Best way to approach cutting this hung up tree!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I took a few minutes and made a few cuts today. If came down but now it's standing almost straight up. I'm going to try to pull it back over with a come a long tomorrow, I had friends coming over or I would have continued today.

rdust said:
Well I took a few minutes and made a few cuts today. If came down but now it's standing almost straight up. I'm going to try to pull it back over with a come a long tomorrow, I had friends coming over or I would have continued today.

I hope you put some hazard tape or other marking around the danger area if you are leaving the tree in that condition! I've always been taught that you should never leave a hanger until it's on the ground unless it's a real emergency situation... Essentially the problem is that a hanger isn't stable, and it can come down without warning on someone walking through the area that wasn't aware of the danger. Possibly even worse, is the possibility that some kids might find it and see it as a neat potential play spot (Hey Johny, look at that leaning tree, betcha I can climb up it further than you can....) If it's been sectioned such that the remaining trunk has gone back to vertical, it's probably even less stable than it was originally since only the tangle of any branches are holding it up, and a gust of wind the wrong way could make it fall in just about any direction....

My personal approach if I get a hanger that I've taken sections out of until it's gone vertical is to treat it almost like a new tree, and make a set of normal felling cuts aimed to drop the tree back towards it's original trunk... (often with a comealong or equivalent to help encourage it to go the way I want....)

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I hope you put some hazard tape or other marking around the danger area if you are leaving the tree in that condition!

I can appropriate your concern but it's not in a traveled area. This isn't a city type setting, I'm in the country and neighbors are pretty spread out. My neighbor to the west has kids but they have a nice sized piece of property so they don't wander onto my property.

I've lived here for 3 years and have deer camera's in that area and have never seen anything but wild animals so it'll be ok until I get it on the ground.

Just remembered I needed to update this. The tree is down and in pieces, I need to cut it to stove length and split it when I get some time. I ended up making one more cut with it almost straight up and it came down about three feet but was still hung up on a tree but not by much. I put a ladder on the tree it was leaning on from the back side so I was protected and tied a 50' rope around it. It was in a spot where I couldn't get get a truck or a real tractor but my garden tractor JD GT 225 was enough to pull it down since it was hardly hung up.

Thanks for all the sound advice!

How was the wood you got out of that tree? Looked like it was pretty rotten in the pics.

Kenny
John 3:16

In similar situations I have used a can hook to roll the tree out after cutting it off of the stump. But now that I am older and have better equipment I tend to get wild at times.

IMG_0754.jpg

Billy

akennyd said:
How was the wood you got out of that tree? Looked like it was pretty rotten in the pics.

Kenny
John 3:16

Honestly I haven't even payed attention. I've noticed most standing dead pine is usually pretty punky.

Status
Not open for further replies.