With all the round and large square bale (and even bags) stuff going on now many of the old bale elevators are sitting in da weeds.
(Not sure what you got for critter farmers up your way, though).

In response to the thread title, I wouldn't go bigger than a 28. I have a 441 and have used 18, 20, and 36 inch bars. 20 is the sweet spot for mine, an 18 just rips though haha.
I would look into a lighter saw personally, especially cutting log length wood.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Check with the local farmers. With all the round and large square bale (and even bags) stuff going on now many of the old bale elevators are sitting in da weeds.
(Not sure what you got for critter farmers up your way, though).

Funny, it is very rare to see people working small bales out here anymore. Lots of white plastic wrapped "marshmallow" bales out here now. Need a tractor to move them though.

I am sure there would need to be some hacking and whacking to modify it for height and length. Could probably rig one so that it could be moved fairly easy.

Edit: "need a tractor to move" - after re-reading, I now suspect you were talking about the bales, not the elevator.;em

Last edited:
Howdy yall. Just an update to let you know that today I finally picked up my new 28" ES Light bar and chain! I'm really quite happy with the results so far, and I think it is going to be a wonderful addition to the Bundle Kings small cache of back saving tools which will allow me to continue cutting happily into the future..... Here's a couple of pics showing off the shiny new bar! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3575 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3575 (1024x768).jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3582 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3582 (1024x768).jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_3584 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3584 (1024x768).jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_3585 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3585 (1024x768).jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_3587 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3587 (1024x768).jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 267
I've got the same bar for my 044/MS440 mongrel. Get yourself a loop or two of skip chain for it.

Howdy yall. Just an update to let you know that today I finally picked up my new 28" ES Light bar and chain! I'm really quite happy with the results so far, and I think it is going to be a wonderful addition to the Bundle Kings small cache of back saving tools which will allow me to continue cutting happily into the future..... Here's a couple of pics showing off the shiny new bar! :)

Glad your happy but man that saw is way way overkill for those little toothpicks your cutting.

It's his money and if he likes it and it helps his back issues then who is anyone to judge.

Personally I would have put an 18 inch or 20 inch bar on it for those logs. Or keep the 16 inch. It's not a waste of a 70cc saw with a short bar if it works for the user. Although a smaller lighter saw would probably help your back :)

However looking at the pictures I've got to say your saw still looks new! My saws look like yours for about 3 or 4 months ! Cool wood stacks !

It's his money and if he likes it and it helps his back issues then who is anyone to judge.

Personally I would have put an 18 inch or 20 inch bar on it for those logs. Or keep the 16 inch. It's not a waste of a 70cc saw with a short bar if it works for the user. Although a smaller lighter saw would probably help your back :)

However looking at the pictures I've got to say your saw still looks new! My saws look like yours for about 3 or 4 months ! Cool wood stacks !

I was talking about the saw not the blade. A 440 for branches is a little overkill. Look at his stack.

Last edited:

Deep down, I do admit that I'm going to have to get a smaller lighter saw eventually, because I've got quite advanced arthritis in my lower spine and in my neck, and no matter how you look at it, the 440 is a heavy saw (at least for this little fella it is).... But I'm pretty darn happy right now. Been cutting most of the evening and I feel pretty darn good.

Now back over to what Jags was talking about (lifting the logs with some sort of elevation device) I stopped by to talk to my welder buddy that did up my bundle Jig for me (see pic below). We started throwing around some ideas and came up with a possible rig that would look something like one level of a rectangular scaffolding rig (albeit built with 2" or 3" square steel tubing) with a heavy duty set of wheels on the bottom to give it mobility, and one or possibly two winches fixed on the top and sort of offset from the center by maybe 1.5' or 2'. So basically I'd pull down a log of the pile and use the peavey to roll it over a couple of feet and then roll this mobile winch rig over top of the log until it's centred. Then it's a simple matter of hooking up the log to the winch(es) and hauling it up 24" or 36" off the ground. Then I just whip out my bran new little MS291 (which I'll have bought by then) and start chunking 'er up at my leisure, and Bob's Yer Uncle! :)

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 224
I was talking about the saw not the blade. A 044 for branches is a little overkill. Look at his stack.
Well it's the only saw I've got, so it cuts the biggest logs in the pile and the smallest branches in the pile as well... :) I cut everything that comes in on a load, no waste whatsoever, and those small little branches are darn handy for gettin tucked into the bundles I sell to make em good and solid....

Well it's the only saw I've got, so it cuts the biggest logs in the pile and the smallest branches in the pile as well...

Have to use what you got makes sense. I understand because I used to use a big saw for everything because that's really all I had. Nowadays though my 50cc saw gets used 9 out of 10 times and my bigger saws stay on the bench. They are there when and if I need them.

By the way you mentioned getting a little ms291!! if those are anything like the older ms290 they are just dang near as heavy as your 044 minus close to half the power. If your staying with Stihl a used 026 or 260 or if your buying new a 261. Or consider some different brands other than Stihl for some good options in the 50cc pro saw category.

Last edited:
Have to use what you got makes sense. I understand because I used to use a big saw for everything because that's really all I had. Nowadays though my 50cc saw gets used 9 out of 10 times and my bigger saws stay on the bench. They are there when and if I need them.

By the way you mentioned getting a little ms291!! if those are anything like the older ms290 they are just dang near as heavy as your 044 minus close to half the power. If your staying with Stihl a used 026 or 260 or if your buying new a 261. Or consider some different brands other than Stihl for some good options in the 50cc pro saw category.
Well heck yes, you're absolutely right! The 261 would definitely be the saw to fill in the "lighter saw" category... significantly lighter than the 440 and the 291... Good call, and thanks! :)

And by the way, would the 261 be able to pull a 20" bar alright?

Well heck yes, you're absolutely right! The 261 would definitely be the saw to fill in the "lighter saw" category... significantly lighter than the 440 and the 291... Good call, and thanks! :)

And by the way, would the 261 be able to pull a 20" bar alright?

20" is a little on the long side for a 261, much as a 28" is for the 440. Doable in both cases, but it'll slow the cut a bit.

A Husqvarna 545 or 550 would be an excellent alternative to the 261.

If I were shopping for the ultimate 20" B&C setup for a 261, I'd get a Picco sprocket, a Cannon Supermini bar and some loops of Stihl 63PS (chisel) or Oregon 91VXL (semi-chisel) to fit.

20" is a little on the long side for a 261, much as a 28" is for the 440. Doable in both cases, but it'll slow the cut a bit.

A Husqvarna 545 or 550 would be an excellent alternative to the 261.

If I were shopping for the ultimate 20" B&C setup for a 261, I'd get a Picco sprocket, a Cannon Supermini bar and some loops of Stihl 63PS (chisel) or Oregon 91VXL (semi-chisel) to fit.
Well to be honest I hadn't really noticefd any difference in performance with the new bar on the 440, although I'm far from an expert on judging how a machine operates just by sound or whatever. It sure seemed to cut just as nice and quick as usual....

Well to be honest I hadn't really noticefd any difference in performance with the new bar on the 440, although I'm far from an expert on judging how a machine operates just by sound or whatever. It sure seemed to cut just as nice and quick as usual....

True, when we think about bar length tolerances we're assuming you'd actually be using the entire length to cut with. If you're only bucking 15" logs then the performance difference would be minimal.

True, if you're only bucking 15" logs then the performance difference would be minimal.
And just imagine if you're only bucking an 8" or a 6" stick..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.