Best way to move the wood from the pile to my house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the type of cart I want to get! Lowes was out yesterday, but I'm going to keep looking...

BTW: The cart looks even nicer with the Fiskars strategically displayed. ;)
Got mine at TS http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/groundworkreg;-heavy-duty-utility-cart-1000-lb-capacity It has a Handle that converts between pull handle and trailer hitch
I use it a lot around my property for ,anything and everything , some times use it while scrounging to get wood out of peoples yards

Reactions: BillLion
Mine is in the garage full of tools i was using down at the shed. It can be a nice little work bench too.

Growing up, the woodstove was in the family room. The woodbox was on the back porch, just outside the family room. The porch was about 5 feet off the ground, and the woodshed was about 100 yards from the house. As a kid, one of my daily chores was to fill the woodbox. I was certain that my parents took loads of wood back to the shed every day when I was at school, because there was NO WAY they burned that much wood. (oh, the feeble teenage mind).

For the entire time I lived at home, (until I was 21) my dad hauled wood from the shed to the house by the armful. I used a wheelbarrow when the conditions allowed, and the toboggan once there was a lot of snow on the ground. My dad used to scoff at me for being "lazy." A few years after I moved out and he was back to doing it himself, he started occasionally using the wheelbarrow / toboggan method. Then, in a stroke of "slap your forehead" genius, he realized that we have a circle driveway, and that you could drive up to the door of the shed, put the wood on the tailgate of the truck, and drive it right up to the porch. Duh!

I realize the original poster's situation is slightly different, but the moral of the story still applies - don't overlook the obvious.

BTW - I really like the "removable chute on the stairs" idea.

Reactions: Gasifier
I was amazed how much the second wheel did for a plain ole wheel barrow.

upload_2013-9-16_21-49-0.png

Reactions: HDRock
I'd use a wheelbarrow to bring the wood to the house in bad weather.

I have my stacks about 30-50 feet from and slightly lower than the house. Use "bins" (sold here for carrying groceries: plastic, about 12 inches deep, 12 inches wide and about 18 inches long, I guess, with molded plastic handles on end as well as nylon web carrying straps on the side) generally. Fill two at a time and carry them to the stairs and stair platform. Usually fill about eight bins, then carry them inside. They completely contain and mess, are easy to carry, and each holds enough for a nice fire. Can leave them inside the sliding glass door if I'm busy, or immediately take them over to the stove. Easy to stack as they are used, and really easy to grab a couple each time I take the dog for a walk, so easy to keep the supply plentiful. Seldom have to carry much at once: only when a storm threatens and I don't want to have to carry wood for a day or two.

Inexpensive (no cost, as I have the bins for food shopping anyway, and use the bins in summer for gardening, carrying squash (HA!). Works well.

Reactions: NortheastAl
I just purchased a Gorilla cart a few weeks ago and already moved 4 cords of wood around 60 feet. I would say besides my Fiskars X27 this is the best Firewood accessory I have bought and wish I got it sooner. It even has a dumping feature that makes eveything quicker, and is really well balanced.

http://www.amazon.com/GOR866D-Heavy-Duty-Convertible-200-Pound-Capacity/dp/B00B0C683K/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379428981&sr=8-2&keywords=gorilla cart

I like the way these carts can also be hooked to a garden tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.