BK Ashford 30.2 Door Handle Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ratsrepus

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2018
Howell, Mi
I just checked mine and it does the same thing. In 4 years Ive never shut the door with the handle down, so Im wondering why you are. When I open the door to load, the handle stays in the up or open posistion

so what happened to all the reply's
?

so what happened to all the reply's
?

“They” have been just sweeping everything BK related into the BK thread. That and being liberal with deleting posts.

How do you navigate to the BK thread?

How do you navigate to the BK thread?

That's the problem with sweeping everything from a particular brand into one thread. You either need to read the whole thing (and there's a new one each year) or try and use the search function to ferret out the answers.

If this was a good idea then you would have a Lopi thread, a VC thread, a Hearthstone thread, etc. That might be okay if you had separate forums for each brand so that you could have individual topics.

This is totally up to the admin though, this is their house and if we don't like it we are all free to head over to the other wood heat forum that doesn't sweep everything BK into a hole. They don't go around deleting posts either.

Reactions: MTASH
“They” have been just sweeping everything BK related into the BK thread. That and being liberal with deleting posts.
No posts were deleted. BK maintainance issues have been moved to the all things BK for almost a decade now. If folks didn't use that thread for jawing about their dogs and hobbies then it would be easier to follow.

IMO the forum needs separate subforums for the major brands to make it easier for tracking, but that is up to webfish and not the mods.

I think there in fact is a VC thread? Not for every brand, but for VC there is.

No dogs (or time for hobbies) here... other than the stove ==c

I think there in fact is a VC thread? Not for every brand, but for VC there is.

Yes, there is one for the Regency ci2600/2700 too, but threads are cumbersome when they aggregate hundreds of posts. One loses specific topics like the door handle issue. If there were sub-forums for the major brands like Jotul, Lopi, BK, VC, PE, Regency, Quad, Hearthstone and another for other stoves, finding issues might be easier. It's more moderating work, but it would make the site more easily searchable for stoves that are more complex and have more operational and maintenance posts.

That's what the Inglenook is for.

Reactions: stoveliker
It's possible. Political posts, personal slurs, etc. will be deleted and have been all along. I don't recall any recently, but I'm not on 24/7.

Well, I'll cast my vote for
1) a few brand specific forums rather than a single thread.
or 2) not sweeping everything into 1 thread.

When I had some questions on BK stoves I found the everything thread difficult to navigate - trying to follow 1 subject with 3 subjects ongoing, or just finding things of interest in the middle of too many pages. Item 2) would at least be easier on the mods.
🔥

I thought the main BK threads were for discussing performance and operation. They used to be called the Performance Threads until this year. I also thought general sometimes discontinuous jabber was the point of having a thread like that (i.,e. Everything).

Makes no sense to lump all maintenance topics or questions into one thread. That is completely contrary to how a forum is supposed to work and makes following and searching topics miserable.

I thought the main BK threads were for discussing performance and operation. They used to be called the Performance Threads until this year. I also thought general sometimes discontinuous jabber was the point of having a thread like that (i.,e. Everything).

Makes no sense to lump all maintenance topics or questions into one thread. That is completely contrary to how a forum is supposed to work and makes following and searching topics miserable.
Agreed it can be hard for folks to have to wade through dozens of pages of individual threads on one stove. It's also miserable for folks who don't have a stove to have to wade through dozens of posts on one stove in the main forum. This happened in the past when for a time a small group essentially overwhelmed the forum with Woodstock postings. It was intentional and we got several complaints about it. As a result, some were asked to leave. Separate forums for the major brands seems to be the best solution. I've passed the suggestion up to the boss. Us mods are just the janitors here.

Last edited:
It's possible. Political posts, personal slurs, etc. will be deleted and have been all along. I don't recall any recently, but I'm not on 24/7.
You know I'm careful not to do that. The deleter was violating forum rules himself and likely embarrassed. It's okay, not your fault.

Reactions: ratsrepus
That's the problem with sweeping everything from a particular brand into one thread. You either need to read the whole thing (and there's a new one each year) or try and use the search function to ferret out the answers.

If this was a good idea then you would have a Lopi thread, a VC thread, a Hearthstone thread, etc. That might be okay if you had separate forums for each brand so that you could have individual topics.

This is totally up to the admin though, this is their house and if we don't like it we are all free to head over to the other wood heat forum that doesn't sweep everything BK into a hole. They don't go around deleting posts either.

No posts were deleted. BK maintainance issues have been moved to the all things BK for almost a decade now. If folks didn't use that thread for jawing about their dogs and hobbies then it would be easier to follow.

IMO the forum needs separate subforums for the major brands to make it easier for tracking, but that is up to webfish and not the mods.
I think sub forums for brands would be a great a idea!

. If there were sub-forums for the major brands like Jotul, Lopi, BK, VC, PE, Regency, Quad, Hearthstone and another for other stoves, finding issues might be easier.
I like this idea very much.

One thing to keep in mind, is credibility. As a person that gets dozens of phone calls everyday, we often get comments about "online forums". "Those characters are amazing and their contributions are also important."

I think some of the banter or jibber jabber allows a non posting person to get a "read" on those that do contribute. I get lots of comments about "That so and so guy must not have a job" or "that guy really hates people that like a specific stove" or "the difference in opinion is because they wouldn't both agree to run out of a building on fire".

It's fun for me to get this feedback. Consumers see a significant benefit to this and other sites and it helps to have an idea about the nature of the contributors. Food for thought!

So a remark like "That BKVP is so helpful" would have to be taken with a grain of salt...? :p

Reactions: BKVP
One thing to keep in mind, is credibility. As a person that gets dozens of phone calls everyday, we often get comments about "online forums". "Those characters are amazing and their contributions are also important."

I think some of the banter or jibber jabber allows a non posting person to get a "read" on those that do contribute. I get lots of comments about "That so and so guy must not have a job" or "that guy really hates people that like a specific stove" or "the difference in opinion is because they wouldn't both agree to run out of a building on fire".

It's fun for me to get this feedback. Consumers see a significant benefit to this and other sites and it helps to have an idea about the nature of the contributors. Food for thought!

Well this is a community of posters that are here for leisure and recreation and not employment. It is normal and good to see differing opinions on some things. You must expect that we're not all business all the time. It's the reason that we all know about your old car and the truck you drive, or the fish and fine beverages you enjoy.

I'll add, think of me and @bholler like brothers, we agree on most things but on the one or two things we don't agree we are both stubborn! We would both leave a burning building and I'd like to think we'd both drag one another out if the other guy was injured.

Last edited: