Beverage trailers/truck bodies for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Montanalocal

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2014
Helena MT
I have just acquired a beverage truck body for use as a firewood shed. They come as both trailers and as truck bodies. They have vertical sliding doors on both sides. The trailers cost more used than the truck bodies because they usually have good running gear still. The one I got, the white one below, is a dismounted truck body. They are usually not really cheap, as they are all made from aluminum, and thus have recycle value.

While they probably cost more than a homemade woodshed, for those of us that have less energy and/or time, they can make a good quick substitute.

100_1261.JPG Hackney doors.jpeg 100_2876.JPG trailer.jpg

Reactions: NickW and kborndale
Nice looking and great idea for a rural area. In my rural town in a property tax dependent state, I would get tagged for property taxes on it unless it had wheels and then I would need to register it yearly. If it was not registered as a trailer I would also need to meet front and side setback requirements for my lot and get a special exception if I exceeded the maximum number of accessory uses on the property. I suspect in Montana it may be less of an issue ;)

I do think you could increase drying by cutting holes in the center of trailer floor on either side of the rear wall and cut through the rear wall. A 6" shell cutter could really up the air flow in the center of the stacks without impacting the strength of the box. Possibly even consider some covered roof vents along the center of the trailer to increase air flow up through the stacks and out the roof. Then again, my guess is in Montana, your summers are drier so you may not need to airflow/

Nice looking and great idea for a rural area. In my rural town in a property tax dependent state, I would get tagged for property taxes on it unless it had wheels and then I would need to register it yearly. If it was not registered as a trailer I would also need to meet front and side setback requirements for my lot and get a special exception if I exceeded the maximum number of accessory uses on the property. I suspect in Montana it may be less of an issue ;)

I do think you could increase drying by cutting holes in the center of trailer floor on either side of the rear wall and cut through the rear wall. A 6" shell cutter could really up the air flow in the center of the stacks without impacting the strength of the box. Possibly even consider some covered roof vents along the center of the trailer to increase air flow up through the stacks and out the roof. Then again, my guess is in Montana, your summers are drier so you may not need to airflow/
About taxes, I can not conceive of something like this being taxed. I have been a farmer all my life, and I have had all kinds of equipment and objects all around my place, and I have never heard of anything like this being taxed.

As far as drying, nothing will go in this that is not completely dry and ready to burn. I only cut long term dead stuff. I plan to completely seal up most all the holes in the shell with perhaps a few of the upper light fixture holes covered with screening. I want to keep out all the yellowjacket nests.

As Mick Jagger said, "Paint It Black."
Massive drying from solar heat.
Looks like a very good woodshed.

About taxes, I can not conceive of something like this being taxed. I have been a farmer all my life, and I have had all kinds of equipment and objects all around my place, and I have never heard of anything like this being taxed.

As far as drying, nothing will go in this that is not completely dry and ready to burn. I only cut long term dead stuff. I plan to completely seal up most all the holes in the shell with perhaps a few of the upper light fixture holes covered with screening. I want to keep out all the yellowjacket nests.

Big difference between what will get taxed in rural farmland compared to the city and suburbs.

Does it have openings either side?
Yes, it has openings down both sides, and there is a wall down the center, so each chamber is 4 ft. deep.

Reactions: TomMcDonald

That is because you're still in part of the real world (Montana) and not a blue state. Hell, my state taxed the rain (I chit you not) until a red Gov came in and repealed it. Now we a blue Gov so who knows now.