BEV Pickup Trucks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1671419132331.png

Some good points in here, but I'm not sure any of it is relevant to the post you quoted.
The point is that there are many viewpoints that assume it is easy to charge while traveling - it isn't if you don't have a smart phone that can run apps, a credit card to charge apps to, etc. Yeah, we are posting to hearth.com and we have computers and internet and what not. Not everybody does, and they don't necessarily lack smart phones, credit cards, etc. because they are technologically challenged and/or old. Sometimes they are just economically disadvantaged.

Reactions: sloeffle and Ashful
The point is that there are many viewpoints that assume it is easy to charge while traveling - it isn't if you don't have a smart phone that can run apps, a credit card to charge apps to, etc. Yeah, we are posting to hearth.com and we have computers and internet and what not. Not everybody does, and they don't necessarily lack smart phones, credit cards, etc. because they are technologically challenged and/or old. Sometimes they are just economically disadvantaged.
Oh, definitely good points, but so was the rest of my post that you had snipped there.

How many people that don't use smartphones or banks are going to be buying EVs? It's not like this demographic is lining up a dealerships to buy NEW ICE vehicles. This is an income inequality issue, not a tech savviness issue.

Reactions: Ashful and EbS-P
How many people that don't use smartphones or banks are going to be buying EVs? It's not like this demographic is lining up a dealerships to buy NEW ICE vehicles. This is an income inequality issue, not a tech savviness issue.
Exactly the point I was making back in post #117. And it's not just "EV's" but "new BEV's", as it pertains to this discussion. Auto makers care about maintaining high resale value, but their first priority is those customers buying new cars, especially when it comes to prioritizing the development of any new tech requiring high internal R&D dollars. The economically depressed just don't factor into this conversation.

Reactions: SpaceBus
People that don't use a bank or a leasing organization to buy a car are either self-financing or buying used. This is the same for ICE vehicles as it is for EVs. The prices of EVs are coming down and that will continue. Many people will be buying them for local driving and home charging. This can be done without a cellphone.

Reactions: bholler
A BEV would have been great for my parents in place of their last two vehicles. They no longer did long trips and usually planned trips a day or two in advance to avoid bad road conditions. 200 miles range would be fine Neither one of them used a cell phone but they could have plugged in at the house and been perfectly fine. Probably the biggest limitation with earlier BEVs is the temptation to improve the aerodynamics by tilting back the windshields. The early Volts and Priuses were head bashers, the owners eventually get used to it but someone like me catching a ride would have a tough time avoiding the A pillar. Even my Rav 4 Prime has the same issue, anyone riding in the front passenger seat usually has a tough time getting in it due to laid back A pillar. The Rav 4 is definitely more elderly friendly than a Volt or Prius.

The Rav 4 is definitely more elderly friendly than a Volt or Prius.
As a senior with occasional back issues, I have to agree. However, once I am in the car I still love to drive it. Still, as much as I like our Gen2 Volt, it may get replaced with a taller vehicle eventually.

Do not buy the Tesla Cybertruck….whoever designed it should be or has already been fired. First it’s fugly and second it’s not a practical pickup. I would steer towards the big manufacturers first such as Ford or Chevy/GMC.

Do not buy the Tesla Cybertruck….whoever designed it should be or has already been fired. First it’s fugly and second it’s not a practical pickup. I would steer towards the big manufacturers first such as Ford or Chevy/GMC.
1.6 million pre orders. Say they sell 50% of those. They have probably already sold 3+ straight years of production…. It’s not a trucky truck. It could have its own market segment with little competition. GM trucks continue to score the worst for reliability.

Reactions: Ashful
I didn't realize GM was ranked so low in reliability rankings by CR. They are probably still higher ranked than Tesla though.

I didn't realize GM was ranked so low in reliability rankings by CR. They are probably still higher than Tesla if Tesla would allow their customers to be part of the survey.

I think if you take out software issues and fitment inside and out Tesla is probably average. At some point I do believe they will address and focus on reliability. After they have a solid handle on production issues.

Yeah GM stinks. Dodge isn’t far behind them. You wouldn’t know it down here.

Sandy Munro tore down and older Model 3 and he commented about how bad the panel fitment was. He tore down a newer Model 3 and said that the quality has gotten better. He's still not a fan of the latching design on the Tesla frunk though.

I realize that Hier Elon likes to balk normal trends in the auto industry but if he thinks his product is so great I don't understand why he wouldn't want it to be officially part of the JD Power rankings.

Yep, same here. People around here love their 80k diesel trucks....

Reactions: SpaceBus and EbS-P
Put me down for Cybertruck. All signs [Gigapress delivery and assembly line pictures] indicate this could be the year of CT release, fingers crossed.

While Tesla doesn't advertise, I suspect that they do do focus groups. So I am sure they knew the funky looking cyber truck would sell before they announced it.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful
I think if you take out software issues and fitment inside and out Tesla is probably average. At some point I do believe they will address and focus on reliability. After they have a solid handle on production issues.

Yeah GM stinks. Dodge isn’t far behind them. You wouldn’t know it down here.
Unfortunately I am convinced ALL brands have pretty horrible reliability. I have seen major issues in most of the notoriously "reliable" brands within 5years/12k miles.

It is disgusting me to the point I don't even want to upgrade to something more reliable. My daily driver is 13 years old/130k miles, wife's is 10 years old/278k miles and when I hear people losing transmissions, engines, head gaskets, steering racks, transfer cases, etc on far newer/lower mileage vehicles I question why even bother....

It’s not a trucky truck. It could have its own market segment with little competition.
Agreed. It's closest competition, if a market segment were to be named around them, is probably something like the Chevy Avalanche.
GM trucks continue to score the worst for reliability.
I think if you take out software issues and fitment inside and out Tesla is probably average. At some point I do believe they will address and focus on reliability.
lol... well, yes. And if you "take out" the things causing any of the big-3 points on their quality ratings, they would look better, as well! Surely you meant something other than, "if we ignore their problems, then they don't have as many problems"? ;lol

I agree that the cybertruck will not be for most "real truck" users, but fit well in the Honda Ridge Line, Ford Maverick class.
Just from a functionality perspective, and not looking at any EV from the major manufacturers, I like the Canoo. Would buy it over a cybertruck 10 times out of 10.

Unfortunately I am convinced ALL brands have pretty horrible reliability. I have seen major issues in most of the notoriously "reliable" brands within 5years/12k miles.

It is disgusting me to the point I don't even want to upgrade to something more reliable. My daily driver is 13 years old/130k miles, wife's is 10 years old/278k miles and when I hear people losing transmissions, engines, head gaskets, steering racks, transfer cases, etc on far newer/lower mileage vehicles I question why even bother....
You must be young? I remember when people thought a car was nearly done at 70k miles... and that's within the lifetime (perhaps even the driving-age lifetime) of many members here. Cars are infinitely more reliable today, it's really amazing how well they hold up, given the environment in which they're used and stored.

My last truck was a 2005 Ram 1500, and it had not a single component failure in 12 years. In fact it only had one repair in that entire time, which was self-inflicted, I damaged a rubber CV joint boot while driving over a branch in a field. My present truck is a 2015, purchased in 2017, and it has also had zero component failures. Both are used to pull a trailer at least once per week, sometimes above their maximum tongue weight rating, and both are used to move obscene amounts of firewood for any DIY'er.

So what's so horrible and disgusting about that? You should see the crap your parents and grandparents had to do, to keep their cars running!

You must be young? I remember when people thought a car was nearly done at 70k miles... and that's within the lifetime (perhaps even the driving-age lifetime) of many members here. Cars are infinitely more reliable today, it's really amazing how well they hold up, given the environment in which they're used and stored.

My last truck was a 2005 Ram 1500, and it had not a single component failure in 12 years. In fact it only had one repair in that entire time, which was self-inflicted, I damaged a rubber CV joint boot while driving over a branch in a field. My present truck is a 2015, purchased in 2017, and it has also had zero component failures. Both are used to pull a trailer at least once per week, sometimes above their maximum tongue weight rating, and both are used to move obscene amounts of firewood for any DIY'er.

So what's so horrible and disgusting about that? You should see the crap your parents and grandparents had to do, to keep their cars running!
While young I have owned a fair amount of 70's and 80's vehicles and am familiar with the amount of maintenance associated with them.

Your point is well taken. I believe in general vehicles are more reliable than they were, but there are some inherent flaws that almost every model has that should be addressed. For instance in your (and every other in the segment V8), lifters do collapse. While it's not a crazy percentage, it is certainly an issue. I can't see spending $40k+ on something that might drop a lifter and send metal through the motor.

This is just one example (one that I have had happen on the 277k mile vehicle above and repaired myself). My friend just lost a head gasket in his 100k mile Subaru. Perhaps it's just the nature of things.

Reactions: Ashful and sloeffle
Fathers 2021 Chevy 1500 had to have transmission electrical work. Wife's 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L just had the transfer case replaced because of the control module. Nephew had 3 sensors replaced on his 2022 F-150. Just seems like electrical issues all from all from the pandemic period. All manufacturers are having issues. All were covered under warranty. All 3 dealers those vehicles were repaired at can't keep up with warranty work. I think its just going to be the norm for a few years.

Fathers 2021 Chevy 1500 had to have transmission electrical work. Wife's 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L just had the transfer case replaced because of the control module. Nephew had 3 sensors replaced on his 2022 F-150. Just seems like electrical issues all from all from the pandemic period. All manufacturers are having issues. All were covered under warranty. All 3 dealers those vehicles were repaired at can't keep up with warranty work. I think its just going to be the norm for a few years.
-Sisters Grand Cherokee L has had the transmission plus a list of other things replaced (very low miles)
-Few years back bottom end went out in sister in law's Ford Escape (sub 30k miles)
-Chrysler sub 120k highway miles motor issue, awd system twice, steering rack (4 years old)
-Friends Subaru as stated - 6 years old 105k miles blew a head gasket
-Good chance my Duramax has blown head gasket('s) (ouch) at 96k miles.

To me these aren't just maintenance. If I have to pull a motor on a car just barely out of warranty I would be very unhappy (especially if I didn't have it for many years prior).

Reactions: sloeffle
The subject of the post is BEV trucks. Move the ICE vehicle "they don't build them like they used to" observations to the Ingelnook.

Reactions: Ashful and Shank
Ram 1500 Revolution (BEV) is getting unveiled tomorrow at CES 2023 in Las Vegas at 5:30 p.m. EST

I agree that the cybertruck will not be for most "real truck" users, but fit well in the Honda Ridge Line, Ford Maverick class.
Just from a functionality perspective, and not looking at any EV from the major manufacturers, I like the Canoo. Would buy it over a cybertruck 10 times out of 10.
Funny you mention the Canoo, I sort of like the style on their pickup. They supposedly recently signed a contract with Walmart for their “van” version.

The Tesla cybertruck just is not nice looking IMHO. Don’t get me wrong I do think Tesla cars are nice but the truck not so much. As for pre-orders, there is a cult following for Tesla so good on them for having a market like that as it means sales regardless of issues. The Rivian is nice looking truck to me but the pricepoint is nuts.