bixby maxfire low heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cozmik

Oct 24, 2016
bethlehem
hello been a member of this and I burn corn forum for a number of years.I had this Bixby maxfire for about 10 years now and have ups and downs with the stove.As of now the stove starts and runs but it will only push out about 100 degrees.Ive tried playing with both control knobs and this is as hot it will get.So I'm wondering if the burn pot is not getting enough air or is it another issue.Thanks.

hello been a member of this and I burn corn forum for a number of years.I had this Bixby maxfire for about 10 years now and have ups and downs with the stove.As of now the stove starts and runs but it will only push out about 100 degrees.Ive tried playing with both control knobs and this is as hot it will get.So I'm wondering if the burn pot is not getting enough air or is it another issue.Thanks.

What's your flame pattern look like? The lower burnnpot on these things have a bunch of little holes and these will plug over time, especially if burnning corn. A Bobby pin works perfect to clean these or a small drill bit. Of course there is also the heat exchanger tubes which need regular cleaning. On my bixby I burn a 50 50 blend or just straight pellets. Feed rate is on highest setting and air setting is rarely above 0. Mine will get to where you can't hold your hand on the top or sides it so hot. Good luck

What's your flame pattern look like? The lower burnnpot on these things have a bunch of little holes and these will plug over time, especially if burnning corn. A Bobby pin works perfect to clean these or a small drill bit. Of course there is also the heat exchanger tubes which need regular cleaning. On my bixby I burn a 50 50 blend or just straight pellets. Feed rate is on highest setting and air setting is rarely above 0. Mine will get to where you can't hold your hand on the top or sides it so hot. Good luck
The flame pattern varies depending on the settings.I cleaned the burn pot and heat exchanger tubes.the air output is warm but not hot.sounds like yours is well above 100 degrees thanks for your post.

check venting for rotten 3 inch, also feed wheel seal and gasket under plate
hi blume do you mean the silicone gasket with the metal plate and 2 spring bolts?By the way the metal ignitors you sold me still work after so many years.Thank you.

Looks like a fuel issue to me. Have you take wheel guard off and remove 4 screws that hold the wheel in position and remove wheel clean all fines and dust out of hopper then replace wheel 4 screws the protective shield over the wheel. I have talked with people who owned the stove for 5 years and they never cleaned in back of the wheel. Gradually the stove performance got lower and lower. Pellets usually have more fines and cause more problems then corn.

As a matter of fact I have cleaned behind the feeder wheel several times and you are right it is very dirty.I'm wondering if it's something that has to do with an air issue.Possibly a leak somewhere or exhaust pipe.

As a matter of fact I have cleaned behind the feeder wheel several times and you are right it is very dirty.I'm wondering if it's something that has to do with an air issue.Possibly a leak somewhere or exhaust pipe.
Are you using Bixby pipe in a pipe configuration? Burning corn or pellets? how long is your exhaust system? If you are using pipe in a pipe remove the air filter in the back and using a screw driver loosen hose clamp om that black hose and pull the hose from that exh box. See if there is any soot in it. If you see soot you have a leak in your exh system. or maybe you get a wind that is swirling around that fancy endcap Bixby was selling for 200.00 and the wind blows the exh right back into the intake area. Check the flame during windy conditions and if the flame is erratic That may be your problem.
Do you burn at lower heat levels a lot? that could cause solids to build up in a pipe causing a restriction. Ten years maybe that magnetic speed sensor is getting week and not giving you a full speed on the exh fan. Check the exh system because 10 years is a long time for that.

I have 2 Bixby 90 degree elbows joined together with a straight snap on black pipe approximately 3 ft long 5 inches round with galvanized 3 inch round pipe inside black pipe. No terminal end cap.Blume explained how to hook up.Your suggestion on black rubber hose make sense as there was soot inside before.I will say that the feeder wheel gasket was loose and by tightening down am able to raise heat level flame a little better. Thank you.

I have 2 Bixby 90 degree elbows joined together with a straight snap on black pipe approximately 3 ft long 5 inches round with galvanized 3 inch round pipe inside black pipe. No terminal end cap.Blume explained how to hook up.Your suggestion on black rubber hose make sense as there was soot inside before.I will say that the feeder wheel gasket was loose and by tightening down am able to raise heat level flame a little better. Thank you.
If you are burning corn galvanized pipe won't last very long. We are advising you to replace the floor plate gasket which is the one right below your two floor plates. Air is leaking some place and that is the logical place. You need the air to be pushing up through the holes under the pot to create a hot fire. Also check the gasket around the opening for the ash bucket. Replace it if it feels stiff and crumbly.

If you are burning corn galvanized pipe won't last very long. We are advising you to replace the floor plate gasket which is the one right below your two floor plates. Air is leaking some place and that is the logical place. You need the air to be pushing up through the holes under the pot to create a hot fire. Also check the gasket around the opening for the ash bucket. Replace it if it feels stiff and crumbly.

I replaced floor plate gasket a long time ago so that makes sense. Is that the one 1/4inch wide and flat?I'm also looking into the black rubber hose and exhaust pipe. Using hardwood pellets for fuel.

I replaced floor plate gasket a long time ago so that makes sense. Is that the one 1/4inch wide and flat?I'm also looking into the black rubber hose and exhaust pipe. Using hardwood pellets for fuel.
Soot in the black rubber hose tells you have a exh leak. I would check under the deck plates to make sure you don't have a pellet under them. They have to be flat and not leak air.

Soot in the black rubber hose tells you have a exh leak. I would check under the deck plates to make sure you don't have a pellet under them. They have to be flat and not leak air.
sorry for not getting back sooner.I cleaned stove and also vacuumed black rubber hose and there was soot in it.checked plate gasket and looked ok.got the stove running and temperature is at about 120 degrees.settings are exhaust fan +2 1/2 -feed rate 0.checked ash pan gasket and it also looks alright.do you feel I still need to relace gaskets?I was also thinking of redoing my pipe connections all over again.let me know what you think.thanks.

sorry for not getting back sooner.I cleaned stove and also vacuumed black rubber hose and there was soot in it.checked plate gasket and looked ok.got the stove running and temperature is at about 120 degrees.settings are exhaust fan +2 1/2 -feed rate 0.checked ash pan gasket and it also looks alright.do you feel I still need to relace gaskets?I was also thinking of redoing my pipe connections all over again.let me know what you think.thanks.

Without looking at it I can only suggest reasons why you are having problems . If you are seeing soot in that black hose that means you have exhaust getting into the fresh air intake system. I am guessing you have a exh leak someplace. If the wind swirls around the side of the house it can effect where the exh goes or possibly you may have a leak in the pipes.
I would also suggest changing your settings. Normally I start out with exh fan straight up or 1;00pm position and then work with the fuel rate to get a good flame. This is with a 3 foot straight out the back Bixby exh. If you have a basement install and several elbows or piped into a chimney it maybe different.

Without looking at it I can only suggest reasons why you are having problems . If you are seeing soot in that black hose that means you have exhaust getting into the fresh air intake system. I am guessing you have a exh leak someplace. If the wind swirls around the side of the house it can effect where the exh goes or possibly you may have a leak in the pipes.
I would also suggest changing your settings. Normally I start out with exh fan straight up or 1;00pm position and then work with the fuel rate to get a good flame. This is with a 3 foot straight out the back Bixby exh. If you have a basement install and several elbows or piped into a chimney it maybe different.
I am wondering if it's possible to use 5inch double wall fuel pipe or 5inch black pipe with 3inch inner pipe for configuring exhaust system.

You can use 3 inch pellet pipe for the exh and then you can use inside air or simply remove the flex black hose from the metal box and push it out the hole under the exh system. There is a 3 inch removable cover so remove it and shove that black hose into the hole and pull it out about a inch or so. then you can buy a cheap PVC sleeve that will fit in that black hose and clamp the hose over the sleeve. Next measure inside the sleeve and determine the diameter needed to fit tight and use that size of pvc to go outside for fresh air. There is another way also but this is the easiest way.
Bixbys are made in such a way you don't have to worry about fire from fresh air intake like many other stoves are. I never have liked that pipe in a pipe system Bixby uses because it has a tendency to cool off the exh to the point you get a lot of soot build up inside the pipe. Its OK if you have a single 3 foot piece out the wall but longer then that I would suggest using the regular 3 inch pellet pipe made for pellet stoves.

You can use 3 inch pellet pipe for the exh and then you can use inside air or simply remove the flex black hose from the metal box and push it out the hole under the exh system. There is a 3 inch removable cover so remove it and shove that black hose into the hole and pull it out about a inch or so. then you can buy a cheap PVC sleeve that will fit in that black hose and clamp the hose over the sleeve. Next measure inside the sleeve and determine the diameter needed to fit tight and use that size of pvc to go outside for fresh air. There is another way also but this is the easiest way.
Bixbys are made in such a way you don't have to worry about fire from fresh air intake like many other stoves are. I never have liked that pipe in a pipe system Bixby uses because it has a tendency to cool off the exh to the point you get a lot of soot build up inside the pipe. Its OK if you have a single 3 foot piece out the wall but longer then that I would suggest using the regular 3 inch pellet pipe made for pellet stoves.
Ok.The last time I did that ended up getting soot all over my walls inside house. Obviously I did something wrong so hope I understand your instructions and do this right. Thanks.

When you buy your pellet pipe be sure to get what they call a starter pipe. This will fit a little tighter on the stove then the rest of the pipe. Next buy some high temp aluminum tape . wrap it around the small pipe on the stove. This will make a tighter fit and seal better. then when you assemble the rest of your three inch pipe wrap the joints with that tape. pay attention to the elbows and any cleanout tees. if there is seams on the elbows be sure to wrap them also. After putting it all together start the stove and check for leaks in joints elbows and tees using a flashlight shining on all the joints and seams. If you see smoke follow it back to find the leak. and wrap more tape . If you do this right you should have no leaks.
the smoke will be easy to see when the stove is first started. You can also use high temp clear silicone but don't smear it on the ends of pipe before you connect the pipes because that makes then hard to separate. slide on pipe into the other and then put the silicone over the connection. that way if you need to take it apart use a knife and cut the silicone or the tape.
It is important to have the room dark when you are using a flashlight looking for leaks as in the daylight it is hard to see.

When you buy your pellet pipe be sure to get what they call a starter pipe. This will fit a little tighter on the stove then the rest of the pipe. Next buy some high temp aluminum tape . wrap it around the small pipe on the stove. This will make a tighter fit and seal better. then when you assemble the rest of your three inch pipe wrap the joints with that tape. pay attention to the elbows and any cleanout tees. if there is seams on the elbows be sure to wrap them also. After putting it all together start the stove and check for leaks in joints elbows and tees using a flashlight shining on all the joints and seams. If you see smoke follow it back to find the leak. and wrap more tape . If you do this right you should have no leaks.
the smoke will be easy to see when the stove is first started. You can also use high temp clear silicone but don't smear it on the ends of pipe before you connect the pipes because that makes then hard to separate. slide on pipe into the other and then put the silicone over the connection. that way if you need to take it apart use a knife and cut the silicone or the tape.
It is important to have the room dark when you are using a flashlight looking for leaks as in the daylight it is hard to see.
Going back over your replys I noticed you don't use a endcap. If that's the case you are sucking exhaust back into the fresh air intake. You should add a foot of 3 inch exhaust with a 90 degree elbow so the exhaust doesn't get sucked into the fresh air intake. I buy some cheap light galvanized single wall pipe at Menards to do this. Less then 5 dollars for both the pipe and elbow. It may only last one season if you burn corn but its cheap.

Going back over your replys I noticed you don't use a endcap. If that's the case you are sucking exhaust back into the fresh air intake. You should add a foot of 3 inch exhaust with a 90 degree elbow so the exhaust doesn't get sucked into the fresh air intake. I buy some cheap light galvanized single wall pipe at Menards to do this. Less then 5 dollars for both the pipe and elbow. It may only last one season if you burn corn but its cheap.
Today I broke down my stove pipe. Removed 3inch plate cover pulled rubber hose and stuck it through the hole like you said. I started connecting 3inch exhaust pipe but didn't finish. Tomorrow I will get pvc pipe for fresh air intake. I do have high temp tape and will wrap joints. Is there any other pipe elbow I can use since Menards isn't near me?Thank you.