BK T-stat Settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get that key damper out of there. You won't ever need it.

I will add that my stove is barley closed at 1.5. At 1, it is closed more firmly.

That key damper section is the double wall appliance adapter that I had on hand from a previous project. I know I don't need the damper but I don't look forward to replacing that whole section. As it is, the operating shaft of the damper sits in oversized holes that are leaks into my flue. So not only is there junk in the flue but the leaks also hurt draft. Ugh, I suppose I ought to look for a smooth adapter as step #2 after bumping up the stat to 1.5 tonight.

The manual, as I recall, spec'd out the minimum length for installation in a mobile home which I don't have but the stove doesn't know that.

Your 'shoulder season' is extensive, yes? You'll have time to figure it out ;lol

Yes, 13-14 well within spec plus ideal vertical and double wall. If I can overcome the cat stall issue by just giving it more air during the warmish shoulder season then that would be best. Oh, and my appliance adapter has a fully open key damper in it which surely causes some restriction. Not sure how much though. Do you think the key damper is a problem?

That spec is the required minimum/least allowable. Thats MINIMUM. Aliens prefer better than minimum.;) I know your better than that HB.

That spec is the required minimum/least allowable. Thats MINIMUM. Aliens prefer better than minimum.;) I know your better than that HB.

Yes, a long shoulder season, we normally burn from mid september to mid june.

I only have a single story house and the stack is already much taller than the ridgeline. I'm going to stick with the length I have as long as possible. I would sooner slather furnace cement on the joints than add a section to the top of my stack.

The manual requires 12 feet minimum from stove top to top of stack on page 16 of the online manual.

I would go 1.5 HB then see how it does when the temps drop, I dont think it will that much of s difference going from 1 to 1.5.

The manual requires 12 feet minimum from stove top to top of stack on page 16 of the online manual.

Is the base of Mt. Rainier sea level or higher? Maybe check it with a manometer to see if the draft is sufficient, I don't see specs on it for a low burn so it may not be helpful.

Sorry, just about 750' above sea level. In the cascade foothills. I saw the high burn specs for manometer and a key damper if it is too high.

I have some things to try and this stove has been really amazing so far so I'm anxious to tune it for even better results.

I loaded up 4-5 pretty big soft maple splits a couple of hours ago. They were a bit long, so I put them in E/W. Never again, at least not for a low burn. Took forever to get them going, and there is no way I can run it as low as a N/S load. The cat falls way off, but if I tweak it just a tiny bit it takes off back up to 600°, with the cat at the end of the active zone. It may not make a difference in colder weather, but right now it's making me hot :mad:

Yeah, still learning the stove, that's why I'm curious what others are doing.

My settings are differten on my insert than what you guys have, I have 9 dots that I cant see in the semi dark so I go by feel, being its my 4th year I can put it right where I want by feel. I almost always run it low though, maybe its on the 3rd dot on a cold day, probably on the 1st dot on a milder day. On a cold day Ill turn it up towards the end of the burn to get more heat.

Sorry, just about 750' above sea level. In the cascade foothills. I saw the high burn specs for manometer and a key damper if it is too high.

I have some things to try and this stove has been really amazing so far so I'm anxious to tune it for even better results.

Elevation shouldn't be the problem. :) Maybe knock out the damper and plug the holes with screws or bolts for a test, if it works have the holes welded or brazed over. I think it was papadave who had some smoke spillage issues with a damper in his pipe.

I get some minor smoke spillage when it's warm but I don't have the recommended rise before an elbow. I have 31 inches and they recommend 36, I also have a 90. I may try the 2 45's but that would put the first turn lower. I may try it just for kicks since the smoke drives me crazy even if it only lasts for a few minutes once a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.