Big wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DougH

Oct 8, 2023
Tipton, IN
Hey Everyone, This is my first post so I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I could find it. =)

I want the biggest firebox I can find in a free standing wood stove and had settled on the Blaze King 40. Only to find out that it takes an 8" flue. Mine is only 6". Since it's stainless and double walled and insulated with a custom made cap on top of our old chimney, I don't really want to replace all that as well.
Any suggestions that would save some research time?

THANKS!

Last edited:
Tell us more about what's being heated and the goal. Do you want a catalytic stove or is that not important? What is the goal, lots of heat or maximum burn time at low output?
The Drolet Myriad or Legend have a big firebox or the Osburn 3500.

Reactions: DougH and Highbeam
Low 3 cf range is all you’ll find. Would a wood furnace work?

Reactions: DougH
The only similar size stove I know that will take a 6" flue is the JA Roby Ultimate, but it won't have nearly the burn times of a BK40.

This is the space we are primarily heating. about a 1400 sq ft but we are also blowing heat to the rest of the house with fans. we have electric minisplit systems but wood heat is still much cheaper and feels warmer. The stove we have now is small enough that we are lucky if it is still going in the morning even at the lowest airflow setting. Looking for something so I don't have to restart it each morning or when I get home from work.

Currently a freestanding wood stove in an alcove that used to be a fireplace. I think it's 2.4 cubic feet.

The flue is 6in double wall, insulated stainless going straight up through the old 12x18 tile fireplace flue. approx 25 ft high.
heating area.jpg fireplace.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll just throw out the Jotul f55 if you want a non cat stove, takes a 6" pipe.
A few guys here have had long burn times and good performance with the smaller f45.

It looks like a convective stove in the ~3 cu ft range will do the trick. It will need a blower to assist with moving the heat. A fan on the floor at the opening between the Den and Kitchen, pointed toward the stove will help improve circulation. This can be a 12" table fan or a box fan running on low speed.

The Jotul F55, Lopi Liberty, PE Summit, above mentioned Drolets, Quad 5700, Osburn 3500, etc. are all stoves that will work. With good dry firewood these stoves will provide 12 reload time during milder weather and 8 hr reload time in very cold weather.

I run a 20" cheap box fan on the floor pointed at an angle to my stove in fireplace set up. Works great, moves a bunch of heat around.

It looks like a convective stove in the ~3 cu ft range will do the trick.
Exactly. Masonry surround = convective stoves only, unless all masonry is interior to house!

However, a 3 cubic foot non-cat might have more horsepower than is desired for a space that small. I'm running one of my BK 30's in a space roughly the size of yours, and it's pretty easy to overheat that space, despite the super-low burn rate capability of the BK. I believe the 30 firebox is something like 2.85 cubic feet.

With 25' of all vertical, all class A, right onto the stove like that I bet that chimney could suck a seagull off of a landfill. Part of your short burntimes and low heat issues may be due to overdrafting. You would be wise to check your draft and perhaps control it with a key damper to prevent the chimney from hoovering all your heat up the stack.

Go to the EPA approved stove list and you can sort the list by firebox volume. Then you can see the list of the largest available stoves. Cross off those silly ones that still use 8" chimney and see what's left.

Good point. Inserting a damper section above the stove would likely help.

Reactions: DougH and EbS-P
i would go big drolet.you don't seem to care about looks i.e bk king.ugliest iv'e ever seen lol.sorry bkvp
LOL it didn't used to look like that. Long story with a "Professionally" installed insert that caught fire due to a faulty install.
It's on my list to fix it. But you are right. Ugliest ever. LOL

Ill throw the Englander 32 NC on the list as well. Big firebox 3.5 cuft I believe and will heat that space no problem. I personally use it to heat my 1600 sqft house

Reactions: Highbeam and DougH
Yes, thanks. I should have included the 32-NC.

The cap needs attention before it can no longer protect. I'd treat that chimney cap with a rust convertor and then a coat of rust preventing paint.

The cap needs attention before it can no longer protect. I'd treat that chimney cap with a rust convertor and then a coat of rust preventing paint.
we are just starting to seal the whole outside of it. furring strips, osb, house wrap, then siding. along with a new cap. Been tight on funds but getting it done as we can. =) the new cap will be painted and sealed too.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I've never been on a forum for anything, that was this much help this quick. Thanks!

I thought you were the keymaster?
Nope, that's webfish. He drops by with some peanuts and crackerjacks in the morning. I just have a web janitor degree.

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful
The other reason to think about NOT putting a King in that space is access to controls. The bypass, fan rheostat and thermostat are all on the right hand side. The Princess would certainly provide great burn times, and it is not as wide. It is also a 6" flue. You may wish to make certain the pipe is in good shape and if it's single wall inside, consider double wall. The 25C Tax Credit will apply to qualifying stoves and help cover the costs of some upgrades to the chimney (if needed).

The others have already suggested several others options that might work as well.

BKVP