Big tree going down today (137') WITH VIDEO AND PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Getting a 110' Cottonwood cut down today. Also a nice Shag bark Hickory. Gonna keep the cotton wood since I am just starting out and need to get my other wood seasoned. I will mix it in with the other hardwood I have ready to go for 2010-11.

Get some pic's?

Oh yeah!

FireAnt said:

nice to get a video of that monster falling down...(from a safe distance of course)

Good luck with the cottonwood. When I was first starting out, I cut one like you describe. I busted ass on that thing for a couple weeks. Was not pleasant to split. But I got it done. Stacked and ready for winter...I trhink I burned the entire tree in a weekend...DOH.

RAY_PA said:
Good luck with the cottonwood. When I was first starting out, I cut one like you describe. I busted ass on that thing for a couple weeks. Was not pleasant to split. But I got it done. Stacked and ready for winter...I trhink I burned the entire tree in a weekend...DOH.
Now that's funny, and a lot of truth also.

Ok tree is down I will post pics soon. I need to figure out video though. Total height 137'.

Here is the video. The Shag bark in view was cut down next. I got a better angle of the drop but can't get it off my camera yet. My dad got this angle. Just want to also give a plug for "Passion for Trees" out of Southington CT. Top notch work!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM73eADYYAU

^I just love it when a tree smashes real powerfully into the ground like that.

"KAPOW...and that's all she wrote."

My Dad use to say that but I never knew what it meant. :roll:

Nice, sweet landing zone aswell.

He dropped it exactly where he said. If you notice there is a blue rope tied to the hickory. There was another tied to a tree to left of the hickory. He said he has cut some real big trees but this ranks waaaay up there. He said a tree like this comes by once every 5-10 years. He used a 660/32" bar and a jack. You can see the jack to the left on the ground. I had to model the saw......I'm a major saw dork

Attachments

• 660a.jpg
    660a.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 511
Some more pics. They do no justice to the size. My boot is an 11.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 484
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 465
  • longview.jpg
    longview.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 464
They never look as big when taking pic's but it is a monster for sure

The amazing part was how he threw this little weighted bag with a string tied to it, up into the limbs right were he wanted the rope to go over like throwing darts. About 70 ft up...

FireAnt said:
The amazing part was how he threw this little weighted bag with a string tied to it, up into the limbs right were he wanted the rope to go over like throwing darts. About 70 ft up...

he use the sling shot? I have a wench mounted to my trailer if I can get 30 degrees (on the rope) the wench will drive a needle in the ground.

Nope by hand. couple spins and a launch

FireAnt said:
Nope by hand. couple spins and a launch

then 70ft is very impressive 15-20 the best I could pull off like that.

The breeze was huge.

That takes a bit of practice but some guys are really good at it.....and then there are guys like me that need more and more practice.

Glad you got it down okay. Let the fun begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.