Big house, cold climate, 6" x 25' Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a work in progress plywood shack with a stove in the middle of it as well. With the radiant distribution system already in place, an efficient wood boiler is a no brainer and a perfect compliment to the stove you already have. Do some reading in the boiler room as there are many, myself included, in the same position as you asking similar questions.

A second stove (such as a BK King) would get the job done, but I think a big wood boiler and lots of storage is the way to go. But you're talking lots of $$$... Adding a BKK would probably make your house much more comfortable, and the BKK will burn a lot longer than your 30, plus be far less fussing with the stove (the thermostat is handy!)

Just echoing here . . .

4,500 square feet is a lot of space to ask a woodstove to heat . . . me, I would go with a high efficiency wood boiler in a heartbeat . . . sure, it will cost more than a woodstove up front (and a lot more if you do not have the house already plumbed for baseboard or radiant floor heat - you might have mentioned this, but I can't remember) but the benefit of a high efficiency wood boiler would be a) a more "equal" heat throughout the whole building, b) ease of use for the gals in your life and c) if you go the high efficiency route it may require less wood than adding a second or third woodstove (and getting cancer ;) . . . and here I thought you only got cancer from burning pine ;). )

FYI . . . I would keep the woodstove right where it is though . . . a) back up heat and b) for cooking that moose stew and c) to look at the pretty flames . . . I might not always have a fire going in it, but I would most definitely keep it.

There were no negative comments about the 8" stove outlet drawing into the 6" pipe.

For now, we are planning on a BlazeKing/King Classic (8" outlet into 6" pipe) and we will also add a system for heating water and pumping it to the DHW, even if the amount of hot water is low. If there is a puffing problem, I may power vent or power draft the chimney.

For the future, a gassification boiler with a large water storage may be my next summer project.

About the combustion back-drafting with multiple fuel burning appliances, my neighbor Bev (not her real name) besides having three solid fuel appliances burning (some) at the same time; also had a natural gas water heater and a natural gas furnace, both with their outside air intake blocked. My comments about her health were only intended to say that she did not heed what may have been good advice, or as a Nun who taught me in grade school used to say: "A word to the wise is sufficient".
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.