Bettles in Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
DENVER - An outbreak of mountain pine beetles in British Columbia is doing more than destroying millions of trees: By 2020, the beetles will have done so much damage that the forest is expected to release more carbon dioxide than it absorbs, according to new research.

The study, led by Werner Kurz of the Canadian Forest Service, estimates that over 21 years trees killed by the beetle outbreak could release 990 megatons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere — roughly equivalent to five years of emissions from Canada's transportation sector.

The outbreak has affected about 33 million acres, or about 51,562 square miles, of lodgepole pines. Bark beetles also have killed huge swaths of pines in the western United States, including about 2,300 square miles of trees in Colorado.

How can someone tell if the wood they are harvesting is infested with bugs that could harm the trees on their own property?
Mike

The campgrounds in the Colorado national parks/forests are asking people not to bring in firewood. I think that they are very concerned about the spread of disease. The pine beetles can either be killed by spraying or a few days at -20 degrees F. Our winters have been a lilltle milder than that, even in the high country. I wouldn't bring possibly infected bark or wood into my backyard. Not with my stately old pines at risk!

Twenty below ! I live in Maryland and cannot remember the temp at -20. If we get them here gypsy moths will look like a cake walk. Thanks for the reply.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.