BJ's wholesale club charging Maine sales Tax!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtpack123

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Durham Maine
I bought a half ton of pellets at BJ's in Auburn Me on Saturday and noticed the 5% tax added to my receipt. I went back Sunday to let them know of my tax issue. The manager I talked to was sure that they were taxable. I disagreed and she refunded the tax but took down my name and number and called me today (Tuesday) to inform me that I was wrong and that the sales tax shift that was enacted in August included a sales tax on pellets. I am searching the maine statutes and can not find wood pellets mentioned anywhere. I am pretty sure BJ's is wrong but how can I win this case. I need some help.

i don't think it applies to pellets.. we aren't charging any tax on pellets: it heating fuel like home fuel oil, non taxable... even so, the recent tax increase on services and commodities is not due to take effect till january next yr... there is a big movement to repeal it on the ballot in november..

Totally non taxable.....If they bug you I would call your State Rep.'s office....

Heating fuel in the state of maine is non taxable, period! I ran into the same problem at a Hd in NH that wanted to charge me Tax for delivery in ME. last year. They refused to drop the tax: so I let them charge me the tax but made them take it off the delivery price in which they were happy to do as I was walking out the door. Being you are buying from a Maine store one would think they would know the laws.

The manager said the taxes were set by the corporate offices in Massachusetts. They do not know the law in Maine.

jtpack123 said:
The manager said the taxes were set by the corporate offices in Massachusetts...

That's a bunch of horse cookies. Regardless of where the "corporate offices" are, they do business in Maine so they for sure know what the laws are. IMO, the manager is trying to pull a fast one. Threaten to call the "corporate offices" and see what he says then.

jtpack123 said:
The manager said the taxes were set by the corporate offices in Massachusetts. They do not know the law in Maine.

Corporate may make decisions for them, but they have to follow the laws in each state.
For the record, there is no tax on wood pellets in Mass either.

I sent an e-mail to BJ's too. I hope they change this policy soon before anyone else gets screwed.

I "sort of" ran into this at HD in NH, last year. I say "sort of", because it was just an argument w/ the clerk, who was telling me, whilst preparing to enter the sale into the computer, that tax would be added due to the product being delivered to MA. and of course, I balked at it, explaining that there isn't any MA tax on pellets, etc, etc. poor girl didn't know what the heck to do. called for a manager, and continued to enter the info while waiting...and the computer didn't put the tax on. or it took it off...something. Point is: the computer knows.

I just pulled the trigger on 3 tons of Greene Team at the Lowe's across the street...still in NH, and being delivered to MA. No tax mentioned, nothing charged. Now, if I was having them deliver a refrigerator, the tax would be added in. as it should be...but its all in the computer.

Why another large "big-box" like bj's doesn't have this automated...? :question:

cac4 said:
....Why another large "big-box" like bj's doesn't have this automated...? :question:

It couldn't possibly be that they are hoping a lot of pellet buyers don't know the law, could it???? :mad:

I had this same issue with buying pellets in NJ. It was not at a big box store but it happened just the same. I sent a E-mail to our state tax office asking for clarification. They are not taxable in NJ. The state offered to refund the sales tax if I filled out a form and sent in the biil of sale. I sent the tax notice to the place I got the pellets from and they refunded the tax. They really don't want to open up that can of worms with the state taxing authority.

Bkins

I would make a big deal of it if they choose to not straighten it out for you. I have used my State Rep's office with great results....ALSO I have used Diana Ichton with News 13....she is a consumer reporter and puts these types of things on air. BOTH I have had super results with. No company wants to be brought to the carpet by way of the media :) Even if its only a couple dollars...its not right.

jtpack123 said:
I sent an e-mail to BJ's too. I hope they change this policy soon before anyone else gets screwed.

MainePellethead said:
. . . I have used Diana Ichton with News 13....she is a consumer reporter. . .

I have noticed that just adding a news channel as a cc at the bottom of a letter will usually get me my way. I used News Center 6 Health Watch years ago to help me out of a $1200 overcharge on radiology services. They called me up and asked me how $300 sounded. We agreed that was a more appropriate number.
Mike -

BJ's tax department just emailed me and they have determined that the pellets are non taxable and this will be changed in the system. We win the battle! Anyone who bought pellets from BJ's should bring in the receipt for a tax refund.

i would have to say this was probably the fault of someone entering the tax code on the item in the computer not knowing, or pushing the wrong button to have this in the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.