big leaf maple - worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
a friend of mine said she has some big leaf maple that's been sitting out (cut into rounds) for the past year+. pics she sent look okay to me.

what do you think? punky or worth it? some big pieces in there.
download_20161117_134306.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from the picture alone but it doesn't look too bad to me. If it were me I'd split a round to see how it looks inside. Shame to let all that go to waste.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I doubt it is dry enough to burn well. The wood looks fine to me otherwise

Just remember to bring a sledge & wedge with you, those suckers look heavy.. unless you have a trailer you can roll them up on.

a friend of mine said she has some big leaf maple that's been sitting out (cut into rounds) for the past year+. pics she sent look okay to me.

what do you think? punky or worth it? some big pieces in there.View attachment 188274
Heck ya. Split it and stack it for next year if it's not ready right now.

Get after it! Looks like Norway Maple to me, but I don't know if you have it out there on the left coast. Might just look that way because I got four truckloads off the stuff the other day and it's still floating by in my dreams.. :)

Get after it! Looks like Norway Maple to me, but I don't know if you have it out there on the left coast. Might just look that way because I got four truckloads of the stuff the other day and it's still floating by in my dreams.. :)

Hell yeah. Split those suckers!

Get it. Most of it should split easy.

If it is a close drive, the wood is hard when split definitely take it free is free. It all gives off heat.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Use a hand truck to get them into your trailer. It's much easier than trying to roll them up into the trailer. Work smart and there will be less chances of injury.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We've burned a lot of big leaf maple. It's a decent firewood for this area. The wood will probably be soggy from sitting on the ground. Split it up, stack on pallets and top cover it for next year's burning. I did this about 9 yrs ago with b.l. maple that had been sitting in a marshy area. It was really soggy but by next heating season it dried out well and burned great.

Reactions: Highbeam and Jeffm1
If it was in good shape when cut a year ago, it will be fine. It can take a while to season, though, so split and stack it right away under good cover with good circulation. It may or may not be dry enough for next year, so check it with a moisture meter before burning. My experience with it is that it dries slowly, but under good cover, you have a good chance for next year. If it's rotted at all, you'll know it.

Ding! (I just hadda litebulb moment)

Yes, grab that if you can. I was recently given two, yes two red oaks bucked to that size but can't load them
due to the weight. Even with my big kid we couldn't get more than the smallest chunks onto the truck.
That's the lightbulb moment. Tow the splitter to the site and bust it up. Too heavy to lift, too nice to pass up.
It's what I'm doing anyhoo. (high fiving myself)

Ding! (I just hadda litebulb moment)

Yes, grab that if you can. I was recently given two, yes two red oaks bucked to that size but can't load them
due to the weight. Even with my big kid we couldn't get more than the smallest chunks onto the truck.
That's the lightbulb moment. Tow the splitter to the site and bust it up. Too heavy to lift, too nice to pass up.
It's what I'm doing anyhoo. (high fiving myself)

Just bring your saw and cut the rounds in half, quarters, or even sixths by noodling. That is, stand the round up on the bark side and cut the round by putting the saw into the bark parallel to the stem. Essentially splitting the rounds with your saw. Way easier and faster than hauling a splitter.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Luckily it's only a few miles over as I don't have a saw.
Sounds crazy for a stover but mine broke and it doesn't
need replaced. I scrounge what will fit in our stove.
Gotta go with plan A. Great idea tho. I can bring the wedge n' sledge too if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.