BK Princess OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mine is not insulated. Total length is only 39".
Mine is also not insulated and similar in length but drawing air from a ventilated crawl space under the home.

Oh I think last year Fairbanks didn't break -40 for 2 weeks...

Forgive me if I'm mixing names with stories, but I think Poindexter had been posting about going outside every few hours to start his car and warm it up during the night, to keep the battery from freezing.

Forgive me if I'm mixing names with stories, but I think Poindexter had been posting about going outside every few hours to start his car and warm it up during the night, to keep the battery from freezing.
I think he makes fires under his car block to keep the oil from freezing😜

I think it was poindextor im thinking of too that mentioned it being -30. At the time it was in the teens here. I thought wow it’s still really cold there. Lol.

He could buy a heating pad, wrap the battery and leave it on high...with insulation as well!

I think it was poindextor im thinking of too that mentioned it being -30. At the time it was in the teens here. I thought wow it’s still really cold there. Lol.
I met with a Senator a few years ago in Fairbanks. When we landed the Delta pilot said "Welcome to Fairbanks, where it's a balmy negative 44! Please exit swiftly so our flight attendants do not become Popsicles."

Reactions: Ashful
The dealer called today and said the stove is there. I’m going by to get it in the next couple days.
It’s gotta come apart to go in my house, and I’m trying to figure out if I want to take it apart at the dealer and put it in the back of my van, or put it on the trailer whole.

I know it will be more of a pain to get it in the back of the van, but I would feel a lot better transporting a $5k stove in the van and not on the trailer. Haha

I honestly don’t know why they have to put it together at the dealer at all, but maybe it’s to check the fit and finish for defects.

I’m thinking if I take the firebox, pedestal, door, and fan apart, it won’t be bad carrying it into the house. From the BK website, the heaviest part is the firebox. They say it’s 370 lbs

Lol.

My wife asked me why we aren’t having the dealer deliver the stove. I told her about the recent thread I read where the dealer wanted 750$ to deliver the stove and bring it in the house. That dealer was an hour away and so is mine. I bet it would be a similar price. And I’m way, way too cheap for that.

My wife helped me carry in the current stove, and she will help with this one too. Hopefully.... :)

I’m taking apart the old stove right now.

Our stove is pushing 600 lbs. Two old guys and a boy moved it in. The trick is to get wheels on it. That makes moving much easier. We removed nothing from the stove.

Remove the door, pedestal, side shields (narrower and keeps them from getting scratched), fans, and if you take good pictures, remove the bricks carefully. But the most important part is to get a half-rack of beer and invite a buddy or two over to help drink it. Have the stove blocking the door when they arrive. They'll help move it for the free beer. Believe me, it works!

Maybe I can use this as an excuse to get a nicer hand truck. I have an older one that needs new tubes. The tires stay aired up for about 5 minutes tops. Haha
My hand truck is not really good for moving appliances, or anything except for large speakers. Think I got it for 5$ at a yard sale. I see that Harbor Freight sells some decent looking ones.

When I bought my last stove the seller had a really nice appliance dolly. It had a couple straps built in. It moved the stove with no problem.

I’ve used beer as a motivator before. The most important thing is to do the job before drinking the beer. If the beer is consumed first, sometimes the job doesn’t get done, or mistakes are made :)

Reactions: begreen
Lol.

My wife asked me why we aren’t having the dealer deliver the stove. I told her about the recent thread I read where the dealer wanted 750$ to deliver the stove and bring it in the house. That dealer was an hour away and so is mine. I bet it would be a similar price. And I’m way, way too cheap for that.

My wife helped me carry in the current stove, and she will help with this one too. Hopefully.... :)

I’m taking apart the old stove right now.
The dealer next to me will deliver up to 45 minutes for $150, where I bought my stove they wanted a ton of money. Upwards of that 750 and that was to have a pickup truck sitting there waiting for ME to help pull it down, from a pickup truck.

So I bought a trailer that I can use for many purposes, drove up and had them put it on my trailer, then I backed up to where I could put the ramp down onto the second stair. Only two more to go. I used wood blocking to level the stove between each stair, and lifted one corner at a time up onto the stairs. 3 stairs total, me and my buddy

That’s pretty much how I got my last stove in. I took the stairs off going up to the house and backed the trailer right up to the door. I had to lift the stove a little at a time until it was the same height as the floor. Then I got some boards and slid the stove inside.

My house doors are about 3’ off the ground. Getting it in the house is the only real issue. Once inside I have some of the small wheeled furniture dollies I can use to move it around.

Remove the door, pedestal, side shields (narrower and keeps them from getting scratched), fans, and if you take good pictures, remove the bricks carefully. But the most important part is to get a half-rack of beer and invite a buddy or two over to help drink it. Have the stove blocking the door when they arrive. They'll help move it for the free beer. Believe me, it works!
You are forgetting two parts: store the beer INSIDE and out of sight, and have the smell of pizza wafting out that blocked door.

Reactions: DonTee and BKVP
geez... I don't like hearing these stories.

I guess I got lucky. My BK dealer not only gave me a very healthy discount off MSRP, but also delivered two stoves for free, from almost an hour away. They would deliver to driveway or to hearth, both free, if the path was clear and the hearth was prepared in advance. In other words, make it easy for them, and they'll make it easy for you.

These were the young guys at Chimney and Fireplace Professionals, if you happen to be anywhere near the Delaware Valley, between Philly and Easton. Good people.

The dealer next to me will deliver up to 45 minutes for $150, where I bought my stove they wanted a ton of money. Upwards of that 750 and that was to have a pickup truck sitting there waiting for ME to help pull it down, from a pickup truck.

So I bought a trailer that I can use for many purposes, drove up and had them put it on my trailer, then I backed up to where I could put the ramp down onto the second stair. Only two more to go. I used wood blocking to level the stove between each stair, and lifted one corner at a time up onto the stairs. 3 stairs total, me and my buddy
Buddy and no beer? That's a real buddy!

Reactions: stoveliker
I picked up the stove yesterday I followed BKVP’s advice and removed the side shields, ash drawer, fire bricks, cat cover, door, and fans. My wife, oldest daughter, and I carried it in.

I asked the guys at the dealer how hard it was take apart. (The things I mentioned above). They made it sound like it was very difficult, and that I shouldn’t attempt it.

I noticed that the pedestal is only installed wish some screws from the bottom. And they didn’t even tighten the screws all the way. So maybe I should be worried about their work and not them worried about mine. Lol

I also asked them why they assemble it at the dealer. I asked if it was the check for shipping damage or fit and finish of the stove. They told me no not really. They assemble it as a liability thing.

So overall I’m not super impressed with the dealer. But the support ive gotten from Blaze king has been excellent. The stove looks to be nice quality, and was very easy to disassemble to move.

I have to finish some chimney work before I have the first fire. This year I’m moving the chimney closer to the house to eliminate some of the horizontal run. It should cut down on creosote that was building up in the horizontal section.

I still need to get the adaptor to hook up the oak. The first few fires will be without it. I’m wishing the stove was hooked up now. It’s in the low 50’s today and windy. The wife is already complaining about not having a fire. It’s only a matter of time before everyone is complaining about how hot it is in the house again. That’s how it was all last winter. Haha

I picked up the stove yesterday I followed BKVP’s advice and removed the side shields, ash drawer, fire bricks, cat cover, door, and fans. My wife, oldest daughter, and I carried it in.

I asked the guys at the dealer how hard it was take apart. (The things I mentioned above). They made it sound like it was very difficult, and that I shouldn’t attempt it.

I noticed that the pedestal is only installed wish some screws from the bottom. And they didn’t even tighten the screws all the way. So maybe I should be worried about their work and not them worried about mine. Lol

I also asked them why they assemble it at the dealer. I asked if it was the check for shipping damage or fit and finish of the stove. They told me no not really. They assemble it as a liability thing.

So overall I’m not super impressed with the dealer. But the support ive gotten from Blaze king has been excellent. The stove looks to be nice quality, and was very easy to disassemble to move.

I have to finish some chimney work before I have the first fire. This year I’m moving the chimney closer to the house to eliminate some of the horizontal run. It should cut down on creosote that was building up in the horizontal section.

I still need to get the adaptor to hook up the oak. The first few fires will be without it. I’m wishing the stove was hooked up now. It’s in the low 50’s today and windy. The wife is already complaining about not having a fire. It’s only a matter of time before everyone is complaining about how hot it is in the house again. That’s how it was all last winter. Haha
Remember...the paint needs to cure, so send them shopping!

I already warned my wife about that. Hoping to have some fires while it’s warm enough to have the windows open too

I already warned my wife about that. Hoping to have some fires while it’s warm enough to have the windows open too
Take BKVP's advice, do it when they're not home. Although it never bothered me, after 30 years of working on running hotrods and spraying various paints and varnishes, I sure got an earful from my wife with each stove break-in. Even the ones I couldn't smell at all. It seems that at least some women have a unique sensitivity to the smoke billowing off curing stove paint, that most men I know completely lack.

Now... the smell of racing fuel exhaust out of open headers in a closed garage in January... that's like perfume.

Reactions: BKVP
Steel stoves don’t really have a break in procedure, that’s more an issue with cast iron construction. Have a small fire first, to be sure everything is working properly, then you’re good for a full load on your second go with it, burn as normal.