Best Way to Start E/W Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two splits on bottom E/W, 1/4 SuperCedar and a cup of wood pellets in the seam between them, 2 or 3 splits on top and light. Door open slightly for usually 5 minutes or so.

Reactions: raybonz
Two splits on bottom E/W, 1/4 SuperCedar and a cup of wood pellets in the seam between them, 2 or 3 splits on top and light. Door open slightly for usually 5 minutes or so.
Interesting using pellets as kindling! How well does that work as I have had good luck using no kindling and just 1/6 of a SC..

Ray

Been doing it for a few years now; during the week I light the stove every night when I get home so it was a pain keeping that much kindling around throw the pellets in a metal trash can on the porch. Haven't tried going with just the Super Cedar, I might give it a shot.

Been doing it for a few years now; during the week I light the stove every night when I get home so it was a pain keeping that much kindling around throw the pellets in a metal trash can on the porch. Haven't tried going with just the Super Cedar, I might give it a shot.
I find just 1/6 SC works well.. I place 2 splits NS then a layer EW on top of the NS layer with the SC placed between the NS wood and the fire runs between the splits from the SC towards the back of the stove due to my air coming in from the front and the fire is well established well before the SC is done burning.

Ray

I tried the Canadian top down today...it didn't take off too well, and I'm assuming it's my wood. It's my first season burning so my wood is a tiny bit green. It measures 20-23 for the most part with some central parts of the split at 25%. I threw some bio brick in and scrap pine and things took off nicely.

It's great to hear what other people are doing. Cool idea on the wood pellets Jim.

I tried the Canadian top down today...it didn't take off too well, and I'm assuming it's my wood. It's my first season burning so my wood is a tiny bit green. It measures 20-23 for the most part with some central parts of the split at 25%. I threw some bio brick in and scrap pine and things took off nicely.

It's great to hear what other people are doing. Cool idea on the wood pellets Jim.
Green wood is a PIA and hopefully you have wood seasoning now for next year and beyond.. Oak takes 2-3 years and there is loads of oak in Mass. Great wood just slow to season..

Ray

Green wood is a PIA

Yeah, I thought I might be OK with what I got...someone split and stacked hickory for 11 months, and I had it for another month. So it's been s/s for about a year, but that's apparently not good enough. We'll be buying wood in the next month for next season. The initial start-up costs of burning suck!

Yes it can be expensive unless you can process your own wood..My firewood guy charges $185.00 a cord C\S\D green wood. Where in Mass. are you located? Hickory is great wood for smoking!!

Ray

Yes it can be expensive unless you can process your own wood..My firewood guy charges $185.00 a cord C\S\D green wood. Where in Mass. are you located? Hickory is great wood for smoking!!

Ray

$185 ain't bad! I unfortunately only really have room for two seasons of wood. So, my plan is to get "seasoned" wood (have a reportedly good local source for $240) and let it season for another year. Hopefully that's sufficient?

I'm in Uxbridge, 'bout an hour up and over 495 from you.

$185 ain't bad! I unfortunately only really have room for two seasons of wood. So, my plan is to get "seasoned" wood (have a reportedly good local source for $240) and let it season for another year. Hopefully that's sufficient?

OK I've been there to Flagship Automation and AC Tech drives.. My wood guy is in Raynham near Rehobeth and will deliver out your way..

Ray

Well, I broke down and ordered the free samples of Super Cedars. I will determine whether to buy them then. I will probably order them so my son and wife can start a fire. I can start one fine with a piece of paper.

I wouldn't pay a dime extra for "Seasoned" wood as that usually means it's been sitting around in rounds, or worse, logs, for a year if that before the seller splits it and delivers it the same week. If you can verify it has been split for at least a year, then maybe I might consider that worth a few $$.

Reactions: raybonz
Personally, I've tried top down and became quite successful with it, and agree that it is the cleanest way I can find to start the stove (smallest amount of smoke from the chimney).

That said, if I want to start a fire quickly I do a modified approach and seldom do a true top down, especially now that I use fire starters.

pen
I've found the same thing (my stoves burn E/W,) so I load big stuff in the bottom/back and starter stuff in the front/top. Like you say, it's a little slower start until the load starts catching but I'm not usually in a big hurry.
I've got some SCs but often just use paper and Pine kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.