Bi-Metal Thermostat...Need Help Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf5

Nov 22, 2008
Central Upstate New York
I have a shennandoah R-65 woodstove. I haven't used it in ten years and we have put it back in. Love the heat it puts out. Can we take out the bi-metal thermostat and somehow put in a regular manual damper? For the air intake on the front of the stove. If so explain how. Thanks so much. OK so now I'm thinking...Can't I just take out the bi-metal business and put in a simple metal strip about the same size so that I can still use the knob for adjusting the intake flap?

This has been a helpful site for many things and I feel that I have learned a few things, but I still haven't had my questions answered. Maybe nobody knows how to answer them or maybe I'm not making myself clear. I will kep trying.

Why would you want to take it out? Is it not working, maybe you can find a replacement? I've thought about rigging one up to my stove.

It shuts down and stays to often in the creosote range. Have to keep on it to keep the temp up. How would I know if it wasn't working properly?

Not sure. Can you take it apart and see if it's broke? After 10 years it may just be worn out. I know there are a couple web sites for used stove parts that may be able to help you out. They have been mentioned here quite a few times but I can't remember who they were. Woodland direct? Maybe, don't know, try a search or PM Webmaster or BeGreen.

Is this what you have....??:

http://sierraproductsinc.net/pages/shenandoah.htm

The Shenandoah R-65 Wood/Coal stove from Sierra Products? If not, then nevermind. If so, then here's a link to get a manual and perhaps a place to ask questions and maybe even get parts. Dunno, I'm not familiar with the particular model, but I did have a little Sierra woodstove in a weekend house in Virginia. Good luck! Rick

Maybe it might just be worn out. It dates back to 1980. We didn't buy it then we bought it from a private person in maybe 1992 and used it until about 1999. Now we have put her back in place. I can get replacement parts thru Shennandoah. Well it is thru Sierra Products Inc. Had to do some searching to find that. Thanks

exactly what I have. Great people to work with. Couldn't find the cover or the knob and I had to contact them to replace those parts I know I can get the Bi-metal thru them as well I just wasn't sure that I wanted to. Just wondered if a manual intake would be better. If it is worn out maybe I should really think about replacing it. It isn't broken.

I always liked my simple little Sierra side-loader. If your appliance works perfectly well when it's all working properly, and you're happy with it, and you've got good factory support, then why re-design it? Just maintain it. Rick

There you go, call them and ask what they think. Sounds to me that it's probably worn out. If a replacement doesn't cost much I'd go ahead and get one.

Thanks , Thats probably what I might just do. I guess I should try that road than do things to it that I might regret. Have a great Thanksgiving. Donna

dkf5 said:
Can't I just take out the bi-metal business and put in a simple metal strip about the same size so that I can still use the knob for adjusting the intake flap?

Modifying a stove like that would nullify it's CSA/UL safety approval. If a fire investigator or insurance adjuster is sifting through the ashes of what used to be your house and they somehow figure out what happened, it could jeopardize your insurance claim.
Not to say this would necessarily happen, but why take a chance. Insurance companies do everything in their power to AVOID paying out insurance claims.

Hope this helps. ;-)

dkf5 said:
It shuts down and stays to often in the creosote range. Have to keep on it to keep the temp up. How would I know if it wasn't working properly?

Sounds like it needs a little fix'n first, but you should have a decent range on the dial before it closes. However, for keeping the burning temps, I control that with the flue damper first [though I seldom have much reason to control it further so leave the inlet dial pretty high]; after getting it to perhaps 500flue I close it to horizontal, and read another hear note half closed treated them well. I believe the same person noted they did re-configure that bi-metal, though as posted just a bit earlier, if you can make it work with factory parts that's one less excuse for the insurance company if something did go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.