BK Ashford 20.2 for 950sq ft ranch style house work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lonetree

Feb 20, 2023
Tracy, CA
Hi. Just need to hear from someone with more BK experience than I. We are renovating a ranch home that will end up being 950sq ft ranch-style house. Ceilings are not vaulted and it will be a roof exit on the stove pipe. Though we do have access to furnace heat, there’s plenty of good almond wood out here and so we’d like the stove to be our primary (hopefully only) heat source through the winter months.

We’re excited at the possibility of experiencing the versatility of a cat stove and believe the Ashford 20.2 should be plenty for our little place (as opposed to the 30.2). Just wanted to check in and hear from some of you as to whether you believe that’s a correct assumption.

Thanks to everyone for all the info we’ve gleaned from these forums thus far!

You'll see a lot of BK guys say to just go ahead and get the 30.2. You can turn it low enough where it won't roast you, so why not have a bigger firebox? Not sure if they would say that in this case, though...that's not much area to heat.
How is the insulation and air-sealing? Is it windy there?
Almond is some primo heating wood! 👍

The point of such remarks is that the bottom end of the BTU output of the 20 and 30 boxes is about the same. So the 30 won't heat you out of the home more than the 20.

If space is an issue, take the 20 box.

The 30.1 was apparently the low-output king...so to speak. 😏

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 08-14-48 Woodstove Database Burnwise US EPA.png

Hey, just find one of my backup stoves used, a Dutchwest 2460. I think there are a lot of em out there. Make sure it's not overcooked, though. Save ya about $3-4K. 🤗👌

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 08-24-12 Woodstove Database Burnwise US EPA.png

Such good feedback. Thanks. To answer your questions, we are putting new wall and ceiling insulation and new windows in most of the house. So it should be buttoned up pretty well. The home is located in CA’s Central Valley, so it definitely gets windy.

If the dimensions work for you, I suggest the 30.2. I had the same dilemma trying to decide. So glad I got the 30.2. Longer burns between reloads. I have a 1200 sq. ft. house and because of the thermostat, we don't get cooked out.

Last edited:
If cost is a driving factor, then the 20.2 may be more attractive.

small one ,for that size house shouldn't be a problem .with a cat stove u can run it mild ,have a morso cast iron in a 900sqft house used to roast us out of house in middle of winter 1400 max sqft stove heating capacity.cali cool but not freezing cats perfect

I have a 1,000 sq ft ranch style house with a Chinook 20.2 newly purchased this winter. It's been great - on the low end, the house isn't boiling, and when it was -10 the other week I the house was 72 with the stove turned half-way up. Not much difference between fireboxes of the Ashford vs Chinook as I understand it.

I have a 1,000 sq ft ranch style house with a Chinook 20.2 newly purchased this winter. It's been great - on the low end, the house isn't boiling, and when it was -10 the other week I the house was 72 with the stove turned half-way up. Not much difference between fireboxes of the Ashford vs Chinook as I understand it.
That’s great info! Thanks so much for sharing that. Good to know that with that size of house you’re able to keep the temp controlled and comfortable instead of roasting everyone out. Thanks again.