BK Ashford 25 (and Sirocco 25)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey guys.
My stove is running much better. Still not getting amazing burn times: about 8-10hours on medium but at least I’m not loading it 5x a day. The cat glows for about 5 hours and then dims down yet stays active. When it falls out of active zone it still pumps out good heat.
I hatcheted all the bark off my oak a few loads at a Time and let the wood dry out even more. I purchased a cord of Madrone and am letting that dry in the house and garage as well.
I am much happier with the stove now however still disheartened that I’m not getting 15-20 hour burn times.

You are likely not going to realize advertised long burn times when set on medium. Most BK users in general get the long burn times by running on a very low setting. Definitely without active flame after the initial 20 to 30 minutes wide open. In my case leaving the fans off really extends the burn time. Guessing that is not much of a option with your insert. Good luck!

You are likely not going to realize advertised long burn times when set on medium. Most BK users in general get the long burn times by running on a very low setting. Definitely without active flame after the initial 20 to 30 minutes wide open. In my case leaving the fans off really extends the burn time. Guessing that is not much of a option with your insert. Good luck!

In my experience without the blower, it doesn’t throw enough heat out on low. I’m heating 1200 sqft down stairs. When I get it cranked up and cooking with the fan on med-high I can warm it up quick then turn it down. I get about 6 hours of good heat.

I’m still curious on what actual “burn times” means. Not sure if it’s from light to cold stove or useable heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience without the blower, it doesn’t throw enough heat out on low. I’m heating 1200 sqft down stairs. When I get it cranked up and cooking with the fan on med-high I can warm it up quick then turn it down. I get about 6 hours of good heat.

I’m still curious on what actual “burn times” means. Not sure if it’s from light to cold stove or useable heat.

I have had a 19 hour burn time and that was with the cat in active zone and No fan on low. 13-14 hours with the fan on low cat in the active zone.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I have had a 19 hour burn time and that was with the cat in active zone and No fan on low. 13-14 hours with the fan on low cat in the active zone.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

How? Are your splits huge?
Are you able to snap a pic when you reload again?

I’m real new at this so I’m still learning. :(

I can get a picture later this week. The insert is still down from the bypass gasket. I don’t think they are as big as some but they are average I’d say.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I can get a picture later this week. The insert is still down from the bypass gasket. I don’t think they are as big as some but they are average I’d say.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Oh yeah.. that’s right...that would be great to see what other folks are doing. Thanks!

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Oh that’s amazing! Unfortunately, for my living situation I cannot go on a low temperature other than 3 o’clock and fan in between medium/high. It’s doing very well for heating more than 2000 sq ft. With temps In low 30s. And our electricity bill has gone down by $150 in only 3 weeks time.

I have also noticed that the dryer the wood far better it runs and for longer.

Oh that’s amazing! Unfortunately, for my living situation I cannot go on a low temperature other than 3 o’clock and fan in between medium/high. It’s doing very well for heating more than 2000 sq ft. With temps In low 30s. And our electricity bill has gone down by $150 in only 3 weeks time.

I have also noticed that the dryer the wood far better it runs and for longer.

To be clear the 19 hour one was when the daytime temperature got up to almost 60. The 13-14 hour ones are usually a high of 45 or so. My ashford can heat my whole 1900 sqft house above freezing with occasional nighttime drops to high 20’s. When it’s consistently below freezing it would have to be at 3 o’clock or higher but I usually just keep it on low almost 2 o’clock so it stays with a 12-14 hour reload and if I need the heat I just start a load in the lopi. That way the ashford is always pumping heat out in the house.

I’m lucky enough to love in an area where we don’t have consistently low temps all the time especially during the day.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Test burn has commenced:
7522eda1f719ba2db2e949d1220bbb31.jpg
Stove is packed with as much as I could fit not to touch cat shield of bypass. Kiln dried wood and some of my wood. It took off at 6:00 PM EST.
8a558bdefec3e1d148d2084028323ad5.jpg

Fan is off, air control is on low. Bypass engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Test burn has commenced:
View attachment 238339
Stove is packed with as much as I could fit not to touch cat shield of bypass. Kiln dried wood and some of my wood. It took off at 6:00 PM EST.
View attachment 238340

Is that how you always load it? I always load north south unless I’m burning down coals.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Reactions: MissMac
Is that how you always load it? I always load north south unless I’m burning down coals.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Ive been known to load some strange ways but I think this might beat it. Whats the idea of the split off to the left? Used to divert air?

At the 4 hour and 25 min mark it’s still going strong. Pumping out a ton of heat, and not even half the wood has been consumed.
This test run consisted 15% Mc wood mixed in with 20% moisture content wood all oak. The results are pretty astounding what ready to burn “seasoned” wood can produce.

With the fan not even on, and the stove on low as I can get it... it’s hot!

With marginal wood the stove would need to be on medium high to produce a lot of heat and fan on medium high. This, in turn caused an increase burn rate of the wood.

Unfortunately I have to give up waiting at this point as it’s time for bed. But now I understand the importance of dry wood!

Honestly that seems like a full load in my 2.0 sirocco, because of how you loaded it. That said it would last me 6-7 hours in a cold stove and 10-12 hours on a reload.

Now that is on lowest setting on my stove tho.

I'll be driving through Chat at the end of the first week in Feb or thereabouts. Let me at it>> Haaaaa!

Also. Your pic of a "full load". Isn't nearly full:p Think about sliding your primary e-w load of splits completely to one side right against the firebrick. Waste not want not! Stack your open side completely full. After that load is up and burning hot it wont make a difference on split orientation.
I much prefer my BK performance on N-S loading but understand you may not be able to fit your current splits in that way. Got a chop saw? It may be worth preparing a few loads worth to fit N-S for a comparison.

Don't get discouraged. Lots of stories from new guys that are getting up to speed a tad slower than they had hoped! On all makes/models of stoves.

I’ll try that and I’ll even break out the chop saw if need be. I’m trying to stack as much as I can without touching or bumping the cat shied or bypass. I do think N/S will allow me to use more sq.in of the stove and create more heat. Tomorrow morning I’ll see if it’s any better than this morning which... was a nearly cold stove.

Test burn has commenced:
View attachment 238339
View attachment 238340

Stuff that fire box full! I see lot of gaps for more wood in there - try N-S like some others have said.

Here is tonight’s load. I agree the tapered box is a pain sometimes but it works.
I could usually find some splits that were bigger at one end, and get the box pretty full.

5pm load. Will reload at midnight or before we go to bed.
Stay warm!

Attachments

• 31945418-1421-43D0-A223-77C7F2C4986A.jpeg
    31945418-1421-43D0-A223-77C7F2C4986A.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 292
Ok folks, I’m making the plunge! I’ve been reading these forums (anything from Regency CI2600 to BK) for 3 straight days. It’s curently 4 in the morning, I’m losing sleep over this stuff!!!

Ashford or Sirocco? That is the question! Love the princess but I’d have to modify my hearth and I can’t afford to lose the real estate in my living room. I’d like to heat the house as much as I can with the stove (approx. 2000 sq/ft ranch). I understand the Sirocco and ashford are the same insert with a different face. My question is, is it unrealistic to think it would heat my ranch home, and is the Ashford that much nicer looking than the Sirocco? I can get the Siracco 25 for $500 off (totaling $2700, no tax, no shipping.) Where as id have to order the Ashford and pay the tax and shipping. If it’s that much nicer, I’ll spend the additional cash.

Really appreciate any help folks!

Identical firebox. All you are asking...which one looks better. You and your family should decide.

Ok folks, I’m making the plunge! I’ve been reading these forums (anything from Regency CI2600 to BK) for 3 straight days. It’s curently 4 in the morning, I’m losing sleep over this stuff!!!

Ashford or Sirocco? That is the question! Love the princess but I’d have to modify my hearth and I can’t afford to lose the real estate in my living room. I’d like to heat the house as much as I can with the stove (approx. 2000 sq/ft ranch). I understand the Sirocco and ashford are the same insert with a different face. My question is, is it unrealistic to think it would heat my ranch home, and is the Ashford that much nicer looking than the Sirocco? I can get the Siracco 25 for $500 off (totaling $2700, no tax, no shipping.) Where as id have to order the Ashford and pay the tax and shipping. If it’s that much nicer, I’ll spend the additional cash.

Really appreciate any help folks!

Depends on the style you like. The scirocco is nice but a more modern look. It also has in my opinion an easier to read cat gauge. The princess has the normal bi metallic gauge and if the wife would have let me I would have went with that one. The ashford looks more like my other stove that’s why she wanted that one. Really can’t go wrong with either of them.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25