BK Princess or Ashford 25 minimum fireplace opening questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdeadstein

Jan 29, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
So it looks like the BK Princess minimum firebox size is 25" x 23½" x 13" (w x h x d).

My firebox height is 24". I am a little concerned that although i am right at the minimum height that this would be a very difficult install. It looks like it would be pretty hard to get the flue duct attached.

I'd appreciate some advice on that as the Princess is my #1 option.

Alternatively, the Ashford will fit HxW wise but my fireplace is 18" deep. Now the Ashford minimum firebox opening is 28" x 21¾" x 18½". But the diagram shows the depth of of the Ashford to eb 18".

I'm waffling between the two choices....deal with the ~1/2" or less that the Ashford would stick out from the firebox and just fit up some thing to fudge that 1/2" along with the surround. Or take the chance on ordering the Princess and possibly not be able to get it installed.

Any advice would be appreciated. Can upload pics of the fireplace later.

Where are you measuring 18” deep on your fireplace? On the floor where the insert will sit or at its shallowest part?

The princess is not 23 1/2” tall that number is probably there for access to get the liner connected but still specs sheets show 22 3/4” tall. So it would be a tight fit. Or it’s there so you have airspace around the insert.

Probably same goes for the ashford it shows only 18” deep but it’s most likely an airspace issue. But the manual for the ashford shows a minimum of 19”. Might want to contact blaze king and see exactly what they need. Or message BKVP on here.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

The 18" is across the floor front to back. I have plenty of height in the back of the fireplace so that isn't a concern.

The dealer I talked to wasn't concerned about me having to push the back of the unit up against the brick but you bring up a good point on air circulation.

It does seem like the Princess would work, I mean my fireplace dimensions meet the min numbers. I think I will try contacting Blaze King.

The Ashford/Sirocco 25 have a nifty way to connect the liner to the insert, makes installing the insert a breeze if that helps any. I have pictures of it in my review.

Your thread is great! So you can slide the entire unit into the fireplace and connect the adapter from the inside?

Yes that is how it works. You just have to make sure it is hanging low enough to slide into it. It is pretty nice feature but I’ve never has to install a liner the old way so no clue on ease of use.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

The other way sometimes involves tipping the insert back or forward or sideways to get the appliance adapter into the exhaust no matter where it is on top, flexible liners are not really that flexible. This way you hook the adapter up beforehand and leave it hanging and then slide the insert in and grab the adapter through the firebox and seat it against the back wall of the insert then tighten the nuts. The hardest part is figuring out how low to let it hang.

Thanks for the info on this. I didn't see it mentioned in the documentation on the Blaze King site. Do you know if this install method applies to the Princess as well or is it just the sirocco/ashford?

Just gonna leave some info here incase someone searches for this in the future. Much of what Blaze King told me echos the good info already in this thread.

Called Blaze King:

RE: Princess Insert Minimum fireplace height req

The max height of the exhaust port on the back of the princess is 22 3/4". It is possible to do the install in the 23 1/2" minimum fireplace opening. It "would be challenging" and "how big are your arms?" were some comments I received from the support person. The Princess Insert does not have a flue adapter like the Ashford that allows for the final connection to be made with the stove fully installed. The flue pipe is attached to the exhaust port and then the stove is slid into final position.

RE: Ashford minimum depth requirement

The support person called the shop and they were confident that the Ashford or Scirocco could be installed in an 18" deep fireplace. The max depth of the insert is 18 3/8". The minimum fireplace depth quoted is 19". However, installing the insert in an 18" deep fireplace... the shroud should be able to make up any difference with any fitment.

The ashford can be installed flush up against the back of a masonry fireplace. There is no concern on air gap.