big hickory=total nightmare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
man is this stuff tuff to split....its really not as stringy as i figured its just darn tough though....i have two wedges stuck in a big round right now...guess im gonna be noodling these rounds...didnt wanna do this as its in my yard...a mess it will make....

man is this stuff tuff to split....its really not as stringy as i figured its just darn tough though....i have two wedges stuck in a big round right now...guess im gonna be noodling these rounds...didnt wanna do this as its in my yard...a mess it will make....
Tell the wife to think of the noodles as mulch . ;-)

Reactions: Realstone
they make fantastic firestarter ! i keep them in big paper bags in the shed.

Reactions: Realstone
+1. Hickory is a tough wood.
Gonna be a good addition to the wood stacks too. High BTU wood.

What are you doing splitting wood in this heat anyway ?
Smoking noodles ;)

We have faith in you steel, git - r- done.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
i tried the slab thing off the edges...to no avail...the mall bounces off the big rounds...as far as super big stuff i have about a dozen left....noodling is my only option..other than renting a splitter which i would do if i had bunches to do.....i have split about 3 cord in the last week...so not gonna rent one for the last dozen big chunks..ill get-rdone..

Save those noodles, pack em in a box and use that as kindling. Best kindling you'll ever find! Starts right up with a flint and steel.

Reactions: woodsmaster

I created a designated "wood splitting/cutting" area in my backyard, and I like to noodle every now and then on the tough stuff because I spread around the noodles and sawdust around my working area. I like to keep a 2-3 inch deep layer of noodles spread around a 10 foot area or so, it keeps it from getting muddy in my working area!

Reactions: Ashful
I know what you mean, I got my finger stuck inside a round I was splitting (log splitter) and had to use a hatchet to open the round. My finger tip still hurts and that was 7 months ago.

fv

I created a designated "wood splitting/cutting" area in my backyard, and I like to noodle every now and then on the tough stuff because I spread around the noodles and sawdust around my working area. I like to keep a 2-3 inch deep layer of noodles spread around a 10 foot area or so, it keeps it from getting muddy in my working area!

Like this,'eh? Over the past several months I've dumped 9-10 bushels of shavings/bark pieces over my milling/processing area & another short strip of backyard.Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper,Black Walnut,Honey Locust & Black Cherry here.Nice thing is this is 100% shaded along east fence w/3 large Walnuts & 1 medium scrubby American Elm (would like to remove it soon though),1 large Mulberry at north edge,1 huge Mulberry in SE corner.Makes it tolerable on these scorching afternoons.Underneath the shavings are some 6 tons of 1 1/2" river rock spread out 20 yrs ago,very little of that is visible now,the shavings/bark are more comfortable to walk on.I spread out more 2 -3 times monthly as they accumulate.

Attachments

• PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 135
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
I split on a tarp. Just fold the tarp up at the end and pour it into a bag.

When splitting with wedges, I like to have 3 on hand. If you get stuck, stick one more wedge right next to one that is stuck. That will force it apart. Still, using hydraulics is very nice.

Man its scary on the splitter! You start to cover your face grab the helmet with face sheild down and chaps on and reach as far as you can and pull the leaver. One things for sure the Gun is going to go OFF!:eek:

I cover something other than my face. YOUCH!

fv

Reactions: smokinj and Thistle
Bradford Pear splits like fireworks. Never saw wood fly like that. Did I time warp or something? It is July, right? Wood processing in July? Nutty I tell ya.

Hickory is well worth the effort. I have my eye on a shagbark that will likely be joining my collection after the soy beans are harvested.

Reactions: ScotO
well im about half way thru the big hickory now....ive always liked hickory ..ive also been selective how big of hickory i work on...didnt have a choice this time..it fell in my front yard during the storm..

How big of a hick round can your task force handle? Might have a line on one here. Do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.