Best way to approach cutting this hung up tree!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I have some standing dead pines that I hoped would make it till winter so I could get them down but this one didn't wait. It decided to fall and get hung up on some other pines during the week when it was windy. This isn't something I need to get down for firewood purposes(of course I'll burn it) but it's screwing up my hunting! Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to deal with this? I thinking a big face cut near the bottom then the back cut and let it slide down??

Advice really needed before I do something stupid and hurt myself. :lol:

PA100004.jpg

PA100005.jpg

PA100006.jpg

PA100007.jpg

Umm, move the treestand :lol: Its always a best if you are there type thing with hung trees. They do like to kick back. I will let others chime in but if it were me I would cut up from the inside to carefully try and take some presure off. It may walk off the stump and still be hung. Never a GOOD way to tackle it unless you pull it in a safe direction with a tractor or truck with plenty of line... Good luck!

Is the tree the stand is in also dead? If so, I would notch and fell the two as one.

Yep, should have been more clear, cut some from the inside them outside the cut. I thought about taking down the one with the treestand but you better be able to run like hell if it starts to let go... I tried that once and was left in the treetops. When it let loose it was so fast that I did not have a chance to move but 6 feet...

When it's time to run, forget about the saw and just go. My saw has a nasty dent in the muffler and scrape on the handle. Of course, always have more than one escape route planned.

LLigetfa said:
Is the tree the stand is in also dead? If so, I would notch and fell the two as one.

Nope that tree is alive, it's actually centered between two tree's and both are alive.(typical) My stand was actually in the one that fell I just moved it over a tree a couple weeks ago. :lol: It was funny, I had my dad help me move it and he says "that tree is still fine it's not going to fall yet" A couple weeks later and it's leaning on the new tree stand tree. He was over today and I say "you're right old man that tree wasn't going anywhere!" His reply was "hey you wouldn't have hit the ground those other tree's would've stopped ya" :lol:

burntime said:
Yep, should have been more clear, cut some from the inside them outside the cut.

Yeah that was my thinking.

I really wish it wasn't a hot spot or I'd just move the stand, I'm only on 3 acres so spots are limited.

can't speak to how safe this is, but this is how I've done it in the past. make the white cuts first, then make the red one and be ready to run. the tree should bend and drop right down. you may have to do this a few times before the tree gets loose and falls the rest of the way

PA100005.jpg

m0jumb0 Nice job with the photo edit to show your point. I'm quite impressed. That is just the way I wanted to suggest but would have typed for 15 minutes to try describing it. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Hard to tell from here. but that looks relatively safe to work your way up from the stump with relief cuts on the top followed by undercutting from the bottom. The tree looks to be hung pretty good and shouldn't come down too quick. The tree your stand is in will be your protection as the hanger should roll away from it as you work up the hanger. Pay attention, clear all trip hazards as you go, keep a good escape route, bring a spotter and take your time.

Well, is it kindlin yet? :lol:

What about putting a very strong rope, or a cable or chain, about a foot above where it already broke, and then pulling that portion of the trunk using something like a 4WD tractor? (rope/ chain long enough that you are well away from the tree). Pull the stump end out, and the rest will, as you go, settle/drop to positions that will be easier to get at and safer to cut.

rdust, I can see why that is goofing up your hunting. lol

Many of us here have had this sort of thing happen. That tree is not very big and should be easy to get down, but one still has to respect the potential danger while cutting.

I do it similar to how m0jumb0 shows, with a little different tact. The first order is to determine which way that log is going to want to fall when I make the cut. Then I stand on the opposite side to make the cut. I always cut at a 90 degree angle to the log and not on a slant as the picture shows. I make the top cut so that the saw is not much over waist high but preferably at waist height. Then make the bottom cut.

EDIT: On the bottom cut, at the beginning of the bottom cut I will actually get the saw a bit under the log so that the bar is not at the very bottom but up a little on the opposite side and then bring it to the bottom. ( I hope this is not mis-understood. ) This has the effect of further making the log want to break off away from you rather than coming at you. End of edit.

Be on your toes when making the cut and watch the crack. When it starts opening up (on the bottom) be ready to get out of the way if necessary.

Most times you won't cut all the way through before it breaks off. Usually the log will want to buckle and will come down and you can then do this same thing all the way to the top if necessary.

If you aren't certain which way the log, or tree will fall once you make the cut, you can always use a chain, cable or heavy rope and tie it to another tree to make sure it won't come at you.

I hope I've made clear how I do it but please ask more questions if you aren't sure.

rdust, don't be afraid to PM me about this.

Bigg_Redd said:
Get a line around it as high as you can and put a come-along on it.

exactly, just winch it down.....or
do a small wedge on the inside lean and winch it from the bottom back...

Bigg_Redd said:
Get a line around it as high as you can and put a come-along on it.
+1

burntime said:
Well, is it kindlin yet? :lol:

Not yet, maybe a project for next weekend.

If it's reachable w/ some degree of safety, I'd move the stand first...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
If it's reachable w/ some degree of safety, I'd move the stand first...

Gooserider

I'll pull the stand down before I mess with it. I actually sat in it for a second but didn't feel comfortable with a big tree hanging almost over my head! I want to start with it this weekend but it may end up waiting longer, I have an action packed weekend with two birthday parties and a bachelor party. :)

I agree with the pull it down method. Use the tree stand to get a rope up high, and pull it down with a truck or large tractor.

gzecc said:
I agree with the pull it down method. Use the tree stand to get a rope up high, and pull it down with a truck or large tractor.

No access with a truck or tractor or it would be easy. Best I could do would be a come along, not sure if that would get it or not....

rdust said:
gzecc said:

No access with a truck or tractor or it would be easy. Best I could do would be a come along, not sure if that would get it or not....

At least if you have a come along up high you will know what direction its NOT going to go.

I would still put the come along on it up high. Cut then rock (pulling the rope from far away). Eventually it will come down from pulling. Probably the lowest risk of injury. Probably also take the longest.

I would also do the cuts similar to those shown in the drawing . I would also chain / rope from about 5' up the trunk to a solid object on the side away from where you are cutting to slow or stop it from kicking toward you. Then also tie a rope as high as you can get to control the tree during the cut and assist in pulling it down.
This is assuming you can't get a device to pull the tree over , I would use my 4wheeler and winch to try pulling the tree loose first without making any cuts.
I have also used a small come a long I think 4 ton to do the same thing.
One other note when you start the cuts and get to a point where it starts to pull away you can always back off and use a pole saw to reach in from a safe distance and make the final cut ... looks a little silly but it sure beats a tree in the head !

Status
Not open for further replies.