BigBox stores going bonkers on prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Talegas

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2016
Metrowest MA
Anyone noticed that stores like Lowes are way off on their prices for pellets this time around?

I went to one over the weekend, and they had two brands: Maine Woods at $250 and Green Team at $300 per ton.

I mean, really? a very expensive crap of a pellet and a normal (for last year's standard) price per bag on arguable crappy pellet?

what is going on here?

TSC still carries the Maine Woods for 250, so that is a match i guess.

It's called supply and demand. I bought mine in the spring for 220 a ton delivered from a private dealer. I'll keep doing that unless his prices go out of sight.

Prices as of now are the same as last year around here.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that $279 is the new $259 in some of the big box stores. Pretty much expected.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that $279 is the new $259 in some of the big box stores. Pretty much expected.
Yep. Can see Stove Chows ( big HD seller) going for 279. Not worth it. Bought mine this past April at early buy prices. All Softies.

Reactions: jackhammer
At these prices and with the drop in heating oil I may just use the boiler-not worth using pellets as main source this season.

Reactions: jerrieric
At these prices and with the drop in heating oil I may just use the boiler-not worth using pellets as main source this season.
in our case, to keep the house warm at say72- 73 degrees, if we used the oil regardless of price, the furnace would drink oil like a drunken sailor..lol we would keep it at 67 degrees and wear sweaters or similar.
with pellet heat, we can keep the downstairs a constant 73-74.... our house is not well insulated.. circa 1924..
sooooooooo, if pellets and oil came out to be the same cost for the season, we would still burn pellets and be much warmer..
the oil furnace is a constant on/off/heat up/cool down, rinse, lather, repeat...
with the harman stove it's a steady heat being distributed all the time depending on what mode we are burning in..
[this scenario is after shoulder season when the days and nights stay constant cold and we burn steady 24/7.
been burning now about 6 seasons and took couple seasons to find the right balance and right pellets..
burn strictly Softwoods...
note: do burn oil at night the few times when we hit a polar vortex with wind and temps in the low teens or below as we don't need any frozen pipes in the basement where our furnace lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake86
All our local suppliers switched over to a new brand and increased the price by a $1 per bag now softwood pellets are the same price as the hardwood.. Since i work at a truck shop im going to talk to one of our regulars and see if he will pick up a few pallets at the plant on his way...

with the harman stove it's a steady heat being distributed all the time depending on what mode we are burning in..
[this scenario is after shoulder season when the days and nights stay constant cold and we burn steady 24/7.
been burning now about 6 seasons and took couple seasons to find the right balance and right pellets..

Sounds VERY familiar!!
;)

Dan

Everyone knew prices where going to jump end of September.

Sure, like all years there has been "rumors" of price hiking. In my OP, i am pointing out that normally is the same price for either of the brand of bags big box stores sell. In this case, one price stayed the same (~250 per ton) while the other one had the ~50 hike.

Sure, like all years there has been "rumors" of price hiking. In my OP, i am pointing out that normally is the same price for either of the brand of bags big box stores sell. In this case, one price stayed the same (~250 per ton) while the other one had the ~50 hike.
Home depot here selling the stove chows as they do every year at the same price for past 4-5 yrs..259.00 ton.

Gotta keep them honest. I can heat 4 ways here. That said, I scored Somersets for $177.50 per ton. I REFUSE TO PAY MORE THAN $200 PER TON for good pellets. Supply and demand my ass. You North Eastern folks and such are lining politicians pockets. Local lying types.

HD around here is selling 6+ tons at 219 and the lower ton price is either 249 or 259. That was as of yesterday and are FSU's. TSC is still selling MWPs for the same price as last year too. Only place I see raising prices is Aubuchons (which carries GS and the new Okie SWs). Course I haven't hit a L*wes for a couple months, nor have I hit any other places that sell pellets because I don't need to.

HD around here is selling 6+ tons at 219 and the lower ton price is either 249 or 259. That was as of yesterday and are FSU's. TSC is still selling MWPs for the same price as last year too. Only place I see raising prices is Aubuchons (which carries GS and the new Okie SWs). Course I haven't hit a L*wes for a couple months, nor have I hit any other places that sell pellets because I don't need to.
I just got 6 pallets of Greene Supreme from HD at $219 plus $79 for the delivery. So far so good in terms of heat output, so looks like a good pellet at a good price.

Reactions: bogieb
I saw 249 pricing for HD pellets.. did not see what brand because I am already stocked. Prebought through woodpellets.com this year because the local guy went nuts with the Northern Luazon pellet prices this year. Got Cleanfire pacifics for the same price, delivered with a 3 month hold. They arrived this week.

So I was at HD again yesterday and made a point to pay attention - $249/ton not 259.

HD $249 here too. The bag price went up this year a little bit, almost $.30 a bag more.. TSC same as last year. But Aubuchon Hardware wants $7.29 a bag for Green Supreme lol ! Too bad they're only 1/3 mile from my house.

Last edited:
Then really depends on the store. Lowes as I already mentioned selling the "greene team" at 299, while MWP ones at 249 (by ton). Then i went to HD, and (i think they dont now) one of the girls in the cash register told me they only sell by ton (for a better price) "a white wrapped and a black wrapped" brand .. the white "generic" while the black i was able to see they were "Fireside Ultra" pellets which according to GTIN, are made by "Energex Pellet Fuel, Inc " .. They do sell by the bag (no discount per ton) the green supreme (lignetics) and the fireside ultra. WTF is going on? I thought Energex pellets were actually rather good.. should i try a ton of those with the so called discount HD has?

Fireside Ultra are a decent hot pellet generally speaking, there will be ample ash content but not as bad as some box store options. Two years ago I ran those all winter, they gave good heat.

Energex is a big producer of their own and third party names. Within their own line they have soft wood, hard wood and what they call Gold which is probably a blend. The Firesides I got came out of Canada as I recall, but that's out here in the east, somewhere else someone else may bag them up. There are only so many pellet plants and at the rate they have fires or bad weather shuts down a location, then gears shift at times. What was great last year might be crap this year in the third party names or gone all together, made by Energex one year, Main Woods next etc ( no implications on quality there just sayin). TSC is good for this, last year their pellets were dark in color this year they are almost blonde and burning nice I might add. Again, here in the east.

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray
Couldn't agree more. I was in Lowes yesterday and was shocked by how much they are charging for pellets. Even my local Ace Hardware is asking $7.20 a bag. I'm using LG Pellets here in Vermont and paying $5.60 a Bag or $280 a ton. This my first year with a pellet stove so it's interesting to see the wide swing of prices.

I don't burn pellets but we have a Rural King not too far away and they sell them for $200/ton. Looks like the reviews are a love/hate relationship LOL.