BK Ashford 25 (and Sirocco 25)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Has anyone else had issues with the wooden door handle coming loose? It looks like the metal just slides into a slot and is held in there with silicone. Today I noticed that the wooden handle now twists a bit around that rectangular shaft like a motorcycle throttle and is coming loose. I don't think I've been exerting any significant twisting force when opening or closing the door, but who knows.

First issue I've had, and have loved it otherwise.

Reactions: putdownfox
Has anyone else had issues with the wooden door handle coming loose? It looks like the metal just slides into a slot and is held in there with silicone. Today I noticed that the wooden handle now twists a bit around that rectangular shaft like a motorcycle throttle and is coming loose. I don't think I've been exerting any significant twisting force when opening or closing the door, but who knows.

First issue I've had, and have loved it otherwise.
Contact the dealer or pull the handle and place red RTV on metal shaft and reinsert onto metal shaft.

Thanks
BKVP

I would buy it again. Like mellow said, DRY wood is a must to get the most out of this stove. I’m getting ready to start season three with mine. I burn 24/7 for at least 4 months and off and on for another two.
my handle is still tight and I’ve never had a problem with it. The only complaint on the stove I have is I wish the combustor sat higher up in the stove. It’s always in the way when loading. That’s my small nit pick, other than that I love it.

Restarting this thread - What's the latest and greatest on how you're all liking the stove? I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the Ashford 25 or the Lopi medium flush (nexgen, not hybrid). Have there been any improvements to the unit since the original models came out? Would you buy it again if you could do it over? My main concern is the black glass - can I run on medium/high and avoid that all together?

I just recently rediscovered this post, and it's been 2+ years now with our BK Ashford insert. I think it will be helpful for some to update my situation coming from your average Joe who is definitely a lot less knowledge and handy than most on this forum.

First off, the stove window is very large and looks sharp. Last season in NH was one of the warmest on record but even so, the oil furnace never kicked on once last winter for the zone with the BK, but we had it running almost 24/7 - we live in a +-2200 SF ranch. The way it's layed out, this heated about 2/3 of the house and kept the main family room about 65-68 degrees typically.

However, the initial problems in my original post were extremely frustrating. After speaking our local rep multiple times and then with BK corporate (and showing them a video of smoke gathering when I activated the CAT, it was confirmed draft was the issue, even with installed 6" double insulated liner (lacking correct name)

Local installer (who is also chimney mason and sweep probably should have known or tested for sufficient draft in my opinion - but benefit of the doubt here) claims he will no longer install BK unless chimney height is above BK minimum - I can look into our chimney height if someone is interested, I don't know off hand.

Season 1 was frustrating. Burning through wood almost as if it were still an open fireplace, throwing ok heat, almost never reaching min CAT temp to even activate it. Entire season with no steady CAT activation.

Had chimney extended 3' that Summer. Next burning season was night and day. Easily achieved CAT min temp, would stay in zone and really threw out more heat.

Here are some tips/issues/red flags I wish I had known from the start:

1- make sure you're burning dry wood - I didn't use a moisture meter until later, and turns out mine was pretty dry, but not always the dryest.

2- When activating the CAT push it in ALL the way. I used to try pushing it in half way, 3/4 of the way as I wasn't sure, spoke to BK corp and they informed me I was doing it wrong most of the time. Keep it all the way out when getting up to temp.

3- if you smell smoke, almost pleasant smell of smoke and/or see slow billowing flames curling to the window in CAT mode, you may have a draft issue like I did.

4- If things are working properly you should see the CAT honeycombes glow orange, at least a few of them turn orange, after frustrating times there is not much better than seeing all of them glow orange.

5- just found this out. If stove isn't reaching CAT activation zone easily, and it used to - take a look at honeycombes. They should be clean, mine were covered in soot. Shop vac isn't enough, I used a cheap watercolor paintbrush, stuck it in every comb and brushed entire surface area. Next load and a week later they are all glowing orange as you can see in the pic.

Don't mean to write a novel, but I hope that this is helpful info for some.

Would I buy it again???? The answer is yes, but it would be a stronger "yes" if not for all of the issues. I love waking up and starting the fire, it extremely cool looking with the big display window, I have access to firewood and I prefer the heat from a wood stove. I haven't experienced the really long burn times I read about, but 3-5 hours or so of good heat works for me.

Couple of pics from today, wanted to show the orange glow of the combs with activated CAT but hard to see.

Attachments

• IMG_20210104_004216094.jpg
    IMG_20210104_004216094.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20210104_004246969.jpg
    IMG_20210104_004246969.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 294
So just purchased my Sirocco 25, and have had it burning for almost a month now pretty much continuously. The black glass hasn't seemed to be an issue on high or medium. On low the black glass definitely comes into effect, but since there are no flames really, I don't see that as an issue. I've been able to burn off most of the black on the glass after a 4-5 hours burn on high, which from what I've been reading seems to be a common "once a week" kind of practice for many who are burning low and slow all the time, for both liner and glass "maintenance"

Overall I’m happy with my ashford 25 insert, mines in a masonry fireplace with about 25’ of uninsulated liner. Lowest I can run on is at about 2:45-3:00 on the swoosh, lower than that my cat will stall, or the house stinks like a creosote smell. I can get about 10 hrs of good heat and reload on coals. I’d be curious to hear if anyone gets 20 hrs as advertised. I’d say it does 80% of my heating for my two story 2000 sq ft home

Reactions: Raoul
Overall I’m happy with my ashford 25 insert, mines in a masonry fireplace with about 25’ of uninsulated liner. Lowest I can run on is at about 2:45-3:00 on the swoosh, lower than that my cat will stall, or the house stinks like a creosote smell. I can get about 10 hrs of good heat and reload on coals. I’d be curious to hear if anyone gets 20 hrs as advertised. I’d say it does 80% of my heating for my two story 2000 sq ft home

My Ashford runs EXACTLY the same way.

We also get the stink if going below 2:30/3:00. Makes me wonder if a longer burn would be possible.

Anyhow we still love it.

C1FD2DBF-F345-4665-9B02-D14F283D36F2.jpeg

Honestly running it on low doesn't really put off a ton of heat, in my opinion. It's nice to run on lowish overnight to avoid reloading, but in order to put out a good amount of heat I find I need to run it on medium high to high. The room it's in gets nice and toasty, but that room is on the side of my house and the heat doesn't really go throughout the house. What are your thoughts on the blowers on these units? I don't know if it's just mine, but it doesn't really seem to pump a ton of volume, but maybe that's really not needed. I also find that my rheostat turns the blower off at the very highest setting (the setting right before the click to turn it off). So I have to go a little past that in order for my ran to run on "high", which might actually be a little less than high, if there's actually something wrong with the rheostat.

Honestly running it on low doesn't really put off a ton of heat, in my opinion. It's nice to run on lowish overnight to avoid reloading, but in order to put out a good amount of heat I find I need to run it on medium high to high. The room it's in gets nice and toasty, but that room is on the side of my house and the heat doesn't really go throughout the house. What are your thoughts on the blowers on these units? I don't know if it's just mine, but it doesn't really seem to pump a ton of volume, but maybe that's really not needed. I also find that my rheostat turns the blower off at the very highest setting (the setting right before the click to turn it off). So I have to go a little past that in order for my ran to run on "high", which might actually be a little less than high, if there's actually something wrong with the rheostat.

The fan control on mine is “high” right next to off (full counter clockwise). I only ever run mine on the lowest setting or most recently off entirely. I have a 1920 house so it is not open concept in any sense. Also here in western Washington winter is pretty mild.

The heat coming from that blower is hot as hell.

Man, you guys like playing Russian roulette with the lack of front hearth space with the wide doors, I always had had embers hitching a ride and falling off by the handle when I had the door open.
I plan on adding a few rows of tile in front once I get my carpet replaced in this room. So far I'm very careful and haven't had any major issues.

how far does the firebox protrude from the hearth wall on the Ashford? My understanding was code in the USA is 16" from the front face of the body of the unit but the manual only lists the max point (ash lip)

I'm joining the club here on 2/15 and just want to know if I'll need added protection

Thanks

I had a conversation this morning witha person installing a unit. They were trying to figure out the tightest possible scenario because they "minimum everything".

I told them minimums are just that! In Canada the ember protection clearances include 18" minimum.
@bholler can probably confirm this as he sweeps and services so many units...there is always a ember mark just beyond that minimum!

I have 20"in front of my KE40....not any issue so far...

Reactions: bholler
I had a conversation this morning witha person installing a unit. They were trying to figure out the tightest possible scenario because they "minimum everything".

I told them minimums are just that! In Canada the ember protection clearances include 18" minimum.
@bholler can probably confirm this as he sweeps and services so many units...there is always a ember mark just beyond that minimum!

Agreed I never go with minimums

really fair point
My plan is to get an extension pad - i'm just wondering if i need to have it in for permitting

how far does the firebox protrude from the hearth wall on the Ashford? My understanding was code in the USA is 16" from the front face of the body of the unit but the manual only lists the max point (ash lip)

I'm joining the club here on 2/15 and just want to know if I'll need added protection

Thanks
The front of the glass is about 3.5-4 inches from the fireplace front

My dealer told me permits were not required for installation. My insurance added coverage and only asked me if it was professionally installed.
In many cases a permit is not required that depends upon local regulations. But you are still required to install to code inspection or not.