• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Asbjornsen

Dec 13, 2020
UK, Cumbria
I was wondering what thermometer would be best for an inset stove as it seems most of the thermometers are geared towards fire with visible pipes or fume. Is there a certain thermometer for inset stoves or would I just use any stove thermometer and try to place it on the stove itself?

Welcome to the Forums !!!

Do you mean an insert, or a free standing stove?

Welcome! I see you are in the UK.

I use an IR thermometer. I can only shoot the pipe just above the collar and it’s better than nothing.
Now that I really know the insert I don’t even bother anymore.

I thought that inset stove was just the British term for an insert.

Three episodes of Escape to the Country are on daily over here, and my wife and I watch them. Do people really stage their wood to be burned right next to their stove?

A former colleague of mine and friend of my wife is in West Sussex. Has a horse transportation business.

It occurred to me that I should have really put some pictures of the stove here to give more an idea of what I am working with. Where a magnetic thermometer could go on this that would give an accurate reading?

IMG_20201215_180402.jpg

I use an IR thermometer. I can only shoot the pipe just above the collar and it’s better than nothing.
Now that I really know the insert I don’t even bother anymore.

Seems this is my best bet, though I think I will also order a cheap magnetic thermometer as well with the hope that we can find a place to put it.

is the standard $15-30 IR thermometer from any home center good enough? any specific features above and beyond the core functionality that are important?

Glad to be here.

It is an insert stove that we are using, I thought they were called inset stove for some odd reason ;lol
What stove make and model is this? It looks like the best place to read the temperature will be on the door above the glass and below the slats. If you get an IR thermometer, be sure it can read up to at least 1000ºF.

That's a good example of what I mentioned in the thread where the person was looking for a taller narrow stove or insert for their fireplace opening.

I mentioned that we watch Escape to the Country and there seem to be a lot more taller, narrower stoves in the UK than we see here. They fit in fireplaces in old homes. And old means much older than we see here in the U.S.. Like centuries older. :)