Biomass products versus cordword

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaggymatt

Oct 31, 2007
South Central PA
Searched for this, but can't really find an answer...

How much correlation is there to a ton of biomass products to a cord of hardwood? Biomass is about $275/ton while a cord of oak is around $125-150/cord in my area. Cordwood storage isn't an issue for me. Last year, I burned about 5 cords, heating the entire house on wood for the most part. I have 3 cords of wood already, and am contemplating trying out a biomass product. Question is, does 1 ton equate out to 1 cord of wood or what? I realize you get longer burn times with the biomass offerings, so I would think it would go further than a cord.

Granted the biomass would be great as I could throw it in my basement, and not have to go outside as often!

Status
Not open for further replies.